• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Crooked House at Himley

Status
Not open for further replies.
For once, I believe this may have been a genuine case of some local louts playing around , rather than dubious developers. In the many other similar cases (not just locally to the Birmingham area) there has definitely been an advantage to these creatures in destroying a building and building some monstrosity, but cannot see that in this case.

I understand that this is a listed building.

Does that mean it has to be rebuilt?

A bit more than a whiff of smoke about this, IMO.

Steve.

as NOTSHARP said some papers say The Crooked House is a Grade II listed building and has recently been in headlines over it's closure due to damage from a break-in.

wow not much to save or to rebuild now

There is an article in today's Mail on Sunday about this. It includes the following:

"Locals allege that the sole track leading to the property had been blocked by 'mounds of dirt' when fire engines from six regional departments arrived at the scene last night."

Lee Goodchild (the former publican, since last September) is quoted, "They (Marston's) told me that I was not going to open again, they were not going to repair the damages - pretty much end of. I then moved my stuff out and vacated around three weeks ago. All I know about the new owners is it is an independent person, and they have a local business. It was sold for an 'alternative purpose' - so people can make of that what they wish."

Such a pity, I hope that for once, the cause of fire and those responsible for it (if anyone actually is ;)) will be found, charged and dealt with!

1691332259609.png 1691332291364.png 1691332393378.png

There is an article in today's Mail on Sunday about this. It includes the following:

"Locals allege that the sole track leading to the property had been blocked by 'mounds of dirt' when fire engines from six regional departments arrived at the scene last night."

Lee Goodchild (the former publican, since last September) is quoted, "They (Marston's) told me that I was not going to open again, they were not going to repair the damages - pretty much end of. I then moved my stuff out and vacated around three weeks ago. All I know about the new owners is it is an independent person, and they have a local business. It was sold for an 'alternative purpose' - so people can make of that what they wish."

Such a pity, I hope that for once, the cause of fire and those responsible for it (if anyone actually is ;)) will be found, charged and dealt with!

View attachment 182891 View attachment 182892 View attachment 182893
hear hear.. its a blessing no one injured or killed

For once, I believe this may have been a genuine case of some local louts playing around , rather than dubious developers. In the many other similar cases (not just locally to the Birmingham area) there has definitely been an advantage to these creatures in destroying a building and building some monstrosity, but cannot see that in this case.
i agree with you mike on this one...i just cant see why someone would buy the pub only recently and then engineer a fire...most buildings that mysteriously catch fire have been empty and derelict for many years..the pub is so far off the beaten track.. the only thing i would say its a shame that there was no security guard employed to keep an eye on it...its so sad though and by the looks of it there is no chance of saving it :(

lyn

i agree with you mike on this one...i just cant see why someone would buy the pub only recently and then engineer a fire...most buildings that mysteriously catch fire have been empty and derelict for many years..the pub is so far off the beaten track.. the only thing i would say its a shame that there was no security guard employed to keep an eye on it...its so sad though and by the looks of it there is no chance of saving it :(

lyn
Perhaps because the pub was in the way of what they wanted to do with the land the pub sits upon and the Planning Department wouldn't have looked too kindly on a plan to tear it down, even if it didn't have a listed status, given how well known the pub was? Although I'm not suggesting that the new owners, had anything whatsoever to do with this.

I agree 100%, employing a security guard/company or even perhaps having a monitored intruder/fire alarm fitted would have lowered the risk of this sort of damage happening, but perhaps the new owners didn't consider the cost of doing so, was something that they could afford to meet in order to minimise any such risk to their newly acquired property. Thinking of "risk", doing this might also have had a positive impact on the amount charged for any insurance that the owners may have taken out and this might have been considered by any insurance company claim adjuster, when looking at any claim made following this fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back