• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The British Army

O

O.C.

This is a very brief forward on the subject of the British Army in World War Two, so I bet that has surprised a lot of people.
The subject is too vast to cover briefly so I will not do it but here is the intro to start the subject off
The steel cavalry of World War Two were the tanks. The first tanks went into action on September 15th, 1916, on the Somme when, looming out of the mist and followed by crowds of cheering soldiers, they filled the surprised German with terror. But how different the tanks from the Great War than those in World War Two. In the Great War they were slow-moving monsters, WW2 they career across bad country at 18 miles per hour, taking ditches, walls, and almost every other obstruction in their stride.
A battle between opposing tank battalions closely resembles a battle at sea. A tank battalion numbers about 50 tanks, and as in sea warfare the cruisers go ahead of the battleships, so did small, swift tanks scout for the larger monsters which follow more slowly behind, sending back the results of their reconnaissance findings by means of wireless. For every tank was equipped with a wireless installation, and as the admiral at sea did transmits his orders by wireless to his fleet, so the officer in command of the tanks issues his instructions by the same means. In the Great War the army could never have had too many guns, and the same applied in WW2 to a still greater extent. Except for the anti-tank guns, the artillery is usually behind the infantry. Its duties were to pound the enemy's defences, or to send over a barrage of exploding shells between our men and the enemy, either to break up an enemy attack or to cover the advance of our own infantry. In the latter case a creeping barrage is put up, that is to say, the rain of shells moves forward as our men advance. Imagine the accuracy and science needed to put over such a barrage. Most of the guns engaged are probably far behind the lines, and out of sight of the advancing infantry, yet so great is the skill with which modern gunnery had been developed that the gunners can put their shells just where they wanted them.
Of course in the days of aircraft the artilleryman's lot was more difficult than it used to be. The enemy was always on the watch for guns and gun positions, either to bomb them direct or to pass the information back to their own gunners so that they may put a rain of high explosives down upon the spot. In order to guard against such discovery gun positions were usually camouflaged so that the reconnoitring airman cannot spot them from above. What of the British infantryman? Its he who wins the battle in the end and clears up the mess the others have made. Like the rest of the army he had been mechanised as much as possible. Besides the magazine Lee-Enfield rifle, infantry were armed with anti-tank rifles, Tommy guns, and machine-guns, the most famous of which is the light Bren machine-gun
The first photo shows a bridge erected by the Royal Engineers in training the bridge looks flimsy but the lorry is 3 ton
Second Photo shows a Howitzer battery preparing for action

Feel you have done very well by giving us a taste of the history of the British Army  The  Battlefields of WW2 from just looking at Normandy,  to Arnhem, the Ardennes,  and the Italian Campaign of 1943-45. One would need to devote a whole web site to the subject

Its a shame that a lot of Folk dont even know what their family or relatives did in the Second World War let alone the Great War Beryl, my Dad was too disabled from the Great War to join up but by heck he did his bit in WW2.

Would I be able to find my Dads war record for WW2? I know he was in the Royal Warwickshires and had already been in the army before the war. So he was called up straight away. He came back at Dunkirk, and I think he spent a lot of time in Africa after that and did not come home until August 1945. Any ideas please?
Lynda

Lynda, Your best bet is to go onto the website for Public Records Office at  Kew to see what you want to get and go from there
Or go down yourself if its possible if not you can get someone to do it for you for a small fee
But it all can be done from your PC if you know how
I have already put all the info up (Just got to find out were?) and I will tell you
With the records you want I do not think you will have any joy as I dont think you can access them
the best bet it the Regimental Museum for the Warwicks who are quite helpful

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll keep having a look for the info. Its a bit hot tonight so am going to find somewhere cool.
Thanks again
Lynda

After more than 60 years,a memorial
to the Auxiiary Territorial service (A.T.S.)
is now at The National Memorial Arboretum.
The sculpture is of a life size ATS girl in uniform
and was created by the sculptor Andy DeComyn
who also did the sculpture of The Shot at Dawn
Memorial at the Arboretum

I know what my family did, Dad in the Royal Warwickshires Bren Gun Carrier Driver later Batman at Sandhurst, his Brother Uncle Charles RAF and my Cousin Tommy of 5 Ashford Street Royal Army Service Corps volunteered for The Chindits Killed in Burma July 1944.

On that subject Cromwell there is a Memorial in Whitehall to the Chindits any chance of a Photo :)

Re: Cap badge

Graham,
Have you any idea what Regt,Corps,
this cap badge represents?
It's been kicking around in our house
for years
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dennis just placed badge under yours which is a German Mountain Fighter "Edelweiss" Badge.
Not saying yours is that but they used this design quite a lot
O0

Graham, it's roughly half size of that shown,
and the fixing on the back is same as general cap badges
curious Eh? something to get your teeth into ;) ;) O0

It is not a British Army Badge Dennis as any rose is only shown face on(front view not side)
So Its a cap badge worn by some obscure group which I think were women.(land army) Their is nothing in my records remotely like that, and I have just gone through over 6000 badges of the Military Brooch collectors club which I am a member. be very intrested to find out what it is so I shall put some feelers out.

PS I have just turned the badge round to its correct position O0

Dennis you are correct here is badge, regarding your badge it is not British Army but the German Army used this style all through the war, but I ain't into German militaria so cannot do much more go back and have a look at your badge I have put another one underneath so you can see the style they used

ww11

I have recently come across a real treasure which I didnt know was still in the family. Its very tattered and am almost afraid to touch it its brown and entitled soldiers service and pay book he was in rasc and started as a private as a driver and left 5 years later doing same (typical awkward brummie) As it is all so frail can i use the inormation to get me a new copy I would love to show it my grandchildren but couldnt let them handle this It survived Dunkirk and 5years in Africa so must be treated gently Margaret

Margaret, You cannot get a copy of his pay book but why dont you get it Photo copied for the grandkids to see

Hi. Found this card sent to my parents and brother from my Uncle Arthur during the second world war. On the front the insignia says China XC V11 The Prince of Wales regiment. Bye. Jean.

Cromwell ,looking @ the picture it may be a German freemasons id badge [they were banned by adolf in ww2]
rupertbri

I have read the first post on this thread and I am privilaged to say I and my husband know exactly what our family's did in the second world war and have the photo's to back them up some of which I put on the site. My family, especially Pete's dad [mustard gas sufferer from the first world war] did not like to talk about what they went through. It is from letters I found recently told of the suffering and horrors they saw. They also enjoyed the friendship and comeradery they shared. My cousin is going to post poto's of uncle Norman who served on a mine sweeping ship. Had many close shaves. My nan kept his sailors uniform in a big chest for years and often showed it to me. Jean.

Just found this post card in an old tin with some interesting photo's Pity someone removed the stamp. It is from uncle George dads brother to his mother. Bye. Jean.

Dear Mother
Just a line to let you know I am in the pink. Hoping all at home are the same.
I shall be here about a fortnight and then go to Ossley (?) Park London
[This must mean Osterley Park https://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ ]
to finish my training the ( something) on the front (cut off)
mess room are (cut off)
having the best (cut off)
Remember me to (cut off)
tell Mr. Edmonds (cut off)

Inverted card and repaired picture attached.

Back