• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Scharnhorst

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
I have just spent a few hours scanning another 40 photo's to put on including a buriel at sea of one of the sailors a POW, some photos I had decided not to show and I have cropped a few
The photos showing the Scharnhorst smashing her way through the ice I believe is the Kiel Canal so if anyone can identify a landmark that would be great.
The name of the Operation during the sinking of the 22 ships in total was code named "Berlin"
Once these are posted it will be locked and another thread started about the Start of World War Two
7 days in Sept.1939 Westerplatte
Told in the same way with another German photo album and I know a lot about this subject as it is so intresting   
Showing the shot that started WW2 by the Schleswig-Holstien telling the story of the gallant stand of Major Sucharski in words and photo's

Fantastic pictures, cromwell, with a fantastic story behind them. O0 You're knowledge and archives are absolutely incredible. You must have enough historical information to fill a decent sized library.

Could I ask one small favour that the pictures are resized to fit on the page? It does seem a shame that the images cannot at present be seen in their entirety without a lot of sideways scrolling. If you need a hand resizing, I'm sure one or other of would be only too pleased to help out. It would be an honour to be involved in such a great project, if only in a small way.

Oslin
Rod has plans for the article so I think he is going to shift it all about to make the site better in the History section thats why we dont want posting in the Scharnhorst section as they will have to be deleted so we created a section for replies and such forth, its done for no other reason, just to save hard work and the thread being changed
I think when the lot is loaded you can work with Rod etc to get it all right for the site then it will be locked, thanks for your offer makes it all worthwhile
Thanks Again Oslin

Oisin thanks for the offer and I will get back to you...........  I should have explained.....

If the pictures are made smaller now then when the web software gets hold off them they may become a bit distorted, so If I start off with somat big it will retain its integrety better after compression. 

Re: The Scharnhorst

ALL THE SHIP PREVIOUSLY SHOWN BEING SUNK WERE SUNK BY THE SCHARNHORST
Between them Scharnhorst and Gneisenau sank 22 ships
Kanta and Chilean Reefer were also sank by the Scharnhorst but as the following photoghraphs of ships being sunk had no writing on the backs only the very skilled could say which is which As the two ships worked as a team the Gneisenau sank the following
A.D.Huff,
Harlesdon ,
Simmia,
Rio Dorado,
Empire Industry,
Granli,
Myson,
Royal Crown.
So the following set of Photographs could show any of the above ships

Back