• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Railways

Experimental Sulzer diesel No D 0260, Lion, built by the at Solihull in 1962.

Railway history in pictures: The Midlands by Casserley, H. C (1969)

View attachment 176080
I presume your caption should read "Experimental Sulzer diesel No D 0260, Lion, built at BRCW's Smethwick works, pictured at Solihull in 1962."

Full details of Lion's final withdrawal have never been fully made public, and even the BRC&W workforce were not informed of its fate. But at some time after withdrawal, Lion was moved to AEI's works at Attercliffe where AEI became responsible for stripping the locomotive, primarily to recover their electrical components. During this process Sulzer recovered their 12LDA28C power unit and radiators (the engine was sent to be reconditioned at Vickers in Barrow-in-Furness, and was subsequently installed into an unknown production Class 47). What remained, principally the body shell and bogies, were scrapped at the Attercliffe yard of scrap merchant Thos. W. Ward.

d64497ea1ffd7d97b6e0af7ad61dd890.jpg
37002 waits at New Street with an eastbound parcels train in the summer of 1982. It is probably the 3E16 18.50 Birmingham Curzon Street PCD to Peterborough
Photo by
SilsonRoadrunner

I was given this BR booklet at the recent Sutton model railway show:-
1683198113975.png

It basically shows which Diesel Multiple Units (DMU's) were allocated to which routes. This was at a time when Dr Beeching was just getting the old axe sharpened, so many of the stations and routes in here no longer exist. For example page 24 covers trains allocated to the Severn Valley line before it was privatised:-
1683198271240.png

Page 25 covers parcels units on the northern lines out of Snow Hill To West Bromwich, Wolverhampton, Dudley etc:-
1683198348817.png

Many "lost routes" on page 18, including from Moor St to Evesham (presumably via Stratford Upon Avon):-
1683198526146.png

And on page 19 many trains to and from Dudley and the old "Bumble Hole" line:-
1683198665196.png

This was at a time when electrification work was being performed on the main lines in and out of New St, so many trains were diverted to Snow Hill at the weekends. Look where you could get to from Snow Hill on a Sunday in 1962-3:-
1683198763507.png

If anyone wants to see more details let me know and I'll scan the booklet in properly.

I was also given this document - back in the days when fog, snow and bad weather caused trains to be delayed - no chance of that happening today of course.......
1683198882618.png

Last edited:
I was given this BR booklet at the recent Sutton model railway show:-
View attachment 180064

It basically shows which Diesel Multiple Units (DMU's) were allocated to which routes. This was at a time when Dr Beeching was just getting the old axe sharpened, so many of the stations and routes in here no longer exist. For example page 24 covers trains allocated to the Severn Valley line before it was privatised:-
View attachment 180065

Page 25 covers parcels units on the northern lines out of Snow Hill To West Bromwich, Wolverhampton, Dudley etc:-
View attachment 180066

Many "lost routes" on page 18, including from Moor St to Evesham (presumably via Stratford Upon Avon):-
View attachment 180067

And on page 19 many trains to and from Dudley and the old "Bumble Hole" line:-
View attachment 180068

This was at a time when electrification work was being performed on the main lines in and out of New St, so many trains were diverted to Snow Hill at the weekends. Look where you could get to from Snow Hill on a Sunday in 1962-3:-
View attachment 180069

If anyone wants to see more details let me know and I'll scan the booklet in properly.

I was also given this document - back in the days when fog, snow and bad weather caused trains to be delayed - no chance of that happening today of course.......
View attachment 180070
Yes please Mark. Would it be easier if you scanned and emailed it to me?

These circulars are often very useful in providing information about services. This circular shows services that would soon be cancelled.
The Wolverhampton to Dudley and Stourbridge passenger service was closed to passengers from July 30th, 1962
Shrewsbury to Bewdley was closed from September 9th, 1963
Wellington to Nantwich was closed from September 9th, 1963
Snow Hill Dudley via Swan Village was closed to passengers from May 4th, 1964

Chalford on the line from Gloucester to Swindon was closed in 1964 and Cheltenham (St James) was closed in 1966. Netherton to Old Hill closed in 1964
The Evesham train would have gone through Long Marston (closed 1966)

What a lovely picture, share it so it can be enjoyed by all I say. That’s why I leave many hundreds of my pictures of England’s green and pleasant land.

IMG_1341.jpeg

“Although Four Oaks station lies on the cross-city route from Redditch to Lichfield via New Street. a number of the services in fact terminate there resulting in the sidings being used as a stablng point for a number of DMU’s. Awaiting their next scheduled duty on 1 March 1984 are two BR Derby-built Class 116 units with the motor brake second cars NOs M53852 and M 53062 Facing the camera. (Brian Morrison)”

British railways : steam and traction in colour by Boocock, Colin (1991)

can someone tell me where I would have caught, the Sutton Coldfield, train from to get to the park!! I seem to think it was New Street , but unsure many thanks!!

IMG_0895.jpeg

“An IC125 set coasts down through Five Ways station towards New Street with the 07.55 Plymouth-Leeds on 29 May 1982. Five Ways was closed for 60 years before being reopened to passengers in 1978.”

West Midlands rails in the 1980s by Glover, John. Publication date 1984

IMG_0891.jpeg

“Class 86/2 No 86.227 Sir Henry Johnson passes Soho with an up express on the summer Saturday of 5 June 1982. The area is a crossroads for canals as well as railways; this is the Birmingham Canal.”

West Midlands rails in the 1980s by Glover, John. Publication date 1984.

IMG_0770.jpeg

“A Gloucester Carriage & Wagon built Class 122 bubble car (W55000 series) forms the 16.47 service from Langley Green to Birmingham Snow Hill on 5th August 1967. The train is crossing the bridge over Telford's canal, where the Jewellery Line platforms of Galton Bridge station were to open in 1995.”
(Michael Mensing)

A century of railways around Birmingham and the West Midlands.

IMG_0723.jpeg

“Wood End, formerly Wood End Platform, with a southbound train on 25th March 1965. The spoil from this cutting was taken through the tunnel to form the embankment on the other side.”

A Century of Raiways around Birmingham.

the Les Ross Virgin - 86259's final livery in commercial service.
1689750022316.png1689750076460.png
on a turntable! - at Tyseley on December 18th 2006. Photographed a few seconds after emerging into the daylight for the first time after restoration, 86259 (still with no number identity) is back in electric blue.

Back