• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stephenson Place

I liked the Danish Food Centre and eat there often. In fact I used them for the catering for a reception for clients that I held in my office. I and my staff took the leftovers home and I did not need to prepare food at home for about three days. It was owned by a farmers' cooperative in Denmark.

Going back to the second post card on this thread, There are two startling errors in the caption. Bob Davis has mentioned the error of labelling the Exchange Building as a station but they have not even go the nearest station right. The Midland Station was the other side of Queens Drive with its main entrance in Station Street. The New Street side was the London & North Western Station.

When I was a cabbie the stretch from New St down to the bottom of the slope was known as The Gardens, I have never known why.

Post 28 shows a wheeled ladder known in fire brigade terms as an escape ladder. They were in common use in cities and towns that had a large proportion of flat or relatively flat and open areas where the ladder could be speedily wheeled to a building. You did not find many in towns with hilly and narrow streets.
I wonder if there was a rescue of someone, or something, on the adjacent building? Or maybe it was a demonstration by the cities firemen.

This ladder appears on quite a few postcards I've seen. But would such things be left unattended (given the naturally adventurous nature of your average, lively boy) ? Viv.

This photo shows Stephenson Place in the distance and the same milk float seen in post#34.
6097965340_4bc3c63889_b.jpg

I had occasion last week to catch a 101 bus for the first time. The 101 was combined with the Lodge road bus, I think the no 95 or 96, some years ago. The idea was that the buses in the low 100 series would operate from the suburbs and do a circuit of the city centre. As part of this programme the no. 3 from Quinton was renumbered 103 which served purely to annoy the residents of Quinton. All this has now gone by the board and the 101 now just runs from Oxhill Road to Colmore Row

The 101 still runs then, albeit it on a modified route. It history is chequered it appears.
I commenced in October 1972 to serve an area not well served by buses in the city centre, some of which had become pedestrianized. It was not very successful due to limited route mileage covered; it had what was known at the time as midi buses. (Commer). The route got a wider area to cover in 1974 as was a success leading to the type of buses shown in post 37 (by Old Mohawk). It was at that time that it received the route number 101. The post by David, above, (39) suggest further extensions and alterations.

Stephenson Place in November 2015 before the trams started running down here.

From the tram 2 years later in November 2017 towards Corporation Street.

The Gardens.JPG
In the Birmingham Hackney carriage drivers world this rank was always known as THE GARDENS. This must stem from when there were large tubs of flowers from the top to the bottom of the slope.

Back