• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Train

Alf I also spent my misspent youth there in between the east side rail entrance circa 1957-1960. Then I realized there where better things to do, but had some good times train spotting. We could have been there at the same time, with our cucumber sandwiches, canvas shoulder bags, and short trousers. If only we could have had some of the opposite sex there we may have lingered longer. I wonder if anyone took photos of us train spotters? Happy days!!
Hi there, you still get train spotters without the steam, Bernard

The reason that the Kings were prohibited from most lines on the system was because of their 22tons axle weight, they were designed for high speed passenger trains on the main lines and not for pottering around on the lighter laid secondary routes. Also it would have been expensive to upgrade these lines just on the off chance that the heaviest locomotives may occassionaly use it.

All GWR locomotives had a painted disc on the cabside over the numberplate with I think blue for the lightest classes up to red for the heavier classes thence to double red for the thirty strong Kings.

Back