• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Swan Yardley

The clubs were firstly the Cavendish sister club to the Dolca Vita Then came Bloomers Followed by Gala bingo. It must be said that Gala operated a small part of the building before taking over the whole lot. It now stands empty awaiting demolition

When you look at the 2 photos of the swan, you cant imagine why it should have been knocked down and replaced by a concrete square. Only for that to be demolished after just 25 years or so to make room for something like the origanal. It beggers belief.

phil.yes it was still call'd the swan shopping center when i left brum.
the reason i asked,is that i thought there was a club in its place. looking down cov rd towards sheldon,on the right was another pub,by clay lane what was that called,any idear?

do you mean the Manor House? I think that has gone too

I posted on page #29 on this thread the name of the next pub on right from the Swan island the next was The Good Companions demolished and the new building has had several names, The Shooting Star with chips cooked in beef dripping, its now an hotel rooms site, can`t remember the name i will after i have posted this!!,

When you look at the 2 photos of the swan, you cant imagine why it should have been knocked down and replaced by a concrete square. Only for that to be demolished after just 25 years or so to make room for something like the origanal. It beggers belief.

I agree Robert, Birmingham has destroyed more of its own past than the German bombers ever did.:cry: This while some German cities have been restored to their original architecture from before the war and each year attract millions of foreign visitors. I was in Brum for the 60's night with my Belgian Reg car but I didn't see one other foreign visitor driving around Brum.

Graham.

The first photo of the Swan is not the one demolished in the 60s ,that was demolished in the 20/30s to make way for a mock Tuduor building. Adjioning was a red brick building This was the New Inns. Both these pubs were knocked down during the Swan redevelopment. A temperaly prefab hut? was built to house the New Inns About 200 yds further down the Coventry rd towards the Airport. A permenant pub has now been built. The next pub down was the Good Compaians, Demolished in the 90s and replaiced with Harry Ramdons fish restaraunt. Now its a Indian come Chinese place not unlike a Jimmy Spice restaraunt. Graham good piont about foriegn crs.

The Trams reach The Swan, March 1904, the pub can be seen in the background. Len.

Attachments

• swan trams.jpg
    swan trams.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 31
Hi Robert, Sorry i have to disagree, The New Inn was not next to The Swan; On the right going towards Sheldon, the first shop was The Co-op, Forests boot & shoe repairs, Sid Fuller barber, Burtons sweet shop, Neils fish & chips and Oakleys/Clarkes grocer on corner of Charles Edward Rd/Coventry Rd, opposite corner, Bulls ironmonger, Yardley Laundry agent, Ellis cooked meat, Prestons florist, Goldsmiths haberdashery, ?? sweet shop next the origional New Inn, then mostly houses until you reached The Good Companions pub. Len.

I must bow to your superior knowledge Len. Wasent there a Co-op at the Good Companians as well. I also remember a Walls factory dont know if it was sausage or ice cream they made there.

Hi robert, No Co-op by The Good Un`s. You are correct, from the corner of Warwell Lane there were some houses and at the end the pavement turned right 30yrds/32mtrs? before turning left in front Wall`s Ice Cream factory, past the factory some big houses most of them are still there and are Bed & Breakfast Hotels, then it was Clay Lane. in front on the waste ground was a large underground air raid shelter, on a Sunday the caretaker of Walls factory would bring out a Stop Me & Buy One Tricycle and sell the ice cream, including the triangular shaped "SNOCREMES & SNOFRUITS" and if you had`nt got a 1d penny coin he would cut one half for 1/2d penny coin. Len.

I thought Preston's flower shop was after the library as you go towards Yardley Cemetery. It was the Good Companions I was thinking of.:rolleyes:

yer well.you have lost me now,all i can remember is the swan,and nothing else untill the pub,then clay lane.prestons flowers was by the library and funeral place.according to map the new inns was by the swan

hi lencops i used the swan a few times.i think most of the punters in there come from the building next door:D 'hat was a undertakers" so i moved down to the yewtree,and then down to the manorhouse ontill the war broke out in there:headhit:.so i
i backtracted to the dolfin.that was ok there.

I didn't go in any of them really, The Swan 2 or 3 times around 1980 so I only remember it from then until about '84.

Len i have been informed that the Co-op had 3 shops at the Good Companians a Butchers, a grocers and an off licence. They had all closed by the early 70s. Micheals supermarkets trade there now.

dwilly there was brick built New Inn it was made to look like it had timber beams on its front like a Tudor house, Butlers of Wolverhampton brewery owned it, demolished for the Coventry Rd reconstruction. Len.

I used to go to the Swan In Yardley in late 60's and was intrested to read about the Swan now all going as I have lived in Cyprus for the last 3 years would probarly find most it Bham all changed now If I retuned for a visit

I was a regular in the swan late 70,s early 80,s. met my wife there at the disco and we celebrate 25yrs marriage next year. we hired a coach once and did a pub crawl going in every pub on both sides of the cov rd from the malt shovel stonebridge island to the clements by the flyover. we set off from the redhill tav towards town. i will try to name every pub bet i miss a few, hay mills tav,old lodge ?,clements,dolphin,greenway,oxford arms,small heath tav,brighton,malt shovel,george & dragon,plough & harrow,wagon & horses,3 horseshoes.arden oak,malt shovel stonebridge,the clock,wheatsheaf,good companions,new inns, swan,bulls head and back to redhill before closing. we had a quick half in each pub raised some money for charity and had a great night.

Hi Hayward

Good reading all the pubs on your pub crawl bet theres not many of them left now:(. I used to go to the Bulls Head on the Cov Rd Hay Mills to the Discos there as well as the Swan. I met my husband there in the late 60's, (divorced now) but have some happy memories from there, The Uglys (went to be The Steve Gibbons Band) :1019:& The Move played there. Oh the good old 60's.. Still used to go & see Steve Gibbons before I moved here got to know him over the years & the music is still good..:cool::1106:

Hi Shirls,

Someone else who went to The Bull and saw The Ugly's there! Mossy is also a fan of Steve Gibbons. And Steve is still gigging. There's something special about Steve, and all the old Brummie musos think so too.

Ann

Back