• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Substitute for Sweets

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
When Sweets were short or Mother couldn't afford them she use to give us Cocoa and Sugar mixed together in paper.

Any other substitute you can remember. :)

:angel: Substitute for 'Peppermint Creams': Icing Sugar, water and a few drops of Peppermint essence. Rolled into balls and flattened, or left in balls and then left over night in the larder to dry out. Mom made these after icing cakes (She was very clever with an icing bag) with the left over icing.

Chris :angel:

I too had cocoa and sugar it used to taste delicious. Does anyone remember we used to buy liquorice root which was like tree bark and we used to chew or suck on that - ugh.

I, too, had liquorice root. It would last for hours and tasted lovely..... ;)

You can still buy it today in most Health Food shops

Rowan I need to show my 4 lads what its like.

They have had Black Pudding, Faggots, Brawn, Bread Pudding, Bread & Butter Pudding,Haslet Kippers, Mackerel, Mussels, Penny Winkles but no Grey Peas or to give proper name New Zealand Green Peas just for Kate :2funny:

By the way their ages range from 13 to 23

Big cocoa and sugar fan here.

Liquorice root used to get all wet and sringy as you chewed your way through it, which was yuccy, but I loved the taste.

The chemist used to sell what we called Spanish Liquorice, it was black and very hard, almost like fox's glacier mints. It was a laxative, but that didn't seem to bother us kids much.

I too remember liquorice root, which I used to think was REVOLTING. In the USA they drink a disgusting beverage called Root Beer, which I guess comes from the same source. from its awful taste.
Anyone remember Pontefract Cakes? I don't, but they were once popular apparently in South London. They are black liquorice pastilles which are almost undegradeable. The one I was once given went straight in the next bin.
Peter

Is liquorice root what we used to call Spanish liquorice in the sixties- it looked a bit like a light-coloured twig?

ChrisB

Wow, we used to love that. Didn't know you could still get it.!

ChrisB :D

My mum used to tell me that she used to have Rhubarb to dip into sugar in paper instead of sweets when she was a kid - suppose I was very lucky I had caylie with a lollipop :smitten:

I definitely had Toffe Apples - Tasmania being the Apple Isle! Can't remember having many sweets at all until my early teens when I had 20 pence each Friday to buy my "lunch". I usually spent half of it on what we call "lollies". I would have a h'penny of that, a h'penny of that - until the shop owner got sick of me and threw some mixture into my lolly bag and told me to get back to school!

When we were kids in WW2
sweets being rationed,we would eat raw carrot's
swedes, & Tunips and we thought they
were great O0

Yep, we used to have rhubarb and sugr - I hated it. We also used to buy an oxo cube and lick it - ugh - but when everybody else is licking away what can you do. ::)

Liquorice Wood Spanish Wood?

I know I used to chew this a lot. Was this when sweet rationing was in?
I remember my Mum saying because I'd been good she said I could get some sweets. She gave me tuppence and I was able to buy three butter sweets unwrapped, which were placed in a little pointed greaseproof bag.
Anne

I used to have a little knob of butter rolled round in sugar if I got a sore throat Mom used to say the butter eased and the sugar cut the phlem, it seemed to work

I remember having licorice root - the other 'sweet' alternatives would have been too sweet for me

Patty, My Mother used to give me that as well, and it did seem to work, didnt it ? Maybe it was psychological, but it did taste good. Thanks for reminding me. Barry.

We were given butter and sugar when we had a sore throat and cough. I couldn't eat it today, but I loved it then............

Back