• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Pauls School, Balsall Heath.

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hi,

Can anybody tell me anything about St Pauls School, Vincent Street, Balsall Heath. It was still in use up to 1938 at least, but it was no longer there in the late 40's. I would be grateful for any information such as the date it closed and its location as this information may link with another enquiry I am making.

Cheers

pmc1947

St Paul's School

Hi PMC1947,

Suggest you contact the Basall Heath Local History Group. Since my Mom passed on in 2004, I have no contacts with the group. Try the Reference Library for a link???

Dave

Hi, Freddog_de,

Thank you for your interest and advice, but since I posted this I have found the information that I required and that was, the location. I found that it was bombed during the war and that shortly after the war they built Tamworth Grove on the site of the school. Now coupled with Lapworth Grove are the only original Part of Vincent Street Left.

pmc1947.

Hi, Freddog_de,

Thank you for your interest and advice, but since I posted this I have found the information that I required and that was, the location. I found that it was bombed during the war and that shortly after the war they built Tamworth Grove on the site of the school. Now coupled with Lapworth Grove are the only original Part of Vincent Street Left.

pmc1947.
hello - I realise this i an old thread but w understand our grandad William Booton was killed by the bomb that hit the school on 19th Nov 1940 checking it was clear - do you know any more?

Sorry BBoots, but I know remarkably little about this bomb/ bombs considering that I lived a few doors away from where this school stood. In fact I never heard it talked about in all the time I lived in Vincent Street. Of course by the time I was aware of my surroundings they had built maisonettes on two new Groves on the bomb sites. Here are a couple of photos of the day after the raid. You can just see what looks like the school over the roofline on one photo.

Balsall Heath Vincent St  1940.jpg

Balsall Heath Vincent Street.jpg

That's really helpful, thanks - My dad, who was only 14 at the time (he may even be on that photo!), had the awful task of going to identify his Dad. He is listed on the Tree of Life memorial. We were told he was an air raid warden - he was 54 and had been in the police. His wife was Mabel (Formerly Green) and they also lived close by.

Was she related to the Green's from Hampden Street or possibly related to the Greens who had the grocers next to the Crown on Wenman Street?

I will check with my cousin Pauline Green but they were shop keepers so would likely be the other. Her Mom (May and Wilfred green ) had a sweet shop on a street corner I just about remember - jars of sweets on shelves! - my dad was born on Sun Street

Back