• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Boar House: Bull Street

There was a pub named Ye Olde Nelson on the site of the 'Broad PH' that was bombed during WW2 in 1942. Is it simply just the case that this was the same public house building but it had a name change sometime after 1887?
Should mention that up till around 1906 (between 1904 and 1908 Kellys directories) the pub is listed as a wine and spirit merchants, under various proprietors. From 1908 is referred to as the Nelson.

On reflection @Lady Penelope, I misunderstood. You mean that Smith could probably see the boar's head weather vane. Like calling your house 'Sea View'...
Yes Stokkie, that's what I meant - there are quite a few houses named Park View in Boldmere that can no longer see Sutton park as the area is very built-up now. Do we know exactly where the property is yet? I must re-read the thread and get my dates right.

Several posts came up after I'd responded - so sad it's not Boar!

Yes Stokkie, that's what I meant - there are quite a few houses named Park View in Boldmere that can no longer see Sutton park as the area is very built-up now. Do we know exactly where the property is yet? I must re-read the thread and get my dates right.

Several posts came up after I'd responded - so sad it's not Boar!
I'm not sure @Lady Penelope. There was a Bear Yard, but did it contain the Bear House? Did this become The Bear and Ragged Staff or was this simply nearby? Does the Will refer to another pub, the Board? (I think that it reads Bear but reading old handwriting needs a longer portion of text.) At the moment, I think we can't be sure of the name or location, because William Smith and his works are so early. I don't know if there are any drawings of Bear Yard?

Back