• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The sandpits area

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...im sure that sometime last year some members were looking for pics of the sandpits area..ive used the search engine and can find no reference to it...anyhow i am just sorting out some pics to bring to the stag meet up and have come across one...if anyone would like to see it just say and i will scan and post it...it show as shop on the corner called lillingtons...

lyn

Albert Lillington, general dealer, 113 Sandpits, there 1932 but not 1921. Lynn, of course we would like to see it , you shouldn't need to ask !!
Mike

ok mike...its just that i wasnt sure if i had posted it before....will go and scan it then....

lyn

Lovely old photo Lyn Don,t know where you get em from can you tell me the name of the street in the background this would help me with its location in the Sandpits. Dek

thank dek think i cut it out from a brummagem mag.....hopefully mike can answer that question..hes good at that....hi alf i thought i may have posted this one before but like you i couldnt find it either...

lyn

Lovely old photo Lyn Don,t know where you get em from can you tell me the name of the street in the background this would help me with its location in the Sandpits. Dek

Stands a chance of being Summerhill Street...

So would put the location of the photograph between Nelson Street and the junction of Anderton Street & Summerhill Street, I stand to be corrected though...

Edited, Summerhill Street was renamed King Edwards Road after redevelopment, apologies.

Hi lynn you haven't got any of Powell St by any chance my aunt lived there it was near the Sandpits

Smashing photo Lyn that bus stop is where i used to get of the bus from town,and the road that somebody asked about was. i think Anderton St the reason is because it led onto Anderton St

When you turned left into the street just up was the Bell pub

Mossy

thanks mossy...glad it brings back memories for you..elizabeth without looking i know i havnt got powell st but will have a search for you...

lyn

Lillingtons , at the time were on the end of sandpits, so the street behind would be the junction of Summer Hill St an Summer Hill Road . The picture must have been taken between 1938 (or perhaps 1937 and 1949. The 1937 Kellys shows Lillingtons as being just nos 112, 113. with standard sheet metal and pyramid metal Co (as on upper wall in photo) at nos 110. In 1938 Lillingtons were 110-114, but the two metal companies were still listed as 110. By 1939 the two metal companies were lot listed, but their names could still have been on the wall. By 1949 Lillingtons aere still 110-114, but also at 110 was the Stanley Light company, metal spinners. If they were there I am sure they would have painted ovwe the old sign. If i had to make a closer guess I'd guess 1937-1938 as there appears to be a sign on the buildings on the left , which may say "We have moved" (not quite clear), directing people to the right. This building on the left is presumably 112-113,, the old entrance of the firm, at the time of the photo probably just a storage area.

Mike have you got a map of the area i still think it is Anderton St i walked up a thousand times

Mossy

Mossy
Just seen your previous post and was checking it out. We are both right really . I attach a map showing in red Lillingtons. The building in the background must be Nico Light Co. Ltd. incandescent burner mfrs. Roscar works, Summer Hill rd., so technically the building behind is Summer Hill Road, but to the left (from our point of view) of that building is Anderton St, and , if the building in the picture is the one in the map, then the building curves round into anderton St.,

here you go mike...not sure of the date..maybe 50s early 60s...

lyn
I lived in a bedsit in a three storey house in Summerhill Terrace. Sandpits circa 1953 - 56 when i left, Lillingtons who were also furniture movers moved a bedroom suite to the house i was buying in Sheldon and charged a very cheap price, they were a old established firm and probably started with basket carriages and then a horse & cart before progressing to a furniture van, in the photo it looks like i remember it, there were shops all down the road, Pooltons? was a large greengrocers and there was a big ironmongers also i remember a butchers named Lucks. Len.

Lyn
Just had to alter my dating. In 1950 there is at 111: Edwards E. outfitter with Lillingtons at 110, 112,113,114. Edwards aren't there 1949 and ahve gone by 1955.
mike

Thanks Mike i was almost sure it was Anderton St we left Ladywood in 1963

And a story about that bus stop in the picture our dad use to take us me and my two brothers to the Tattler in town and on the way back our dad fell asleep on the tram and we was going past that bus stop so one of my brothers started pulling the chain thing for a bell but it did not stop and we got off by the Sping Hill library.....this was on a Sunday

Mossy

no luck so far elizabeth..i very rarey forget a street i am looking for so the search continues and there may also be other members who may have pics of powell street.....they are out there somewhere...

lyn

Not used to uploadng pictures etc .The nelson pub on the corner .Then a newsagents .Then 145 the sanpits where i lived with my nan and grandad till i moving to new john st west next to the whitehouse.I know it was a chip shop before the war etc .All the fryers and counters were still there .Used to have great fun pretending to serve chips etc with my brother and sister .Seems strange in the photo there seems to be second hand stuff etc for sale

Hi len
was your house next to the old london and midlands window cleaning compay
at the end of the block of houses directly behind the public toilets thats where there yard was
and office and i certainly remember the shops facing the old sand pits
we used to play on them old sand pitts when we came out of the 3d crush mattnee on saturday
mornings there was some house just past the old home for the old folks
the superintentant was charge for murder of a couple of guys in the seventes
one was opld mr hands whom lived in spring field street lady wood he was a pigeon fancier
with racig pigeons along with the jukes family also of spring field st and od man bonner holland
whom was the top dog of the ocal pigeon club which was at the bell pub on the corner of stour st
and the coledge arms he worked at lucas,s he had a big accident at work claimed the damages
and bought the cross keys pub in steward st spring hil for his daughter cathie . and ron
whom was a care taker of a block of flats down next to the aston salford resser
then they moved on i think it was the sunday mercury in the eighties there was a picture of the post offie
of the post offce in powell st
blimey ; they was the good old days i reckon, from child to man.
have a nice day every body best wishes Astonian ;;;

Hi len
was your house next to the old london and midlands window cleaning compay
at the end of the block of houses directly behind the public toilets thats where there yard was
and office and i certainly remember the shops facing the old sand pits
we used to play on them old sand pitts when we came out of the 3d crush mattnee on saturday
mornings there was some house just past the old home for the old folks
the superintentant was charge for murder of a couple of guys in the seventes
one was opld mr hands whom lived in spring field street lady wood he was a pigeon fancier
with racig pigeons along with the jukes family also of spring field st and od man bonner holland
whom was the top dog of the ocal pigeon club which was at the bell pub on the corner of stour st
and the coledge arms he worked at lucas,s he had a big accident at work claimed the damages
and bought the cross keys pub in steward st spring hil for his daughter cathie . and ron
whom was a care taker of a block of flats down next to the aston salford resser
then they moved on i think it was the sunday mercury in the eighties there was a picture of the post offie
of the post offce in powell st
blimey ; they was the good old days i reckon, from child to man.
have a nice day every body best wishes Astonian ;;;
Hi Astonian you remember Powell St then my aunt lived there well aunts actually 50s/60s,i think there was a pub on the corner
called the Stores do you know where i might find photos

hi
Top of the morning to you hope you hav a nice day ven thou its damp and threating snow
yes i do no powell street i lived across the rd in kingedwards rd and i also used to use all
the pubs in and around the area from the city centre right up to the red cow at smethwick
there was four of us lads david adams, graham frisby , sam mc reavvy from aston and my cousin
whom is a city birmingham market trader tony jones for many years whom is now retired from the markets
his sons now do it they live in hurlingam rd king standing. and to add to the list our old freind mossy
along with another friend whom lived in shakespear rd and was a close friend to our old freind
mossy ,whom also was close to and always together was a guy we all called in that period
and rather not use his name only his nick name was midnight and mossy would know whom i mean
any way getting back on track to the question do i have a pic ; ?.
unfortunately i personally do not have one i think my brother whom lives in kings heath may have one
i will asked him he new the gather personally more than me
if my memory serves me right the gather of that pub was in the evening mail and that it ws because he also took over the free house which was just afew yards from the pub facing the roller rink
and with in months was leaving after years there to take on the station pub at the bottom of hill street
by te albany hotel but liz i will check with my brother later
best wishes Astonian ;;;;;

Thank you i remember the yard my aunties lived in very well, and the houses were really small, i think they worked in a factory in Camden St, i had a few relatives in that area 50s/60s liz

hello could anyone help i want to know what was on the site of where the wholesale warehouse is now on the corner of nelson street opposite the greek orthodox church, i know the warehouse has been ther for at least 25+years, my other half works in the warehouse and he would like to know aswell. i would be really grateful of any info

from kelly

hello could anyone help i want to know what was on the site of where the wholesale warehouse is now on the corner of nelson street opposite the greek orthodox church, i know the warehouse has been ther for at least 25+years, my other half works in the warehouse and he would like to know aswell. i would be really grateful of any info

from kelly

Hello Kelly have a look at post#4 on page one of this thread that photo is almost on the right spot. Dek

thanks dek i even looked at that picture before i put the post on, Britannic warehouse has been on that site since about 1975.
thank you for telling me
from kelly

Back