• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TAYLOR, William - B: abt 1820

thelids

proper brummie kid
Hi all Can anyone help

My Grandmother was a Taylor and I have traced her family tree back to William Taylor born about 1820 in Birmingham. From different records and sources I have found that he was married to Mary, but this is where the confusion starts. In other peoples family trees, they state that this is a Mary Simmons Born about 1824 (this would match up with the age given in the census's) However in the 1841 census (which is where I think they gained this info), the record reads:-
William Simmons 48 B:abt 1793 Warwickshire (Can't read occupation)
Mary Simmons 37 B: abt 1804 Warwickshire
Joseph Simmons 15 B: abt 1826 Warwickshire - Bellows 'Something'
William Taylor 22 B: abt 1819- Steel 'Something' Maker Warwickshire
Mary Taylor 18 B:abt 1823 Warwickshire
Eliza Taylor 7 months B:abt 1840 Warwickshire

In later census's I found that Williams occupation was listed as Toolmaker and as an Umbrella Maker and William and Mary's Children as :
1) William B: abt 1843
2) John B: abt 1947
3) Alfred B: abt 1849
4) Eliza B: abt 1854
5) George B: abt 1856
6) Thomas B: abt 1858
7) Samuel B: abt 1860
8) Mara(Maria) B: abt 1864
So my confusion is would they name two of their children Eliza? Or does this mean this is not a match? I can't find any marriage records for a William Taylor and Mary Simmons either. Can anyone shead any light on this? Thank you

Re: William Taylor B: abt 1820

Did you check to see if the earlier Eliza had perhaps died and they had another daughter and called her the same name. I have had this in my tree. My maiden name was Taylor but I dont think we have a connection

I've had a look for you. Occupation is a Scale Beam Maker - a skilled craft making the beams for weighing. In the 1851 Census it states Money Beam Maker. As for the dates in the 1841 Census often the age dates were rounded up to the nearest 5 or 0. The dates given for the 1851 are more helpful.

As the death rate for the under 5's was so dreadful in those days, people often named a child after one they had lost a few years earlier. I've found this in my family.

I Think I've found William & Mary Taylor in the 1861 Census living in Mount Street, Aston with 7 children (including Eliza aged 7) He's a Tool Maker.

I've also found an Eliza Taylor (b1854 Aston) in FBMD marriage 1876 to William Bluett and emigration aged 33 (presumably to USA)

Hope this helps a bit.

thelids, In the 1950s my late Wife worked at Taylors Toy Shop in Lichfield Road Aston, shortly after is mother died and he sold us the house he had been left in Erdington, many years late whilst clearing out the attic we found a large Family Bible, by this time Mr Taylor had died and we have been unable to locate family members to return it and it is still in my possession. INside the fly leaf of the bible are the following details in pen and ink :- George Whitmore Taylor b. 1st Feb 1878, Ada Taylor b. 9th Sep 1879, Charles Bernard Taylor b. 31st Jan 1905 and finally William Eric Taylor (the shop keeper) b. 4th Mar 1910. Would this have any connection ??? I would love to be able to return the Bible to the right Taylor family. Eric

Last edited:

Hi Eric - I dont think this is my family but my gt grandfather Arthur Taylor also had a grocers shop at No2 Lichfield Road which was just at the junction with the clock - I wonder what the number was where your late wife worked.

Carolina
Toy shop (1955) : Taylor G. & A. 154 Lichfield rd 6

Hi everyone - Wow I didn't expect so may replies so quickly.

Carolina - I have looked for a death record for Eliza - there are a few although none with birth date of 1840 - so not sure there. I didn't reallise that it was common practise to name children after dead siblings - this is what threw me

Lourocke - I have the 1861 census, but thanks for writing out the other one. Still doesn't look like a link so not sure if my William was married to Mary Simmons or not and if not what Mary was he married too??? Interesting fact about Eliza though, thanks for that too

Eric - at this stage I don't think we do link, but I'm still in the early stages of investigating!!!!!

SO thanks again everyone, if anyone else can shed some more light on this, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks Mike, The G and A is obviously George and Ada. his mother and father. Eric

Can see this post is a while ago...
However I'm also tracing a Taylor tree if anybody recognises the names
William Taylor who's son was
William H married Elizabeth (Eliza) Taylor and had children named
Sam, Joseph, Walter, Emily, Maria and Harriett.
Still trying to trace back but would be nice to see if those with Taylor trees on here have a match!

Last edited:
Yes, however these are rough dates I've put together from using ancestry records, trees etc..
William H Taylor 1829
Samuel (Arthur) Taylor 1867-1958
Harriet 1858, Maria 1860, Joseph 1866, Walter 1871, Emily 1874 - 1938

Would be interesting if others have any of these matching in their trees, as much as I find tracing back interesting it would be nice to connect with a new relative haha.

I have these:
Henry Taylor 1765-1845 married Ann Penny 1774-1847
Henry Taylor 1816-1896 married Maria Adcock 1828-1873
Henry Edward Taylor 1861-1920 married Phoebe Nichols 1862-1907
Alice Frances Taylor 1884-1954 married Charles Coughlin, these are my grandparents on my mother's side.

Lydia you can view my tree on Ancestry to see if you can find any connection. Put in search Abel Taylor Born 1809 in Yardley and look under other people searching him and you should find me.

Back