• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the train tavern..gt lister st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
what a sad and forlorn pic this is:(.....i guess i know the answer but can anyone say if this pub by some miracle is still there....

astoness

Attachments

• Nechells The Train Tavern Great Francis Street 1963.jpg
    Nechells The Train Tavern Great Francis Street 1963.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 9
Lyn

I posted this the other day, on the Melvina Rd thread. The caption on it is quite wrong I know it says Great Lister St, but its not there, even the street name says Little Hall Rd, which it might have been by then, but The Train Tavern was on Great Francis St as I remember It.

Sandwiched between the pub and the tower block you can just make out in the distance The Tom Thumb pub on Duddeston Manor Rd. See the Gosta Green thread I've enlarged it and put a copy on there.

Phil

oops..my mistake phil...the caption does say gt francis st...its me who has got it wrong by saying gt lister st....

think i will go for a lie down now...lol...

thanks for pointing it out...

lyn:)

phil i did a search for you in the archives yesterday...no pic of the tom thumb pub as yet:(....will keep looking....by the way was it an atkinsons pub ???

Last edited:
jean...theres nothing wrong with you memory...its down to my lack of observation...:rolleyes:

Lyn

If memory serves, it was an Ansells House. I was never a beer drinker so I didn't take much notice.

Phil

Phyl just asked Pete if it was an Ansells house but he can't say for sure but it does not ring any bells with him and he was a drayman after the closure of the brewery. Jean.

ok phil its just that ive come accross a pic of a pub at gt francis st..but its atkinsons and there is no name to it..it may have been posted before but if you like i will put it on the duddeston thread...

Last edited:
Lyn

The Tom Thumb was a new pub (well in the 60's it was) and It was on Duddeston Manor Rd (a new road).

Phil

ok phil..it cant be the pic i have then....tell you what i am beginning to wish i had lived in that area..there were so many pubs its quite confusing....lol

The atkinson pub was the Junction pub,just down from ashted row,the Train was M and B and was where the Rocket is now [i heard Rocket is no more ]

Hi guys
sorry to say that tom had boarded the train and a since left the platform some years ago ;
in fact many years ago now ; the both pubs have gone the train the rocket ;tom thumb ;
have a nice day every body best wishes astonian
ps; also if any body remembers the cromwell he;s gone as well

Hi Chris

I have seen this photo on many occasions knocking around the web, some have even tried to enlarge it but it is too low a resolution to do this successfully. I've tried to find where it originally came from but no one seems to know, because I would have approached the to ask if they had a larger copy. Thanks for the thought anyway.

Phil

Back