• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street Baked Potato & Chestnut Sellers

Hi, I relived that story with you. I too came into Brum to sit in the News Theatre, and watch the cartoons and the shorts, (Three Stooges/Laurel & Hardy/Charlie Chaplin and others) plus the serials. Lovely days. never to come again. What a gentler time we lived in, and my....how I wish it would come again.
Gary in retrospect they sure were gentler times, didn’t have much but we didn’t need it! Now we have all of that whiz bang stuff and most are not any happier! Steps pice could be about many of us, that shilling or sixpence each week was our treasure trove, our horizon was next week at the Saturday pictures, the Bull Ring, hot potatoes, something very simple!

A comparison, this year oñe of my grandsons a uni student has travelled to France, Spain and Italy(Interail), Scandanavia(Interail again) And on Friday , he is off to Albania. Say no more, but the cinema was a.ɓetter way .to spend what little money we had. Sorry Mods for off thread.
Bob

A comparison, this year oñe of my grandsons a uni student has travelled to France, Spain and Italy(Interail), Scandanavia(Interail again) And on Friday , he is off to Albania. Say no more, but the cinema was a.ɓetter way .to spend what little money we had. Sorry Mods for off thread.
Bob
Point very well taken!

Back