• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peter's & St Paul's Church Kingsbury Road

J

johnboy

hello everyone . i'm new to the sight . i'm trying to find some information about the church my mum and dad were married in . st peters and st pauls i think was in erdington . i dont know the area as they married there and then came to live in grimsby after my dad left the forces . thay married in 1949 . if anyone can help i would be really gratefull .

Hi Johnboy,

I don't know if this is of any help but SS Peter and Pauls is a Catholic church and I think it's on Kingsbury Rd., in Erdington.

Kitty

Me again Johnboy,

If it is the Catholic church you're after then try www.birminghamdiocese.org.uk for contact details. Click onto Parishes and Clergy. You may have to go through the whole list as the search button isn't always that good, but the list does flash by quite quickly.

Good Luck

it is a catholic church and i'm sure my mum has said kingsbury road before . there is some doupt that the church is still there as someone in the familly said that it wasnt . would love to know . thanks .

Johnboy, there is definitely a church there and I'm assuming that it is the same building that was there when your parents got married.

Most suburban Catholic parishes were created during the interwar years as the city expanded and quite often, in the early day's, masses and other services were held in temporary buildings until the parishes could afford to build a permanant church. This is why so many of Birmingham's Catholic churches are relatively modern, having been constructed during the forties, fifties and even as late as the early sixties.

As I remember it, SS Peter and Paul fits this description, although it's been a long time since I was there. However, it is possible that your parents may have been married in a temporary church building, which would of course have been replaced. If they were married in the permanant church, then I can assure you it is still there. If you get in touch with the Parish Priest, he should be able to tell you when the church was built.

Hope some of that makes sense.

it does help and i will contact the parish priest to try and get some more information . thanks .

cant seem to get contact with the parish priest . still have no idea if the church is actually there or not . if anyone has any old or new photo's of it i would be really gratefull .

Is this any help --

St. Peter & Paul's Catholic Church

552, Kingsbury Rd, Erdington, Birmingham, West Midlands B24 9ND
Tel: 0121 373 1437

bren

Back