• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stour Street

claire-brum71

master brummie
Has anyone a map of Stour Street please, listed in 1901 as being under Rotton Park, Edgbaston area, would like to see the surrounding area and maybe find what church(s) would have been local to there please, many thanks :)

hi claire
just read your thread for info on stour st and requesting what was the local churches nearest to stour street as i am a more or less a native to stour street
because i lived and brought up on the block to stour street and new most people in stour street and springfield street which was another street on the block to us
the emediate church was st peters which was a c of e, church which was in george st west which vitualy was at the bottom of the street of stour street depending what no in stour street you lived one end of the street was king edwards rd and the other end was cope street if you walked to the bottom of the street towards king edwards rd there was a little passage and that was called spring hill passage
walk down there it took 2 min,s and at the bottom cross the main rd and therewas st peters ,and its still there , also at the bottom end of stour street there was a pub called the bell and i have got a picture of that ,
then the next church closes to that was st patricks [ catholic ] church , plus the ajoing school which as up the hill of spring hill which became dudley rd after reaching the top of the hill was on your left and side it now faces the birmingham city hospital as it now called [ why heavens knows ] because it was dudley rd hospital in my mind and always will i surpose alot of us old ones will always refere to it as dudley rd
i know i do today .
then up around to blocks away from stour street there was the methois church
if you took a left hand turn out of stour street and up the hill of cope street
passing spring field streettill you reached the top of cope street there was another pub ,turn left there and walk afew hundred yards you would have come to the methy church which is onthe monument rd ,they used to to barn dancing there for the grown ups in them days and for the lids picture mattnees wednesday and saturdays
all for 3.p bit .as i said it was all on the block of stour street
if you came out of the church entrance and cross over the rd to the rd whch was an extention of king edwards rd walk down there for about 100 yards and cross over the rd to st marks street on the corner was another church
but getting back to the church being nearest it was st peters george st west
i havegot a picyure of stour street as it is today and i have one when it was just houses the orinional street i recently went back in time to capture what it is like today i was shocked to what they done with stour street the plannining department want doing away with i was going to put some pics on6 months ago
but our good friend astoness [ lynn] put a couple on so i did not persue but my pics are differt to what she recently took she did not show any of the old days of the
street there only two i recall is put the pic of the local school junior and infant school
which virtualy every kidin the infants strted there whenat the age of five to commence schooling you up graded in age there you moved into the juniors then you would have had to move out and choose a new school which would have been
a senior school most of the kids either went to osler st or barford rd
i went to ickneild st boys only with my two cousins barry and bryan phelps
whomvirtualy lived across the rd behind the school in ford street they have both made a success of there lives barry lives abroad and bryan runs an electricial busines
in briealy street summer lane ,
i hope that as given you some answer to your question
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;;;;;;;;

Astonian, as always your wealth of knowledge has once again floored me, absolutely amazing and had helped me no end, that information is priceless, thank you so much for that you are a real diamond :) The number i am interested in is a court back of 61 Stour Street, so what end of the street would that have been? the King Edward Road or Cope Street?

Have to agree tho that a lot of brum has been ruined by the planners!

Claire
A map is attached. No 61 would have been on the left (west side of the street above the iron foundry, so the court must be the one with the houses in red, as there seems no other in that area
mike

hi mike
i thought it was very stange when you put the maps on site
when i log on i never look to see whom is on site. and after writing my bit of the thread to clare , she left a question of which end is 61 , court. and i had to try and think very hard i was running through the famlys of whom lived where , can remember the familys from one end to virtualy the other end but for the love nor money i cannot remember he house numbers as to which end they started
from the bell end which i think any way came under the king edwards rd address
so i thought of the first house next to the bell in stour street and work up to cope street but i just cannot connect then i thought i would right on the thread
and request you put a map on possible showing which way the numbers go
and lord and behold you appear with the maps i thought to myself
[ strange thinking ] but it still not give me any answers .
so i thought my very best mate lived at the top end of stour street
so thought if i can get some one to do a lok up on the family by the name of memory that should give a nudge to what way the house was going
the ather was a joseph memory he would have ben born around the late 1800.s to early 1900s and there was a shop on the corner of stour stret and cope st
some of the house just had back to back some had the courts in
i had another friend whom i am in touch with is albert mousdale whom i was friends with whom lived in one of the courts the same time as me my wife went to school with is wife and knew is grand father the chief fire officier
so i then thought i would email him and asked which way the numbers went in stour street i knew in one of the courts there was a bookie runner i am thinking its the courts with the kane fammiy or the pitts but i just cannot get the number angle right
any chance you can help clare on this one
best wishes astonion ,;;;;;

The only "Memory" family on electoral roll (up to 1920) are Charles and Elizabeth Memory at 137 Runcorn Rd, Balsall Heath. Charles had an allotment in Beddings Road.

hi lloyed
many thanks for telling me that info;
i think i could have some bit of of a coincidence ,you saying about another memory , family living some where else , but i do know that there was a memory family living in stour street in the early fifties and a taylor , and a pitt and a day family and a davies i think ran the shop ,is there any way you can do another check for that early fifties as i would like to nail this ladies question as to wich end it is
there is a chance that it could have beenthe bookies runner court
but saying that the biggest courts was where albert moudale lived
that was a big court which went from stour street through to spring field street and
cope street there exits in the court gave them four exits into the massive court
two entries in spring field st, and one side to cope street and the one in stour street
i hope you do not mind re asking you because i know you are a gem ,
and bang on . once again lloyedmany thanks for your valubable tim
best wishes astonian ;;

HI AMNDA ; I Can tell you they was very small houses like dolls houses ; those houses that comenced from the top end of the street
from joy whitehouse parents house and shop ; which was the corner shop on stour street and cope street
and walking back towards king edwards rd the first dozen or so when you waled into there houses you had to step down into them
but abit further down the rd they was your norm; terrace houses with courts ;with cast iron grates for your cooking and boiling on those old fire places and you would have had a clothed line running from one side of the room across to the other sidejust hanging from below the ceiling to get your clothes dryed and that was up till then end of those houses in stour stret when stour street was demolished ; astonian

Morning Astonian :o),
Its fascinating learning how ones relatives lived, and also quite humbling !!
Ive looked at present Stour street on Google maps and cannot work out at all which end my grans house would have been.
i am up in Brum next week and i shall take mum on a nostalgic tour of the back streets of brum ( by car though as she's not good on her feet) , maybe there will be numbered buildings that will help give an idea of which end i should be focusing on.
What year were they all demolished then ? i know it was something to do with the re-generation of Brum. My family were all shipped over to harborne area. i do know they were still living in Stour street in 1929 as my great gran died at number 4. Another victim of TB.
x
x

Hi Amanda;
i have to say that if you go down there now its not stour street as it was its been badly shortened and destroyed
the whol lengh of the street as disapeared i was total gob smacked there is nothink that reseveald the stour street
if you have never been there in your life you will not get he true feeling or its out lay of the street as it was even going back in time through 1929
and up to about the seventys i beleive they started to demo that bock of stour street and the ajoing streets ; around the block
such as king edwards rd and springfield street which surriunded stour street
thou the only part i know they have not changed is the exit from spring hill which is called spring hill passage they have not actualy changed that the litte rd that goes up curves abit ; on the start up the rd of it
the first buiding you would pass on your right would have been prices stainless steel and silver cutlerey manufact;
there buidin still stands ; but it looks terrible its all been broken into small actory out lets ; when prices owned it it was a very posh building ; now its delapted on passing that there would have been mt lumb,s house the care takers house which as gone and the play ground is a whole scrap yard then you will se what is left of stour street ;
i know some one whom is married to one of the memory family they was the younger brothers of my great friend whom was there oldest brother tony whom got killed on a motor bike my young brother also knows the family today i will asked him what there house numbe was in stour
i think it was87 ; but then i will tell you where no 4 was ; astonian

Hi,
Well ive never been to that area of Brum at all, but I go to stay with mum for a week, each month, she is in halesowen now. We thought that this week we would find Stour Street, Tennant Street, look for Novascotia street- think thats aston. Its just to see whats there really. Another one we going to is Dartmouth Street, i found old pics of that in the end, and looking on Google it blooks like part of the old bit is still standing. Dartmouth Street 1905 (1).jpgDartmouth Street 1905.jpg so we will see.
It will be very interesting for me to feel the streets as it were. Will let you know how we get on.x

HI AMANDA
I hope you enjoy your week of adventure around the city ;
as far as i know there is parts of the old dartmouth street still in excistance but i cannot say whether tennant st and the aston one will not be there
but any way i am sure you might get some imagination and the feel of those old areas
and we look foreward to your reportings ; great ;have a nice week end ;
i myself is off to hamms lane car boot on sunday ; the highlights of my sundays ; best wishes astonian alan ;

Hi Amanda even though the places have changed it is just a good feeling to walk the area that the ancestors came from.Last year when we were in Birmingham we booked into the Campalia in Nechells for a night it had not been planned. We took a walk round the area and could not believe were we we're as we came upon streets that family members had lived in Richard Street Adam Street Chester street and Dartmouth Street I was so excited. That was my husbands side of the family it was the heritage trail for my side plus Key Hill and Warstone lane all this one of the highlights of my trip. Have a great visit.

Hi,
Well ive never been to that area of Brum at all, but I go to stay with mum for a week, each month, she is in halesowen now. We thought that this week we would find Stour Street, Tennant Street, look for Novascotia street- think thats aston. Its just to see whats there really. Another one we going to is Dartmouth Street, i found old pics of that in the end, and looking on Google it blooks like part of the old bit is still standing. View attachment 73936View attachment 73937 so we will see.
It will be very interesting for me to feel the streets as it were. Will let you know how we get on.x

Hello Amanda Novascotia St has long gone this was between Coleshill St and Curzon St the new museum has now been built on it.Dartmouth St is now part of the inner ring road and is now 2 lanes.Your first photo is not Dartmouth St but Lawford St this was the last street of the Vauxhall Rd adjacent to Lawley St.Dek

Good morning Amanda
i Don,t know whether or not you have read the last couple of threads on your request for stour strreet from our lovely members
Of our great forum and your aspirations of seing where your relies lived in stour stret will be bearing fruit but i am sure you will enjoy your
your trip as paul saidwhen you get to darthmoth st thats the only exciting part left along with lawley street
but can i just mention again about seeing stour street and if you remember i told you of the spring hill passage that you can drive up
to get to stour street ; well that takes you to the beginng of stour street when you get to the end of the passage way it turns into
you will be looking at your right hand side ; from the drivers side of the car you will see the play ground which
is knocked through to the school into one because it goes right back to the main play ground where you will see the excistitig
scholol building thats when you pull up and take a look through the wire fencing across that open ground
the first fifty yards or so from the fence was a little factory i cannot recall the name it was there for years
as i wa a kid ; but then emediatly that was building of the school started it wasthe under five starting of the school buildings
of class rooms it was a large complex i started there
it had two seperate play grounds one for the infants and nursery seperated by big gates and one around the side of the building making three play grounds which can be seen from going around the block of the school into steward street where you will find that half of the excisting school is still standing and they are the class rooms where most of us learnt our abc ,s of education and thats where your relies would have been as well
the orinional gate way as gone from years ago it was a wooden one orinionaly even when i was there they replaced it with a see through gate
so you can see the third play ground we played in and the bit of garden was maitained by mr lunb whom was the care taker ; i cannot recal the name of the first care taker he left about six months after i started ; across the rd from those school gates was a very old church which stood emty for many a donkey years it was never open in my school boys days and they all said it was a haunted hurch full of ghost asal uskids was told y the elders
and next door to that there was a black smiths with stable door front ; with the black smith doing his work 'w all used to come out and cross over and watch him doing the shoes on his amvil ;so any way at least you will see the school where your family went ;from stour street
from no 4 across the rd into the passage and straight into school oh and on the corner of the bend into stour stret there was an old house where she made her front room into a sweet shop for all the kids coming out of school her name was mrs mitchels ; we all called her mitch; for short
she used to have to big trays the half peny tray and the penny tray of sweets ; and the other tray was two pennies and the three penny bit tray ;
becaus she had bad eye sight some of the kids connend herand use to say and asked for the penny tray ; they would shout at her becauseshe had a hearing problem as well; and say ; mitch i gave you a shilling peice or they swore blind they gave her a threpny peice ; and then she say okay ; and the poor lady was short changed and robbed it was a rough and tumble of a place to grow up in beleive me my opld mate dave lived next door to her his cousiins the steadmand lived across the rd to old alibones shop ;
so which is ever right on the number 4 house i cannot say at the moment but if i se the lads ; meaning the kids that lived there my old time friends was
joeuy or steven ; i will aked them what was there old number in stour street for some reason i think it wa the top end but i will bear t in mind ;
i know put a map up i myself cannot makeit out ; but if no 4 was this end by the passage then she lived across the rd facing he school
i will whatch your thread and try and get in touch but remember to se the building its self go back down the passage and turn left and its the next turning on your left and there is a nice little pub there which as been there for donkeys years i remember it from a little one room pub ; its been redelveloped and extenrted done out nicely get a coffee or a meal ; best of luck ;; alan ;; astonian
and next to the pub;

HI AMANDA
No its over sutton coldfield its actualy comes under colshill ; it along from the old power station of many years ago
its down hamms lane ; and its a giant of a boot run by andrew walsh and his family its open all the year around right up until christmas eve
it does not matter whether the condition of the weather ; rain or snow its open.s and it always packed any weather i highly recomend it ;
its so good you could put your house for sale on it and you would sell it i have been going for years there
we specialize in computors and soft ware and technolgy ;well sell alsorts for technolgy all brand new with the usal gaureentee
no quible; occasionionly we go to cheltam race course wich i also recomend which is openal the year round
that is a gracking place for old antiques and quirkey things its out of this world ;
i know the one at hagley hill but i don;t rate it ; its like studley large and you do not pay for parking but the goods you are likely to buy are like a jumble sale i live not far from that one but i travel to sutton ; i start out at 4 30 and at the boot by 5-30 set up
because i have my regular customers whom buy from me ;
for get hagley hill if you go there i highly recomend to you or anybody eklseif you want to buy or sell those are the two place to be at ;
have a nice day ; alan ; astonian ;

Hiya,
Oooh i often go to the Cheltenham Race course one !! But admit , not when its cold !!
as i live in Cirencester, Cheltenham is only 25 mins away.
Never been to the one on Hagley Hill, but have often got caught in the traffic build up due to it !!
Enjoy your weekend then,.
I'm getting a few more people's histories written up and printed out for the folder.
Looking at the Gun Quarter at the mo...................think I'll take Mum to the Bulls Head, it seems her Great Grandad would have been paid his wages
in there every week , and probably drank them too.
:o)
x

Back