• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stephenson Place

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A charming image of Stephenson Placee in 1907 (note PC is labelled Stevenson Place with a 'v'). It must once have provided a nice break in the landscape along New Street with its statue (Thomas Attwood), trees and the view looking down to Queens Hotel/New Street Station. It must once have been a popular meeting place. Develpments after the Exchange Building demolition completely ruined this little area. Viv.

image.jpeg

The same subject with a few omissions, but this postard's entitled Midland Station. The fact that the station isn't really in view seems immaterial! The drawing in post #1 looks to have been based on this image with some of the boys removed from the drawing. Viv.

image.jpeg

Viv. I think the first is a drawing, possibly taken from the photo, and the "Midland station" one id a coloured photo

The first view below is c1867/9 - a view across Stephenson Place showing the ground being cleared in readiness for the building of Midland Bank on the corner of Stephenson Place/New Street (in more modern times it became Waterstones, now Apple Store). At this time the image shows there were no public conveniences, trees or ornamentation (except for the Attwood statue).

By the late 1800s/beginning of 1900 we see it beginning to take shape as a square with public conveniences, (drinking fountain?), lighting, potted ornamental trees, even a fire engine.

And later still it had several telephone boxes installed. The business activities of the Exchange building and the flow of people to and from New Street must have justified the installation of all these conveniences. Stephenson Place had become a very busy part of town.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Then by the 1960s all this was swept away and the unsightly 'ramp' was installed to give access to New Street Station. Such a great pity. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 16
There was often a hot chestnuts/baked potatoes "machine" at the top of the slope by the Midland Bank

Last edited:
There was always a hot chestnuts/baked potatoes "machine" at the top of the slope by the Midland Bank

jim i remember it..thank goodness we have photographs to remind us of what was once a lovely city centre

lyn

In store I think Maurice. There's also a bronze reclining Attwood by the Town Hall, although not certain that's still there either. Viv.

Come now Dave, one woman's got her brolly up. That's well covered as far as H&S ! Viv.

rly days of the picture postcard 1900 to 1912, the photographers were quite unscrupulous and would sell plates/negatives to any publisher who would pay for them. It is quite common to see the same picture plus or minus bodies/artefacts issued by different people. Although there were British Post Card publishers, the bulk of the post cards were printed in Saxony, (part of the German Empire since 1871, but retaining its original identity). As I stated elsewhere there was no colour photography at this time and all pre 1930 postcards in colour were hand coloured/tinted and this would account for the different colouration of these two cards, also it would depend who published the card as to the title theron and any collector will tell you the mangling of names and misprinting of names on cards is common place. However pictures of Railway Stations sell better than pictures of hotels or public buildings. The original photo would have had all the figures in the Stevenson Place card on, but publishers often rid the photo of boys and men and in some cases vehicular traffic in an effort to make the picture more appealing to buyers. At this time as well there was a collecting bug just getting underway. As a matter of interest have either of these cards dated postmarks or publishers names on them? Postmarks can be misleading, I have seen cards issued in 1903 (before that date you could only put the address on the back, which is why there was a white space along the base of the card for the message), which have been kept in a shop that did not sell many, still being sold into the 20s and 30s with a postmark for that era and often the scene had changed very noticeably. What I have noticed is that some first class cards have been included in the forum and whilst possibly 20 years ago these two cards would have been 30p for Stevenson Place and £3.00 for Midland Station (it's a station card!!!!) now Stevenson Place is probably at £5 to £8.00 (or £15.00 rare spelling) and Midland Station ...well name your own price (it's a station you see!!!!). And those in the know seeing this card would seek to correct the dealer and mention politely and helpfully to the him.. ...er excuse me I would like to point out that.......the rest of the conversation is too 21st century for the ears of the genteel people who are the BHF

Bob

Photo #18 gives a good impression of the slope. How did the builders accommodate the slope in the Exchange building ? In the plan drawing in #19 on the second level facing Stephenson Place there's an additional row of arched windows (see pink dots in attached image). I don't think they can be rooms as they're too short. So did these windows form part of the lowest (ground) level on Stephenson Place, giving the ground floor rooms very high ceilings? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 22
A clearer version of the 3rd pic in post#4. A busy scene and a large wheeled ladder in the centre of the pic.
Image1b.jpg

A1.png
This pic without text looks remarkably like S. Place but when I was a taxi driver I do not recall seeing buses using it.

It was full of buses in the 1970s, all the ones going down Bristol road. I used them a lot

The Danish Centre - the shop furthest left on the ramp - my mum and I used to go in there for their open sandwiches. Thought we were terribly modern ! Viv.

Half the calories Lady P! Don't think I've ever seen another Danish Centre. The one on the ramp must have closed in about the 1980s, if not a little before that. Viv.

Looks like some sort of gathering in Stephenson Place in 1911 ... wonder what for? The wheeled ladder seen in post#21 is in the same position in this view.
20170831_154832447_iOS.jpg

Now the ramp has an HSBC, followed by the entrance to a Premier Inn hotel, followed by a McDonald's!

Back