• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The spotted dog new cannal st

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI GUYS PUB CRAWLERS
I Have been looking for premises to buy for retail and what i have discoverd is the
spotted dog on new cannal street is still standing which in one sense is good news
but it also makes a change hat the pub as not disapeared for good as its got history
far back as i can remember from a little whipper snapper staying at my grand parents
house and coffee shop and transport lodginging that pub as as always been a very thriving pub and its ashame now to see hoe its gone dead around there ther used to be a little garage with the very old petrol pump out side and my grand parents shop the jelfs where i spent my week ends
facing directly oppersite and playing out side there but to my shock and amazement
i got details from the agents its is for sale at the tune of 10, ooo grand plus rates
w hich i thought was cheap as chips for a historic pub such as the spotted dog
so if any body was intrested is it worth the offer still its nice to know its survived the bull dozers hammers best wishes astonian

Hello Alan as a app electrician on 32 and a tanner a week I walked every where one of the places I often worked was Smithfield Garage I often walked down New Canal St from Vauxhall I remember that little Garage on the corner of Bordesley St and the pub. Would the transport place you mention be just down the road on the right towards Typhoo it had a Cafe on the front not far from the Skin and Hide place (I used to hold my nose and walk as quick as I could past there) a little further down was the Dolpin Cafe and Ash and Lacy,s on the right.Dek

hi dek
yes that was very correct it did pon abit as you walk pass thats where i mentioned where they done the excututeing of the cattle 7 days aweek
i do not supose you remember the old fire stand out side the cafe where you smash the glass and a little hammer contained inside the glass but yes tht coffee shop
what you referred to was my grand parents property it was a large shop and dwelling and rear garden into the hide and skin and into typhoos yard behind there gates
the house contained about eight bedrooms and they was full every night of the week by lorry drivers whom came with cattle or typhoo the transport coffee shop was ran by a lady but when my folks was there during the thirtys and forties and fifties she hardley done any trade as the lady on the corner of fazely street was the same eventualy she closed down or died
at this moment in time i just canno recall and the pub on the corner of new cannal st and fazely street closed down i tink it was the ship or some tink i did put a peice about this pub some years ago when the houghtons ran the forum
dek where did you did your apprenticeship my oldest brother done his apprenticeship at the meb chester st aston cross as it was in those days
he was one of the apprentices hat help to put up the villa lights at the ground in the fifties the first set of flood lights they did make the first page of the birminham as it was called then
my grand parents the jelfs was house number 1 new cannal st digbeh
dek many thanks for replying to my thread best wishes astonian alan

Astonian:

My late wife's late uncle worked for the M.E.B. and was in charge of the Villa lights for years. His name was Eric Percy FARMER and he used to live in a little row of houses called Fincheley Avenue, off Finch Road. Shortish jolly guy - does this ring a bell at all.

Maurice :cool:

Remember going into the spotted dog around the early 80's the woman behind the bar had a chamelion on her shoulder!

HI Maurice
how are you keping fine i hope yes it does ring bells about farmer i can recall the name alright and my brother worked with him as well
he used to come to our house from time to time and pick our kid up for work my brother the oldest one served is apprentice there at the meb
i must try and dig the pic out of them from a mail cutting from way back then they made a big photograph of them all standing at the botom of the pylons of the lights turned on
and they was on he fromt page take care speak soon alan astonian

hi there ell
they was fantastic pictures many thanks for taking them and down loading and shareing them on the forum
i will do excatlly the same and down load them if you do not mind blimmey they are a big transformation from when i last seen them
in person many moons back it was a dirty looking pub and the paint work must have not been touch in many years i still inmagine there would not be much trade now around there
with bussiness not being there now like it used to be when the big factory across the rd i beleive its a warehouse called latifes
many thanks again elli best wishes astonian

Last edited by a moderator:
Walked down Meriden Street today, and found that it is now an "underground gig pub" called Suki 10c.

Not sure if you guys would like the graffiti house look it has. Similar to the one on Fazeley Street

Hi Ellbrown and good post showing there,s life in the old (Spotted) dog still,

The pub has a long and chequered history so this new and welcome new habitat just adds vibrancy of modern format

The "Graffitti" is very well done with superb artistic talent, no bad tagging eh!

I hear (from younger family members) that the Music, Comedy is great and the people have a good time,,

Keep this old-new pub going,,,Nice one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,john Y

At least it's got a use, for young drinkers / clubbers. If in an odd location (no where near Broad Street)

It looks nice, brings it back into use for once.

Very different, but I think some of these "graffiti" artists have real talent, just not always in the right places!
Nice to see that the old pub is still going though and not met the demolition men as many others have.
My great grandparents lived not far away from there in Oxford Street, opposite the Typhoo factory.
Sue

HI SUE ;
Its a small world you know your grt grand parents would have known my grand parents and mother as she lived oppersite the dog
and the little gaage what was there many moons ago ; i have to say ;
it was a little hut ans a little van with a forecourt no bigger thantwenty foot square sold petrol for bout threepennies old 3d
with two tiny petrol tanks and beleive me they was tiny ; and the owner had a little brookbond van ;always parked on his patch
i beleive the corner of bordesly stret and new cannal street opersite the dog is still standingdelict they have not built on there
the whole of that car park was the excact space inwhich my mother and her parents ran the transport cafe ;
the size of that property standing empty was there house and the cafe left side and the toight side it was a huge propery
every body knew them and the higgins and there was another of the family of my grand parents was born around he coener in those little houses ;
have a good dy best wishes astonian;

Afternoon all... The new landlord of what used to be the Spotted Dog has put a lot of effort into the building, turning a derelict ruin into a vibrant community venue for everything from heavy-duty dance music to stand-up comedy - and all sorts in-between. I managed to get a look inside just before the work started and it was in a terrible state: Rain pouring through holes in the ceiling where inept burglars had ripped out lead flashing... holes in the floorboards... plaster crumbling from the walls... 3 feet of water in the cellar... It was such a shame to see an venerable old boozer in such a state.

Whether you love or loathe the "new look" of Suki10c, it cannot be denied the current incarnation has saved an historic Digbeth landmark from utter ruin.

Putting my cards on the table, I'm now a bit of an irregular regular at Suki10c, and the artwork that adorns the outside walls has been created by some of the most highly respected graffiti artists in the UK. I hope it continues to thrive and bring a little bit of life back to the area.

Hi there, spent a "few" dinner times and nights in the old Spotted Dog in the early eighties after I finished my days work at Pepper and Hope which was about 100yards down the road (it's now Latifs car park). Always a good pint and plenty of laughs. Unfortunatly it went the way of a lot of "off the beaten track" boozers after the local industry moved out. Good luck to the people that have taken it on, let's hope they succeed, it will be one old pub saved.
jimbo

thanks for those pics el....i like it...its a pub re opened and a building saved. i wish the new owners well....not been for a walk down digbeth way for a while but when i do i shall make a point of putting me head round the door...

lyn

No problem.

Not sure what times it opens. Could be in the evenings.

I went past it on Sunday morning (after having a look at Eastside City Park).

Bit of a coincidence, as I walked past the other graffiti house on Fazeley Street

This pic of mine is from 2 years ago, but I believe that the art is unchanged, even though it says 2012 on it

Back