• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Paddock, Newtown

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
There was an article in The Mail recently about a pub called The Paddock in Newtown Row. There were two pubs in the Newtown shopping centre quite close to Newtown swimming baths. Am I correct in thinking that one of these was the Paddock? Also, what was the name of the other pub? I remember they were unusual in that they backed on to each other.

In the Birmingham Mail, last night, Monday, 2nd July, is a photo of the ex landlady Doreen Gibbons as she is now, and inset of her husband Michael (deceased) as he was in the 1960s who used to run The Paddock. The story runs that Ozzie Osborne was a regular before he was famous and had 2 pints "on the knock" and has never got round to repaying the 3 shillings and sixpence he owes her. 17.1/2 pence in today's currency.

The Griffin!!!
I read that story about Ozzy and wondered if it was The Paddock that I remember.
There was also a Davenport's pub nearby, anyone remember the name of that?

The Paddock was the pub closest to the swimming baths, and the Griffin was at the other end of the same block....they did not back on the each other.......

post #4 davernports pub was the cross guns i think, it was tucked away on the new estate where alma street was?., kind reguards sidwho

Sorry Patty I don't know, was it in the precinct or on Summer Lane, I know one of the customers kept The Lamplighter on Summer Lane. (Ray didn't tell me about these after work drinks).

Back