• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Mary's Cof E School, Avenue Rd, Aston

Hi oldroddy yes Linda did have a brother called Robert.
Im sorry I dont recognise your name I was at St marys from 1957 to 1963 The head teacher was Mr Phillips who later became head of Kings Rise school in Kingstanding. I recall Mrs Bodger my first teacher Ms Boyd and Ms Honneysett. Mr Lane and Ms Harry two welsh teachers. I would love to see some pictures of the school ......
Hello Christine, I am Linda James' brother Robert. I think I was called Bobby at school, all the family did. Good to see you still going strong and a member of this fantastic website. I am now retired, can't believe it and I have fond memories of St Mary's. A lot of us kids used to play in the church yard at the back alongside the school entry. Happy days. I remember you quite well, as did most of us boys. I wonder why?
Take care and hope to hear from you again
Bobby James

Hello Christine, I am Linda James' brother Robert. I think I was called Bobby at school, all the family did. Good to see you still going strong and a member of this fantastic website. I am now retired, can't believe it and I have fond memories of St Mary's. A lot of us kids used to play in the church yard at the back alongside the school entry. Happy days. I remember you quite well, as did most of us boys. I wonder why?
Take care and hope to hear from you again
Bobby James

Hi bobby I remember you and your sister Linda very well. Not sure why the boys would remember me tho !! How is Linda what became of her ? Me your sister and Linda franklin used to get the bus to manor park after we left st Mary's happy memories !!

Hi Christine, I'm Don Clive.....Born & bred in Aston Brook Street (the 'lower' half....No29) attended St Mary's....1936 -1946 now live in Tamworth, aged 81! Can I be of help??? Don.
Hey Don, My grandmother Jean Evans attended St Marys around this time. She lived on Chester St. Do you remember a teacher called Mrs Kelly?

Centenary celebrations July 1967. Viv.View attachment 131091
Omg...What a fantastic picture.
I helped with the making of the model of the school.
Mr Topley taught me how to tell the time properly.
Mr Hilman...He got us building buses and aeroplanes in balsa Wood.
I was mesmerised by the aeroplanes and I can see them hanging up in the classroom.
I still build balsa aeroplanes and I managed to get a Private Pilot Licence.
I was heartbroken when the school closed down.
Thank you so much for posting this picture.

Welcome Joe. Glad you enjoyed the image. Certainly a lot going on in that classroom. Good to see teachers inspiring children in this way. It obviously inspired you. Viv.

Hi I am Christine Griffiths , my brothers Allan and Jimmy and sister Susan and I all went to St Marys we lived in Miller St at the back of Broadhurst the butchers. I also remeber Susan Lane she is now a headmistress of a school. David Rutherford was Christine Rutherfords brother. Linda Franklin also went to this school as did Philomena Flynn and Linda James.

Would be interesting to know who you are ??
Linda Franklin

Hi Linda Franklin feeling nostalgic after watching peaky blinders documentary wow Mrs bodger my 1st teacher wow I was so shocked to see my name in black and white I spent hours this afternoon trying to find this thread to reply to any way hope your well and catch up soon

See my post no.13,i remember most of the names you mention,yours and Susans too,did Linda James have a brother?,Robert perhaps.
My name is Roderick Kennedy,Happy Easter.
Hello Rod, I am Linda's brother Robert. I was always called Bobby James at school and I remember you too. I remember all those names mentioned, they were happy times back then as I remember. Hope you're keeping well Roderick. Must have liked school because I became a teacher in later life. If you're interested I am on Facebook and I've got my own Utube channel called 'Bob's Cycle Tours' where I post various bits of rubbish. Best wishes Bob James.

St Mary's School Aston from a newspaper report September 1953, I purchased this off ebay about 15 years ago, never got around to scanning it until today, I couldn't get the whole page on my scanner due to using my printer instead of my normal scanner.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
Hi Roderick, My name is David Holmes i was at the school the same time as you,i remember quite a few names, Robert Peacock,Robert James,jimmy and Billy Hallahan, Tony Chick, Alan Smith, Michael Broadmore, Stephen Eccles. John Hannah. Some of the girls i remember were Teresa Lyndon, Joan Powell.Susan Griffiths.
I have a picture somewhere of our cricket team. i will have to dig it out
Hi Dave , just seen this on friends of St marys many names u mentioned i recall , I would like to talk to you have some great memories together from school love to chat about the old times.

Back