• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Student Outer Circle Bed Race

I don't remember the bed race but I certainly remember the students Rag Week from that era, they used to produce a magazine too didn't they?

Does anyone remember the Student Outer Circle Bed Race if my failing memory serves me correctly it was part of Rag Week. I took part in the late 60's
I do not remember a pram race, they did do a parade amongst the traffic I remember our dad putting a few coins in the box. There may have been some prams amongst the parade.

This image was from 1948 Birmingham

Attachments

• Rag week.jpeg
    Rag week.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 9
Birmingham carnival was a massive event in the 60s. It started sometime in the previous century and had grown to the point that they had concerts with big names in a lot of the city centre venues for around a fortnight. The parade was massive and ran from the university all the way through the city centre. Then they built the Queensway. The parade was limited to a couple of circuits around Great Charles street and the annual magazine became a rag mag sold for a couple of bob on the streets. The bed race sounds like a standard rag week stunt but it could have been earlier. Central library do have a run of the magazines from the carnival going back a long time but after it became a rag mag they stopped listing events.

Back