• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Beehive Pub, 153 Unett Street

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Hi all, but especially mikejee,

I'm posting this for an old friend, Cerisa Pierpoint, who has just joined the Forum.

Has anyone got any information about this pub in the period immediately prior to 1897 when the landlord, William Mealing, passed away. Maps, pictures or any information would be welcomed.

Maurice

hi maurice hopefully mike can help with a map showing where it was but this is a new pub to me i will see if i can find any photos of it...

lyn

William Mealing(s) is listed as landlord in the 1888 Kellys, but not the 1884. I take it that it is not the same William Mealing that was tried for murder in Cirencester in 1862. You say immediately previous to 1897, so I assume you are not interested in other landlords. Therefore all I can give you is a map, below, showing position of the pub (it must have been a beerhouse). It was still in existence in 1921, but had gone by 1932

map_c_1889_top_part_Unett_St_showing_the_Beehive_pub_no_153.jpg

Good morning Mike,

Many thanks for the map. Looking on Gppgle Maps, the whole area has been completely flattened amd is now largely housing, so bears no relation physically to the late 19th /early 20th century area. William Mealings apparently died at the pub, so unlikely that he committed murder, which in those days would have been a certain death sentence. Unlikely too that any succeeding landlords were related. Let's leave it at that for the moment until I know more details. Thank you.

Maurice

hi maurice its a pity it was not the georges vaults pub we are talking about corner of gt hampton row and unett st...i have a cracking pic of that one next time i am at the library i will see what i can find...

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn.

It looks as if it may have gone best part of 100 years ago as there's nothing on Midland Pubs either, just the name.

Maurice

maurice looking at mikes map the beehive was a normal house turned into a pub...the pub may have gone by 1932 but unett st was still up and running into the 1960s so if we can find any pics of the street before demo there is still a chance finding the building....i did this for another member some time ago...

lyn

Thanks Lyn, when Mike said it might be a beerhouse, I suspected that might be the case, but I am not familiar with Unett Street at all.

Maurice

Beehive Pub....... But Is it Unett Street? A thread running on Images and Memories of Brum and Brummies Community. Jordans had 3 'Beehive ' establishments. One in Unett St,Birmingham and one in Birmingham Street Oldbury and another in Bromford Road again in Oldbury

Nick
there are other Beehives as well. Originally early pubs were distinguished by their signs, and a beehive was easily recognised, so was often used, the thing hear is that the landlord mentioned is listed there in Unett St,

Back