• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the old college...spring hill

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
the old cottage..spring hill...date poss 60s

Attachments

• Ladywood The Old College Spring Hill.jpg
    Ladywood The Old College Spring Hill.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 19
Re: the old cottage...spring hill

Hi Astoness
the old cotage was mid - late 50;s had a make over in the 61-2 if i remember correctly
give and take a year . later changed named and repainted and smartened up interior a well
renamed the colledge arms on the corner of colledge rd springhill
four doors from the pub was old fred wakelin and his brother inlaw,s shop
fred was the general manager for harry and maureece cresswells [ founder ] of bristol street motors
on bristol street whom ran the victoria depot at winson green and his brother was the car sprayer for bristol street motors the two brothers ran a successful bussiness before fords notice them and bought them out
harrys daughter worked for the royal fmily [ fergie ] as a personal adviser
has you may have heard a couple of years ago in he news
when i was a kid i worked for fred and i asked him for a pay rise the older blokes thought i was off my rocker
bolding into to freds office in front of harry and asking for a pay rise ,
i told himand asked for a raise in my money or i will join the army ,they both looked at each oher and smiled at me and said son okay ; we will give you a threepany peice rise from this week
i walked out of there office on to he shop floor and they all stared at me and said what did hey say .
i smiled and said yes ; i got a rise they started to laugh and could not beleive it
a couple of months later i went back and asked for a refernce to enlist , and fred gave me a good reference
and off i went
but pub was known later as the colledge arms
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;;

Billy Millington was the gaffer there in the 60s

Mau-reece

hi there maggs
its been along time since i have heard from you how are you and the other half keeping ;?
yes i remember it well when they started to strip it out and refurb and paint it
by the way ; i know you dop not line dance but i was down next door last week at the kings heath cricket club
and i heard the calidoin as started line dancing nites they must be feeling the pinch again i would say
like they did afew years ago may be the old committee is up to here tricks again ;
what do you reckon ?.
have you thought of going back in the trade yet, theres plenty in worc; going
i have got a womanhounding me to take over one of her pubs constanly phoneing ;
dropping me a line , but i ain,t intrested know more the old dutchess wants me to
but i said go on your own,
but any way are you going to the meet up at the eagle ?.
as i am under the weather i shall have to miss this one yet again , but lets hope
third time lucky on the next one,
well maggs it nice to hear from you take care of your self and give my regards to the other half
best wishes Astonian;;

oops sorrry folks...should have put me glasses on...misread the name of the pub which of course should be the old college (not as i put the old cottage):headhit::headhit:for me i think...

lyn

Last edited:

hi lynn
try and cut down on the gin and you should go to spec -- savers
we forgive you ;;
best wishes astonian ;;

:D:D alan..im so glad you forgive me...trouble is dont know how to change to title to say the old college...spring hill...:cry:
Corrected
lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
As Alan said take more water with it. Ive changed it for you.

I remember the College pub well, it was on the corner of College St. My dad worked for Bill Millington as a barman. I am still in touch with Gill Millington, who I went to school with.

hi maggs
i should have group photo of them some where
when we all went to dublin afew years back i will try and dig it out
and you should see them on it
astonian ;;

oops sorrry folks...should have put me glasses on...misread the name of the pub which of course should be the old college (not as i put the old cottage):headhit::headhit:for me i think...

lyn
Does anyone remember William and Emmie Ellis landlords in the early 1930S?

hi and welcome.. the early 30s was at best about 90 years ago so i think you will be pushed to find some who would have to be about 120 years old to remember the ellis family when they were landlords of the pub but you never know there maybe living rellies looking in

lyn

Back