• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stirchley Station - Request For Information

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi train train buffs
As anybody got a picture of stirchlley train station as it was then known it was then known as stirchley Street Station and was open end
In 1876 , but renamed bournvile station in 1880 and still is today , I have a picture card of it if anybody wanted to see it I will down load it
Hayley Road Station was openened on The Harborne line in 1874. And became part of the London and north western railways,
Which in its turn Became part of the LMS, System,the Four mile branch Was Busy in Edwardian Days, but was closed to
Passengers in November 1934. Goods Traffic survived at Hayley Road for another 29 Years,
And this will I think eventually came under the adding of the railways of Beecham
There was one track that was used and that was a single track from harbornesto the city centre for mainly heavy gods
And salvage back and forth which ran down behind the summmer field park which is is dudley road
And phases north rook street winson green and crosses the grand union canal when coming from the city heading for harbourne
Coming through monument lane railway sideing and sheds and of the course of monument red railway station
Which at one time was busy passing Docker brothers paints of rotten park road just after there the single track for this goods train
Diverted of with its goods under a railway bridge and up between the houses , even after beeching axed the trains services
Going up behind the park and the big houses of gillott road. Where all residents dumped there unwanted goods of house hold
Threw all there rubbished over the hears it was just impossible for the train to continue to be used
It was like looking at a large council waste disposal it was entirely impossible to get the engine through
And I will also through edbaston and of harborne remnants also done it
I have not been to that area now for at least forty years so I do not no what state of the old line is like
I could not think whether or not they tried to remove all, the garbage from monument road end through to harborn
Unless we have got some one from Winson green on our forum whom is still with us today to tell us the state of play and look over
The small fence around the park to see is it still choc o. Block
Have a nice day everybody best wishes Astonian,,, Alan,,,,,,,,

Alan I have moved this from the 'Tamworth Field Trainspotting' thread but it looks as if it may need splitting up into 2 separate threads.

BernardR

Alan
Attached are a picture of Hagley Road station and on of Bournville station marked as 1879, so it must have still been named Stirchley.

Bournville2BStation2B1879.jpg

hagley_road_station_1934A.jpg

Hi mike
Many thanks for those pics they are brilliant and close up the only one I have is habit of a high shot
Where you can see the name of bournville on the platform and its not as clear to see as yours I have planned to put it on this evening
After the x factor and the old Dutch ESS is watching doughtan abbey what ever they call it I cannot Stand That programe

After all it is a woman's programe ain't it thanks again mike best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,,,,,

Hi Bernard

Many thanks for doing that for me enjoy the rest of hour day best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,,

Back