• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Chalet in bearwood

pam m

master brummie
Hi, does anyone remeber this pub?, think it used to be at the back of the Kings head on the corner of the lordswood road harborne ??, i remeber my mother walking with my brothers and sisters past this pub and she used to buy us a carton of milk that was for sale in a kind of vending machine outside the pub, :grinsmile: anyone got any pictures at all ,would love to see them:)

Here is the King's Head, and the flat-roofed section far left used to have a full shop window, and was I think a large 'outdoor' for off sales (booze etc to be taken away to drink). I do vaguely remember a 'Chalet' name, it could have been that.

Attachments

• KH.JPG
    KH.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 12
I think "The Chalet" might have been at the bottom of Barnsley Rd, but it's a vague memory!
Many years ago the side section of the "King's Head" was some sort of coffee bar.

I remember one of the rooms was done like a beer Keller late sixtys,large tables sawdust on the floor, and very big glasses of lager

I remember those vending machines, a pub in Saltley used to have one. Were they only outside pubs I'm wondering. I never really thought about it before, but, that was the only one I ever saw.
Hi, does anyone remeber this pub?, think it used to be at the back of the Kings head on the corner of the lordswood road harborne ??, i remeber my mother walking with my brothers and sisters past this pub and she used to buy us a carton of milk that was for sale in a kind of vending machine outside the pub, :grinsmile: anyone got any pictures at all ,would love to see them:)

I can tell you that Elizabeth Redmond is correct. The beer Keller was in the Kings Head building but at the rear and I think up a very small set of steps. in the sixties.

The only time I went into a bar at the Kings Head (in the front door on Hagley Rd, and the room on the right) it had bare boards and sawdust. We turned round and walked straight out, and went elswhere for a drink. I had always thought of it as a 'posh' pub until I actually went in.
The New Talbot wasn't much better, only went in there once as well - and they were the two nearest pubs to where I lived.
Used the Dog on Hagley Rd West a few times, and the Shireland just over the city boundary where Portland Rd becomes Shireland Rd. Or the Harborne High St ones, or the Vine at Clent.
Even the King's Highway at Quinton has gone now, very few of the old pubs left anywhere now.

The only time I went into a bar at the Kings Head (in the front door on Hagley Rd, and the room on the right) it had bare boards and sawdust. We turned round and walked straight out, and went elswhere for a drink. I had always thought of it as a 'posh' pub until I actually went in.
The New Talbot wasn't much better, only went in there once as well - and they were the two nearest pubs to where I lived.
Used the Dog on Hagley Rd West a few times, and the Shireland just over the city boundary where Portland Rd becomes Shireland Rd. Or the Harborne High St ones, or the Vine at Clent.
Even the King's Highway at Quinton has gone now, very few of the old pubs left anywhere now.
I think there were other bars that were nice, it sounds like you stumbled into the beer keller

The New Talbot was THE CHALET so called because of the attached building at the rear where discos etc were held it was also known by other names as well lol but the Chalet it was.... it is still on the corner of Hagley rd Barnsley rd

Thankyou everyone you`ve painted a very good picture of yester year keep um comming if you can!!

Thankyou Lloyd, do you no the year this picture was taken? the vending machine was quite big and only sold milk in a carton! it was on the Lordswood road side, where if you look theres a poster on the wall

This was a great place to go in the day, if I remember, Thursday night was the best night to go, loads of memorable people, yes was on the corner of Barnsley rd and Hagley rd, I worked in the Ivy Bush pub late 60s early 70s, Monument rd and Hagley rd, met my wife there, proper student pub, great days.

The Chalet was at the New Talbot on the corner of Anderson Road and Hagley Road. It was my dads local for over 30 years and mine for about 10. The New Talbot is now sadly demolished, however when I last went to Birmingham the chalet at the back of what was the courtyard still stood.

Back