• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the holt

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
does any-body recall the dwyer family running the pub the holt
next to the villa ground and across from aston parish church during the fifties 57-9 they had a son called peter .
best wishes astonian ;;

Astonian will ask Pete's older brother when he gets back off his hollidays as that would be the time he would have used the pub. Around 1966 the family who kept it also had a son and the biggest dog I have ever seen. Pete said his name wasn't Peter but can't remember it. Maybe Patty would know as her dad ran the boxing club there about that time?. Jean.

hi jean
peter was the son not the gather and he had blond hair his son was about 14 at the time i beleive they had a big dog if my memory serves me right the year was around the 1957 -9 between those years i do know it was definatly dwyer the gathers surname best wishes astonian ;;

Will phone Patty in the morning as I think the family with the big [enormous] dog were related to the Reads or Dares and Patty is still in touch with one of them. Jean.

hi lloyed
yes you are correct that me and uneducated brummie lazy speech .grammer .
and english astonian brummie through and through
have a nice day lloyed and keep up the good hard work ,and have a nice day
best wishes astonian ;;;;;;;

Astonian just phoned my brother in law and he said the name rings a bell and he is going to put his thinking cap on today. He is a few years older than Pete so it should be around his time. Jean.

Does anyone remember the aligator club upstairs at the Holte? well this is a sign from one of the alcoves. It is now down our caravan and has weathered the time. I's called Atalaya and must be 43 years old. Jean.

Went for a meal at The Holte on Saturday night at 8pm. The pub and meal were both lovely,just a shame we were the only ones there.......

Jayne we must make an effort to go but It still brings a lump to my throat as my mom lived in Holte road till she passed away a few years ago. May arrange to get together with Patty and Tony and Pete's brothers. Have lovely memories of the old pub. Jean.

I think the dog was an irish wolf hound, but I stand to be corrected. Also I remember going 10 pin bowling at the back of the Holte about that time Eric

Hi Ric our little crowd went to the bowling alley too and there is a thread somewhere just on that subject. That dog was in the evening mail once but he was a whopper wasn't he. Jean.

I am trying to place the Bowling Alley, I think between the Holt and Villa Park opposite the Park, used to take my daughter. Eric

Eric there was the Holte then a function room and after that the bowling alley. Fairlaines. I will look for the thread and let you know where to look. Bye. Jean.

Eric just type in Fairlanes Bowling Alley in search at the top of the page. Jean.

Last edited:
here a picture of the Holte

Attachments

• Aston Trinity Rd - Witton Lane The Holte.jpg
    Aston Trinity Rd - Witton Lane The Holte.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2
i was a paper boy at the paper shop oppisite the holte in 1963 the cafe next door and the sons name was pete they had a large dog and the cat was large to

hi jean
i did tell you from day one the gaffers son was peter
i knew him way back in the fiftys personaly
and he had the big irish wolf hound
and peter was a very talented .and fast on his feet
when playing foot ball
i played agaist him many times
best wishes astonian ;;

Alan you are correct and the dog was massive. I was also thinking about the paper shop opposite as worked there about 1963. The son from the Holte gave us a lift back to Kidderminster one night and was speeding up Mucklows hill rather drunk and was pulled by the police. Guess what he got away with it as the Holte was an after hours pub for the local cops. Jean.i

oh yes jean ;
there ain,t nothink you can tell me on that score
i knew alot about them but i will not say no more on that ;
give my regards to pete ;
best wishes astonian ;;;

The Holt taken today:)

Attachments

• the holte.JPG
    the holte.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 2
Hi, anyone have any pictures or vids from The Florida Room which was at the back of the Holte, used to go there around 1985 91

I used to go to discos upstairs [?] in the Holte, mid to late 70's.
they even had a proper cloakroom [with tickets I think] to hand your coats in

Maralyn Pete and his brother Brian started that club and named it the aligater bar. They had baby aligaters in a tank too. Were there alcoves when you went only each one had a name and I had the one called Atalaya when it closed down and still have it down the caravan. I have a photo somewhere. Jean.

I can't remember the alcoves
it seemed a big place
there were DJ's
I think I went to a new year's eve party/disco there once
would have been about 76/77 I think

then about twice more with my cousin who lived in Witton
we used to drink in the little snug bar/lounge there at other times
I just remember it had a great jukebox

Back