• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Era Bordesley Green

Here's a photo to go with your programme Poste. Is it a snooker hall now?

Phil

No Phil, it was demolished and a petrol station was built on the site. :(

Postie. If only they showed some of them films today on TV, Having said that I did see " Oh Mr Porter " the other week on TV.
Phil. One of the Cinemas I went to many years ago, A great Photograph.

I saw Randoph Scott in 'The last Of The Mohicans' at The Era. I think the last film I saw there was 'They Died With Their Boots On' with Errol Flynn as Custer.

No Phil, it was demolished and a petrol station was built on the site. :(

Postie

Where am I thinking about in Bordesley Green that is a snooker hall with a frontage just like that photo. Admittedly the corner entrance (I think as I remember is) different.

Phil

Icarus

The Elite was on the corner of Green Lane & Coventry Rd wasn't it? I'm thinking of Bordesley Green Rd, perhaps it was further down towards Garrison Lane, or perhaps I'm just going potty in my dotage.

Phil

Icarus

I told you I was going potty in my dotage, The Elite was on the corner of Crown Road and the snooker hall was next to that. I knew I had seen one down that way. I'll get off postie's thread about The Era now (sorry)

Phil

How great to see a photo of the Era, one of my regular picture houses although we hated it because it was the only one in the whole area that we couldn't sneak into!
Only one way in and one way out, both guarded by Nazi Stormtroopers. Phil and Jim, is it ok to put the pics on my website with the other picture houses?

The last days of The Sheldon cinema, and new days at The Palace cinema still showing films??. Len.

Hi nick, another great pic of old Bordesley Green. Hope you don't mind I've done a bit of repair work on it.

A couple of good pics there! I took quite a few pics around Bordesley Green in the late 70's-early 80's and I've been searching for them for months! One was a shot of the snooker hall looking across the wasteland shown in the last pic. Another was of the Marquis of Lorne pub on the corner of Cattell Road and Arsenal Street. The pub was used in a tv series ....name escapes me.... with Michael Elphick (?).

The ex snooker hall is on Bordesley Green Rd just down from where Cattel Rd joins BG Rd. Len.

Icarus, Michael Elphick was "Boon" private eye on a motorcycle, they are still shown on Gold saw one few weeks ago. Len.

Thanks, Lencops, that's the series. Never actually saw it myself.

BTW... the snooker Hall was on The Green. Bordesley Green Road runs off it from the lights down to Saltley.

The connection between Boon and the Marquis of Lorne is interesting.
I remember one of the early episodes of Boon where he , aka a stuntman, had to climb to the top of one of the gas holder towers at, I think,Saltleybut I don't remember the pub being involved. my eldest brother John worked as a barman at the Marquis in the 60s.
For those who don't know, it was renamed The Roost a few years back and after shutting for a while it was done up and reopened earlier this year and seems to be doing well.

thanks to you all i worked at the old era when it was converted to a garage called whitacre garage in the 60s i all ways wonderd what it used to look like as it was strip't bare the old heating was still in use .
it was on the corner of churchill road

Indeed The Palace Cinema is still showing films, in fact the new season for the little film club is about to commence in a weeks time.
Kind Regards Chris B.

( Interesting to know who owns the dvd that the cover in the pic is from just out of interest)

Saturday morning At the Era every week. My Mother knew an usherette and she would lift me into the balcony from the stalls.
A friend of mine broke into the Era to rob the safe, but the twit left his coat there with his name inside.
The manager was very posh and walked home up Blake Lane.

A couple of good pics there! I took quite a few pics around Bordesley Green in the late 70's-early 80's and I've been searching for them for months! One was a shot of the snooker hall looking across the wasteland shown in the last pic. Another was of the Marquis of Lorne pub on the corner of Cattell Road and Arsenal Street. The pub was used in a tv series ....name escapes me.... with Michael Elphick (?).

The Marquis was used in a TV series called Angels, about trainee nurses I think. Never saw it myself.

Another earlier photo of The Era Cinema that I came across recently.

Phil

BordesleyGreenTheEraCinema.jpg

Back