• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

T.J.

Do you ever cycle passed Keepers Pool? Imagine you have just come down from the Cubs monument straight down to the pool. On your right, are two lots of steps, as if there used to belong to some sort of grand house. Do you know what used to be there at all?View attachment 79857Opposite side ot this picture...

You are standing on the corner of the dam looking towards the old swimming pool area behind you used to be the public Toilets which have since been demolished remembering that they would have been built maybe late 1800s early 1900s they were quite elaborate in their day and the remains my be part of them.Dek

Hi Paul thanks for asking. We are all well. I know on one of the fair photo's I am on the up and down horses with my dad screaming my head off. Jean.

Dek & Sue

This photo would have been taken from more or less the same spot.

Attachments

• Sutton Coldfield Keepers Pool Sutton Park.jpg
    Sutton Coldfield Keepers Pool Sutton Park.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 68
Great old photos - thanks for posting them.
Just in answer to an earlier thread - I was from handsworth, moved to Great Barr and now in Sutton for last 20 years.
Handsworth will always be in my heart (great memories).

Spent many summer holidays from School at Keepers..loved to swim out to the raft.

This photo was taken in Sutton park in the early 1950's. My Mom leans against my Dad's first car (van with windows). The photo is already in the forum's Cars in the postwar period thread with some chat about the car.
Dads1stCarinSutton_Park.jpg

Last edited:
Dek & Sue

This photo would have been taken from more or less the same spot.
Yes and just a bit further down are the large steps leading to something...
Sorry didn't see previous post about the public toilets post 1079

55 years have passed since the Scouts Jamboree in Sutton Park - lots of tents for the 32,000 scouts who camped there.
Jamboree Sutton Park 1957.JPG

Last edited:
OMG you are brave I would never do that now....a few years ago maybe...lol

007.jpg Here is a Day trip to Suuton Park 1907 photo. My grt grandfather is the chap front row holding the foot ball and his wife the large lady on his right hand. Their son is on the top row second left

Thanks Davenport for sharing your family photo, I'm always fascinated by the hats ladies wore in those days...

Love these pics and links, thanks again. Interesting how the ladies usually pick up on the hats Wendy. Wonders why hat wearing's mostly died out ... I guess its because it was a more formal day out for ladies in those days ... or maybe its just down to fashion ??

I was a Sea Cadet on board the land locked ship at Boldmere gate in 1954. Great experience of waring the Queens uniform with the then 7 creases in the trousers, each one representing the severn seas. Rowing a Whaler boat on Powels Pool, and marching to Sutton Coldfield town hall on remembrance Sunday, in full dress, feeling so proud. Why didn't I join the Navy, looking back now, I wished I had.

Hi Bikearal72, I too was a Cadet on that ship in about the same year as yourself, great times they were, Manouvres in the park, ropes and knots, ropes and pulleys, semaphore with hand flags, and those uniforms, pressing them was hell. A couple of names that spring to mind that you may remember are Commander Downes and Lt Tillottson, both officers on the ship. I think the best to come out of it was we were taught discipline and respect for others. Great days.

Hi Bikearal72, I too was a Cadet on that ship in about the same year as yourself, great times they were, Manouvres in the park, ropes and knots, ropes and pulleys, semaphore with hand flags, and those uniforms, pressing them was hell. A couple of names that spring to mind that you may remember are Commander Downes and Lt Tillottson, both officers on the ship. I think the best to come out of it was we were taught discipline and respect for others. Great days.
Absolutely, and those lessons in discipline go through your life for ever, regardless of whether you joined the Navy or not. Downes and Tillotson were there when I was there plus a guy called Horne, he was actually married to one of my cousins. Probably why I didn't get on with him too well.
Nice to know that there are still lads about that were there in my day. Some 57 years back, still a vivid but distant memory. Thanks for your reply.

I remember the ship well as it facinated me passing it on our trips to my aunts house she lived off Monmouth Drive. Dad would drive through the park from Four Oaks gate to Boldmere Gate and sometimes we would see the sea cadets doing their drills...happy memories! Nice to see it's still there to!

Back