• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Taylor, Thomas

carolina

master brummie
Can someone help me in what this would mean. There are a few on Ancestry for him. I know he was a malster.

MS 3530/ACC 1935-051/441185 25 May, 1808

Contents:
Lease for a year from James Phillips, late of Ashted, gent., but now of Dover Castle, co. Kent a lieutenant in the Shropshire Militia, and Elizabeth, his wife, to Thomas Taylor of Yardley, maltster, and John Smallbrook of Yardley, maltster and victualler, of the moiety of messuages and appurtenances at Upper Gosty Green Gosta Green and Aston Street, Birmingham.

Can someone help me in what this would mean. There are a few on Ancestry for him. I know he was a malster.

MS 3530/ACC 1935-051/441185 25 May, 1808

Contents:
Lease for a year from James Phillips, late of Ashted, gent., but now of Dover Castle, co. Kent a lieutenant in the Shropshire Militia, and Elizabeth, his wife, to Thomas Taylor of Yardley, maltster, and John Smallbrook of Yardley, maltster and victualler, of the moiety of messuages and appurtenances at Upper Gosty Green Gosta Green and Aston Street, Birmingham.
. The last bit looks quite legalistic "the moiety of messuages and appurtenances". My guess would be leasing part of (moiety) the dwelling house and adjacent land (messuage) together with any rights or restrictions that go with the property (appurtenances). The latter could be rights of way, restricted views, use of septic tank etc. Dave.

Hi Carolina,
I agree with farmerdave - in the McLaughlin Guide, What Does It Mean?
Moiety: strictly half (of property) held jointly. Extended to other proportions.
Messuage: a house, usually larger than a cottage.
Appurtenances: 1. things belonging incidentally to property (small buildings, watercourses, rights of way, hedges. fences etc); 2. all the bits and pieces belonging to e.g. a bed, a table with extra leaves normally attached.
Hope this helps.
I too have a Thomas Taylor in my family tree, but not the same one - mine was in Herefordshire. geofred.

Back