• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stringer Family

fudge

proper brummie kid
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck looking up small pox vaccination records from 1862 onwards. Small pox vaccinations became mandatory in 1853 and they started keeping records in 1862. I am interested in finding them for my g-great-grandmother to obtain more information on her.

I wasn't sure where to post this.

Thanks everyone!

They are difficult to find as different areas adopted different persons responsible for this.
In some areas the clergy were expected to record them and in others the Poor Law guardians/governors. London started up a Sanitary Board to manage the recordings amongst other things.
I am not sure what Birmingham used, but think it may have been clergy based initially.
Good luck,
Sue

They are difficult to find as different areas adopted different persons responsible for this.
In some areas the clergy were expected to record them and in others the Poor Law guardians/governors. London started up a Sanitary Board to manage the recordings amongst other things.
I am not sure what Birmingham used, but think it may have been clergy based initially.
Good luck,
Sue

if it was clergy based, any idea where I would start looking? any good websites to browse, anywhere to e-mail for inquiries?

thanks so much!

Not sure if it would be in Parish records or whether the NHS would have taken them over.
Contacting the church/diocese involved could be a starting place if you know her addresss and parish.
Someone else on the forum may haqve more advice, but you may have to repost when Warren has got the site fully running, although he is doing it 24/7 it takes time and some people still haven't got access.
Sue

Back