• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

Popped to Banners Gate entrance today and as Dave said it was a bit windy but not too bad when the sun was out. Jean.

Banners gate up to your knees in snow, trying to get a kiss is very cold indeed but oh the memories so sweet. Regards, David.
Popped to Banners Gate entrance today and as Dave said it was a bit windy but not too bad when the sun was out. Jean.

David glad the photo's brought back some happy memories. Sutton Park was my day out with my parents it was as good as a day at the sea side [well almost]. Jean.

Remember the paddle boats at Blackroot Pool the kids paddling walk past Blackroot towards Sutton Town Gate and the Meadow Platt nearby. An Aston kid found Sutton Park was a wonderland from a bomb frightened life. Great stuff to think about as the parrots fly overhead on the way to the billabong for a drink. Regards, David.
David glad the photo's brought back some happy memories. Sutton Park was my day out with my parents it was as good as a day at the sea side [well almost]. Jean.

David they are building a new playground by town gate will take a photo next time were there . Oh and by the way have one for me while youre there. Jean.

I'll have two just for you. Do they still box at your Aston Pub, boxed there once and had a good hiding by a little old bloke called Hodder who was the trainer. Regards, David.

Bit off topic David but was it the Holte pub. If so ask Patty as her dad was part of the boxing team there. I will try and go back to Sutton Park next week sometime. Jean.

Sorry about that just an old man remembering times long gone, you get like that when you turn a hundred and fifty, as you'll find out eventually. I'm writing a story about Sutton Park and wondered what year was the Scout Jamboree.

David ,the Scout jamboree was in 1957.If you go to the beginning of this thread there are memories from some of the members.Alberta.

David is ther anywhere in the park you would like us to take photo's of?. When I said off topic I meant myself as it is one of my bad habits. I will e.mail Patty for you. I had a photo of the jamboree but can I find it. Mind you I have three tins and a box to trawl through. Bye. Jean.

Dont know whether this will work but try this David
The Holte (
multipage.gif
123 ... Last Page)
jennyann
September 12th, 2007
by BobS
481,651Pubs

Think Photo's are on 2nd page

David is ther anywhere in the park you would like us to take photo's of?. When I said off topic I meant myself as it is one of my bad habits. I will e.mail Patty for you. I had a photo of the jamboree but can I find it. Mind you I have three tins and a box to trawl through. Bye. Jean.
I used to ride a sledge down Echo Hill this side of the railway line on the way to Blackroot Pool from the Four Oaks Gate. If you get along that way wouldn't mind a snap for old times sake thanks. Regards< David.

David scroll back to thread #380 middle photo. That was taken a few weeks ago and is a bit of a hill that leads to Blackroot pool. Jean.

No Jean that's not Echoe Hill, the hill I'm talking about is the other side of the railway bridge towards the Four Oaks Gate. We used to cycle from Blackroot Pool towards the railway line bear left along a gravel path towards a tunnel through towards the road behind the big houses of Hartopp Road. Echoe Hill lay off to the left where we used use sledges in the winter snow. There was a beautiful copse of silver birches along the top. Thanks for your help anyway its been a fun search. Regards, david.

Thanks for that Dave I think the second map is much clearer than the first. Will show Pete when he gets back and next week hopefully find it. I would love to track down the tree with the carving on too. Jean.

Picture 1:
is of my eldest son on a slide at a fete in Sutton Park near the Town Gate in 1961.

Picture 2:
He is on the roundabout at the same fete and the pram in the back ground holds his new brother. (1961)

Picture 3:
is taken at the fair at Crystal Palace. (me trying to make the waltzer go faster) 1960

Thanks for the photo's Rowan. I can't find my old ones of the fair about 55 years ago I think my brother must have them. Jean.

Thanks for the map Dave, here I am sitting twenty miles from the bushfire damage and at the same time visiting Sutton Park. Echo Hill, according to the map, is half way between Blackroot Pool and the Gumslade where I spent mant happy hours playing you name it we played it. The was an old gravel pit at the Gumslade we used to win all our wartime battles in. Much skin missing as we rolled down it's rough walls. Kind regards, David.

Thanks again Jean for your help, great fun eh?
Thanks for that Dave I think the second map is much clearer than the first. Will show Pete when he gets back and next week hopefully find it. I would love to track down the tree with the carving on too. Jean.

What a lovely map. I remember this area of the park so well. I used to cycle round here every week as a child. As I mentioned before I worked on the boats at Blackroot in my school holidays. Happy days!

Remember that long skiff Wendy, one wrong lean and you were in the water. Regards, David.
What a lovely map. I remember this area of the park so well. I used to cycle round here every week as a child. As I mentioned before I worked on the boats at Blackroot in my school holidays. Happy days!

Back