• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Royal George Digbeth and Saint Paul's Tavern

Paul L

Brummie babby
My Dad ran both the above pubs in the 1950's, we moved to Walsall when the George was pulled down and a newer version (The George) was built, if anyone has any photos of either pub I would love to see them.
Paul

Was that the St Pauls tavern in ludgate hill or ST Pauls Square?
Here is the old Royal George

OLDROYALGEORGE 1957.jpg
And here is what looks like a somewhat older view
The+Royal+George.jpg

Oh Wow, thank you so much for this, that first floor window (where the M&B sign is) was mine and my brothers bedroom the third floor was basically the attic and was almost derelict. It was a fantastic place to grow up in, I was 3 when we moved in from the St Paul's Tavern (Yes ludgate Hill) and 9 when we left, I walked to school at Rae Street. If I remember right it was originally a Theatre and the carved statues on the walls we ar sign of this.
The St Paul's Tavern was Dads first pub, just one bar room if I remember.

Ah Thanks again Mike. we were there from 1952 to 1955 and the George from 1956 to 1961

Last edited:
Back