• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

Hi Steve
I have found the following which may help John Pegg Married Ann Coley
Marriage Date:30 Aug 1835 Marriage Place:St. Philip'S Cathedral, Birmingham, Warwick, England Indexing Project (Batch) Number:I03069-9System Origin:England-EASy Source Film Number:813730 Reference Number:yr 1832-1837 p 341

I hopr this helps Regards Stars (Eric)

hi eric,
yes,thats the one i found. but on looking at the microfilm the other day nothing came up. i was hoping someone might have more info on the actual marriage details.
steve.

I know that Abel Taylor married Ann Hall at St Phillips, Birmingham in 1826. As I need to go back further can anyone help with regarding getting information on this marriage so it would give me their father's names. Abel was born 6/4/1809, Lyndon Estate, Yardley and Ann was born 1906 Long Compton. I cant see to get any further back on info. Thanks for anyone's help. Carol

Re: Taylor

Carolina, do you mean St Phillip's? You added the thread to St Martin's sub-forum, so thought I'd better check.....

Re: Taylor

No problem - just wanted to be sure that I shouldn't be searching St Martin's :)

I've moved the thread to the general Churches section and added to the title to show it is for St Phillip's.

Last edited:
Hi Carolina, I'm not sure I can help you with the information you are seeking but on seeing the name Abel Taylor in your post, I got rather excited !!
I have 3 Abels in my tree, father and son and grandson, all born in Birmingham.
You say that your Abel was born in 1809...there is an Abel born 6 Apr 1809...christened 4 Jan 1810 in the IGI to Thomas and Sarah Taylor, so possibly that is one father you are looking for.
My first Abel was born in 1825 to Thomas and Sophia Taylor and I'm thinking as the name doesnt appear to be very common in the area at the time and names were often carried on in families (as with my Abels) that maybe we might be related somehow..possibly your Abel and my Thomas were brothers ??... maybe one day we may find that out.. :)

I have just taken another look at the IGI for possible marriages of Thomas's to Sarah's and have seen 2 possibilities.
Thomas to Sarah Agnes or Angers (same date 2 records) 19 Jan 1801 Aston Juxta
and
Thomas to Sarah Stringer 24 Dec 1808 St Philips
Hope this may be of some help.

There are also 2 Ann Hall records, born Long Compton.
1st Ann 1780 no parents recorded
2nd Ann Christened 10 Nov 1789 to Robert and Elizabeth Hall who also had a daughter Hannah christened in 1790

Leslam, first of all thanks for moving to St Phillips.

Lindyloo, thanks also for your help. On the 1841 census Abel and Ann are down living at Lyndon End, Bickenhill as a malster. On 1851 census, Abel and Ann still living at Bickenhill as occupation was farmer. (My tree comes down from his son George) Ann Hall B1806 (and not 1906 as I typed) Long Compton. The probable parents to Abel would be Thomas and Sarah Stringer again married at St Phillips. You know there is possibility that Abel and Thomas were brothers, and from George's line I do have a Thomas B1828 in it. Abel and Anns other children are Henrietta, John, George, Maria and Mary. We must keep on trying to see if there is a connection because as you say Abel is not a popluar (not common!)lol name within the area. Kind regards Carol

Carol, marriage certificates were not issued until 1837 - before then marriages were just entered on the parish records.
I think these are available to view/copy at Birmingham library -and they may only contain the names of the bride and groom not the parents but another member (who is smarter than me) may be able to confirm this for you.
:peaceful:

Last edited:
I have been searching for a marriage record for James Norton and Elizabeth for some considerable time. Their eldest son George was born in 1822 and was baptised at St Philips.
I have established that it was unlikely they married there or St Martins. That leaves me with St Paul's, which I think is most likely or possibly St Mary Whittall St?

James was born in Tettenhall in 1799 but moved to Birmingham. He married Elizabeth, who was born in Birmingham and was probably slightly older, from certainly 1822 until they died in the 1860s they lived in St. George's District, on George's birth record 22/6/1822 James was noted as a Bricklayer of Walmer Lane, which was then the continuation of New Town Row. No trace of 1841 census but in 1851 they were in Hospital St & 1861 Brearley St

Can anyone help?
Clarkie

This not an answer to your query unfortunately but this information may be useful to you anyway. I have a photocopy of a baptism record from St Phillips which states - JULIA JANE, DAUGHTER OF JOHN AND LYDIA NORTON, BAPTISED
27 JUNE 1808.

Regards
Shirley

Hi Shirley,
Thanks for the information.
I do know that there were other members of the Norton family in Birmingham at the time but as yet I have not found any who were directly related.

Clarkie

I have been to the library this afternoon and have found the register entry:
Abel Taylor (bachelor) and Ann Hall (spinster) both "of this parish" married on 4 Sept 1826. Both signed the register with their name
Witnesses: Michael Broome and Ann Thurstant (??) [think I'm right with the "Thurst" bit, but the rest is illegible.
It's possible that Michael Broome is an official of the church (church warden or something) as he appears as a witness on another St Phillips entry in 1816 that I was looking at this afternoon - I don't believe in this sort of coincidence!

Leslam, I went onto Ancestry Co.uk looking for Michael Broome and found information on him under Churchs section. Although he lived in firstly Little Charles Street and then Woodcock Street and shown as working, he must have also be involved with the church and I would think probably the same as Ann Thurstant just church witnesses. Carol

Hi, I'm looking for child of Robert Allen and Emma Riley Salt, named Emma (?Edith), born 1856. All the other family data is associated with St Phillips, but I haven't found her, only in census. Family lived Edgbaston. Robert was a silversmith. Any lookup help much appreciated. Cheers, Gennie

George Thirlby (Thurlby) and Maria Dixon. Does anyone have access to the full record?

I've found them in 1841, HO107, Piece 1142, Book 4, Folio 23, Page 11, but not in 1851. There is a Death Q4 1841 which might relate to George but, in that case, what happened to Maria?

For Thomas Thirlby, b1827, I have the full record, but nothing for John, Henry, and Mary (Marey) (except perhaps a marriage in 1852), and there may also have been a George Thirlby born 23 Jul 1825 - something of a 'shotgun' wedding?

Thanks.
:untroubled:

Amend that. Just found a marriage for a Maria Thirlby, 1843, Brum 16, 291. I'll have to wade through that another time but, essentially looking for a Birth year of abt 1806.

I read the Thirlby-Dixon marriage as 28th February 1825?
There's a John Thirlby marriage 2nd July 1839 at St Martins.
Bride's name Mary Ratharam
Thomas Thirlby marriage 4th December 1843 at St Phillips.
Bride's name Emma Summers.
There's a Mary Thirlby marriage 12 Sep 1825 at St Phillips
groom John Edden

Deaths Sep 1854
Emily Thirlby Birmingham 6d 123

There is an Emma Allen registered in March quarter 1857. Ref Birmingham 6d 171. If Emma ws born at the end of 1856 it may be that her birth was registered in 1857. There isn't an entry for Edith Allen, I did a 10 year search for both names on Free BMD

Thank you Di. I do appreciate this help. At this point it is worth ordering the cert. She is very elusive this gt grandmother!
Cheers, Gennie

I read the Thirlby-Dixon marriage as 28th February 1825?

My mistake. Damn fungers! :unconscious:

Thanks for the additional information. Something to follow up.

What I was really hoping for was information regarding the Father's names, if they were entered in that period - unlikely, or witness names.

Again, thanks.

St Martins 2nd July 1839
John Thirlby, full age, bachelor, wheel wright, living Hurst Street. Father - Benjamin Thirlby, farmer
Mary Ratharam, full age, spinster, living could be - Measham??? . Father - Joseph Ratharam - cordwainer
John & Mary had signed own names. witnesses - Richard Thirlby & Elizabeth Buckley?

Not sure if this is connected to your people but also found this marriage at St Martins - 3rd August 1835
George Thirlby bachelor of this parish to Sarah Ann Clare? of the parish of Sutton Coldfield - married by license - both had signed.
witnesses - Sarah March? Joseph March? and William Smith.

Thanks for that. Probably not connected as the Father of my John was a Gun Finisher, George, and John was with his parents in 1841.

I'm still looking at the possibility of George dying in 1841 and Maria re-marrying in 1843. From FreeBMD, 16, 291
Hannah Birmingham 16291
DIXON
Thomas Birmingham 16291
DUFFIELD
John Birmingham 16291
Garman
Maria Birmingham 16291
Goodwin
Charles Birmingham 16291
SMITH
John Sabin Birmingham 16291
THIRLBY
Maria Birmingham 16291
TONKS
Emma Birmingham 16291

Trying to sort through those, I have found a Death for John Sabin Smith, Q3 1888, which gives me a Birth year of about 1816, and an 1851 entry, HO107, Piece 2061, Folio 324, Page 1, with a spouse of Emma, and an eldest child that would fit the marriage year, just about.

I now need to pair up another four to discount and explore what remains.

Found them on Family Search.

Charles Goodwin married Maria Thirlby, St Phillips, 30 Jan 1843. However, am now unable to locate them in any following census record therefore, without additional details from the Church record, I can't really pursue this any further.

I realise that St Philips records are not that easy to find but I wondered if anyone could add anything to the following:

Baptisms: BIRMINGHAM, ST. PHILIPS
[TABLE="width: 660"]
[TR]
[TD]Thomas Clarke - 10 Nov 1748
[/TD]
[TD]Father: John Clarke
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
OR
[TR]
[TD]Thomas Clark - 28 Dec 1750
[/TD]
[TD]Father: Edward Clark
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
OR
[TR]
[TD]Thomas Clark - 11 Apr 1752
[/TD]
[TD]Parents: John Clark & Nancy
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Regards

Clarkie

Would SKS with access to marriages at Saint Phillips please look up the following marriage details ?

Look Up Marriage Saint Phillips March Quarter 1841.

Groom: William Lee

Not sure if available for searching, but if SKS with access to these records I would greatly appreciate finding out further details
as to who William Lee married please, sadly the archives are now shut in Birmingham Library so I cannot search myself.

Kind regards.

Dibs.

Update: just found this marriage on the IGE, the date of marriage was 17th February 1841 and the bride Eliza Deathridge.

Would appreciate if at all possible please, grooms occupation and the occupation of bride & grooms fathers occupations.

Thank you kindly.

Back