• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Mark's Ladywood Lookups

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi everyone. ive just obtained a copy of my great great great grandfathers marriage certiificate. he married in 1862 at st marks church in the district of st mark birmingham. from what i can gather its in or about the ladywood area. ive checked my 1956 kellys(the only one i have got and its not listed there) i would imagine it was long since gone. would love to see a photo of it if anyone can help. heres hoping. many thanks. wales

Hi, is that the Marriage of Enos Wood/Mary Oakes.
I would be interested to know his details as I never did find him for you.
Alberta.

hi alberta. its the very same. heres a bit of info. enos wood age 19 married mary ann oakes 21 on 20th april 1862 st marks church. district of st mark. residence at the time nelson st west. i also obtained a copy of enos and mary anns youngest son. daniel william born 24th march 1865 in the district of all saints. address heath street. at this time enos was a blacksmith journeyman. still cannot find out when and were enos died. someone put on the site (it may have been you or it may not) that in 1871 mary recorded she was a widow. then in 1881 she was down as married then 1991 she was a widow again. at least i know now who enos,s father was but i would dearly love to know how he ended up. i still think he must have died between 1865 and 1871. ive checked but no luck. thanks ever so for your interest. i wont give up just yet but maybe i will never find out. best wishes wales

ps alberta. by my reckoning enos was born in 1843. checked the birth records for that year. no sign of him. wales

Wales :) Did "Enos Wood" sign his name on Marriage certificate or put X ?
Remember the majority of people in that time period could not write so the
"dialect" was used a lot,
The Vicar,s interpretation of how his name "sounded" is what would be written in,
Your "Enos" may have been "Aynos" or "Enoch" on a Birth Certificate,
Searches should be "wild carded" or Soundex when looking for him,,Ok.Cheers JohnY :cool:

hi john. he signed his name and its quite clearly enos. his wife mary ann put an x and so did mary anns mother who was a witness. just one thing you have bought to my mind. on enos.s youngest sons birth certificate its quite clear to read that enos is his dad but once again mary ann has put an x. would that mean that enos was not on the scene as there is no signature from him. just an idea. wales.

Hello Wales,
it would be most unusual for BOTH parents to sign a birth certificate. Usually only the parent who registered the birth would be named, apart from the name of mother & father in the correct boxes.
What an unusual name you are dealing with here....lucky you....I hope you find him ...
Margaret.

Hello Wales :) Sometimes when the Bride is older than the Groom,,,
The Groom adds a year or two & the Bride "drops " a year or Ten :rolleyes:

There is an Enos Wood born Ashby de la Zouche, Volume XV page 23, 1844 2nd Quarter
& a Enos Wood born in Halifax, volume XX11 page 233 3rd Quarter,
Could either be yours?, do you have him on a Census saying,,County born?
ps There are quite a few Enoch Wood,s born 1843/1844,
One born W,Brom XX111 p 562 3rd Qu 1843 &
One born Walsall XV11 p 262 2nd Qu 1844,, These are the Two closest to Brum.
Best regards JohnY :cool:

This may be the St. Mark's Church to which you refer. There are four St. Mark's listed. Two of them aren't old enough and one is in an area called Washwood Heath. This is probably the one you are looking for:

ST. MARK, Birmingham (King Edward's Rd.), a stone building in the Early English style designed by George Gilbert (afterwards Sir Gilbert) Scott and comprising chancel, nave, aisles and tower, was consecrated in 1841. (fn. 96) It was the second of the five churches built by the Birmingham Church Building Society. The church was restored in 1882 and the spire surmounting the tower was removed in 1890. (fn. 97) A parish was assigned out of St. Martin's, Birmingham, in 1843; (fn. 98) part was taken to form part of the parish of St. Peter, Birmingham (1902). The living, a perpetual curacy from 1843 and a vicarage from 1868, was in the gift of public trustees. (fn. 99) In 1947 the church was closed, and the benefice and parish united with those of St. Paul, Birmingham. (fn. 1) The Old School in King Edward's Road was licensed for mission services, 1908-14. (fn. 2)

A bit of a puzzle here Wales,I hope your Enos wasn't a naughty boy.

You do not say what his fathers name was but if it was Thomas here is something that may interest.
In 1851 in Darlaston was the Wood family
all children born in Leics villages except the last Daniel age 4 born Darlaston
Thomas age 47 b. Hever Derbyshire
Mary age 43 b/ Ashby
Thomas 20 b. Hugglestone
John 17 b. Hugglestone
William 13 b. Snibstone
Enoch 10 b. Snibstone
Enos 6 b. Whitwick
Daniel 4

I can't find 1861 for Enos BUT

1871 has Enos Wood ,age 30,UNMARRIED,B. Whitwick,a Blacksmith living
in Ripon, yorks.

He married Ann Fawcett in june 1873,Hull,9d 429

and in 1881 was living
5 Plane Street,Newington, Yorks
Enos Wood age 36 born Whitwick , Engine Smith
Ann age 33 b. louth
James O age 5 b. Hull
Edith age 3 b. Hull.

1891 Myton Yorks
Enos wood age 47 b. Whitwick Blacksmith
Ann age 42 b. Louth
James 15 blacksmiths helper
Edith 13
Alice 9
Florence 5

Enos is still in Myton a Blacksmith in 1901.

His son James O in 1881 I think was registered James Edward O in Bradford Sept 1875 ref. 9b 270.I would be interested in the O,was Enos trying to cling on to his former life ,was the O Oakes.

Last edited:
I have second thoughts about James Edward O.
I believe that Thomas Woods married a Mary Ore in Gilmorton.Leics about 1821(the entry is submitted so the dates are not that accurate)
Mary Ore baptised Gilmorton 1803,gilmorton is close to Ashby Parva and Ashby Magna so she may have meant one of those on the census.
Perhaps James had his grandmothers name included in his.

hi alberta. i have also found an enos in 1851. i think it must be him as i know for a fact his dad was a thomas wood. it looks like enos named his eldest son(thomas oakes wood) after his dad(and of course marys maiden name) and his yougest son (daniel william) after his 2 brothers. im not to sure about the other enos you have turned up. (although and it may just be a coninsidence) they were both born in whitwick. this is the problem. if the other enos was 30 in 1871 how can he be aged 36 ten years later in 1881. he would have been 40. the ages just dont tally up and dont forget mary ann keeps saying she is a widow not divorced. the only thing i can think of and this is quite mad is that enos left mary he went back to where he was born lied about his age and got married again without getting divored. the plot thickens. but i must say i realy do think that we have found our enos on the 1851 census. it all fits there. what do you think. thanks for all you help. wales

thanks john for your info. i am pretty sure we have found our enos now. as you may be reading hes on the 1851 census. trying to work out the other info alberta has turned up. at the moment the ages of enos does not tally. confused.com. wales

sorry alberta. i meant to say maybe enos legged it to hull. not back to where he was born. wales

I wouldn't worry too much about the age the only one that is a lot different is 1871 and he was a lodger.His landlady may have given details and said he's about 30.Often when the age is out on a census the people are lodgers who are not giving the info. in person.The next 2 ,81 and 91 are close to his birthdate.

Also I wouldn't put too much store by what status Mary gave the enumerator,we are still unsure what it says in 1871 ,perhaps it was better to be thought a widow than that your husband had gone off,1881 is correct she is legally married but by 1891 she must think she is a widow if she has not heard from him or thinks it better to be a widow than abandoned wife..

I have searched all the records that I can find and that I subscribe to and there is no death of Enos fitting the criteria and no 2 entries for Enos Wood born Leicestershire just the one in Whitwick.
His marriage certificate in 1873 would be interesting.

MARRIAGE Enos wood June 1873 Hull ref. 9d 429

Having been doing this genealogy stuff for many years I am convinced they are all the same person

alberta. just been studying all your info. although the 1871 census does not tie in with enos being 30.at that time. should have been about 26 as he was 6 in 1851. (maybe that was a error) the 1881 is spot on. he would have been 36 then. so if we have got the right enos and it seems likey he must like i said all along have left poor mary ann in the lurch with 2 small children. and maybe she didnt want to put herself down as divorced. thats why we keep seeing her as a widow. can i point out a coninsidence. on enos and mary anns youngest sons(daniel william)birth certificate enos's profession is down as (blacksmith journyman) and you have got him down as a blacksmith in 1871. with all this info do you think the two enos's are one and the same. thank you once again. wales. ps assuming we have the right enos mary ann is still saying she is a widow in 1891 and as you said he was still alive in 1901.

:)hi alberta. i know you are somewhat expert at this(this my first ever stab at tracing my family back in time.) but i do agree with you if only for the reason that enos was an unusual name. i always had this gut feeling that enos had left or divorced mary. is there anyway of checking this out. also you say he got married in hull. thanks for the ref number. i would like a copy so do i apply to the registry office there. so far i have had a great journey finding enos but would like to go a bit further if possable. my moms going to love the story of her gt gt grandad. thanks ever so much wales

You can apply for the certificate online(pay by card)
www.gro.org.uk

please let me know the outcome,it has been quite a while since a search has intrigued me so much.

I don't know how many working people people divorced in those days but ,I know many people lived together and many married bigamously.
I think that people thought that if they left a spouse and many years had passed they could just get married again.No showing your paperwork in those days and if you had travelled from the Midlands to Yorkshire in 1865-1871 who was likely to know that you had been married before.

Last edited:
once again i agree with you alberta. i think he remarried while still married to mary ann. i am so glad you have been interested in enos and found the time to help me. i will try and get his 2nd (NAUGHTY BOY) marriage certificate and see where that takes us. if i do find out any more i will be in touch straight away. many many thanks. wales (lyn):)ps not quite finished with him yet.

hi alberta and everyone who helped in my search for enos wood my gt gt grandad. alberta you were right. enos married mary ann oakes in 1862 birmingham. had two children b 1863 and 1865. id say sometime between 1865 and 1870 he left her and the kids and legged it to yorkshire and married ann fawcett and had another 4 children. ive got enos on the 1851/71/81/91 and 1901 census but try as i might i cant find him in 1861. in 1861 enos's mother and 2 of his brothers are still living in darlaston minus his dad and 3 other brothers. my guess is enos came to birmingam maybe with his dad or his brothers (the ones missing off the 61 census) seeking work. so i checked the 61 census to see where mary ann was the year before she married enos thinking he may have been a lodger. the address was the same as on their marriage cert but no sign of enos being a lodger there. i may try finding out where his brothers and dad was in 61. i am going to send off tomorrow for a copy of enos's certificate just to hopefully confirm his dads name and profession although they do match on his marriage cert to mary ann and the 51 census. with such an unusual name as enos im sure ive got it right. there were no other enos's born in this country in the 1840s to match. thank you all for your time help and advise. im still learning. wales:)

I can't get into Birmingham for another couple of months, so I would be very grateful if somebody would look up the details of the marriage of

Henry James Clark and Emma Clark married at St Marks, Birmingham on 12 June 1870 (IGI)

Many thanks

Hi

If you still require this information i hope to be going to the library during next week (week commencing 20th Dec). Let me know if you still require the look up!

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Very many thanks, but I was able to go in on Wednesday and get the information I required.

Have a good Christmas

Dave

Can anyone help with the marriage of a Joseph Goddard and Alice Jarvis at st marks 26th Sept 1909 Birmingham
Family search lists his father as Joseph but just wondering is this was a typo. Can anyone please confirm the parents names or other info please

Many thanks
Dean

There is a family tree on Ancestry which lists his father as John James Goddard, mother Emily sheppard.

hi there ;
you can rest assured that the goddards and the sheppards was a local family to st marks
they lived down the bottom end of st marks street and around the shakespear rd end and the sibbling was well known and very popular
with the other lads and girls ;i think our dear friend mossy may recall the sheppards as he was from that end ;
of the street and he lived in shakespear rd and was a long time friend of my close frinds whom also lived in shakespear rd the wahabs ;
and the cunninghams also my rele;the perks lived in shakespear rd ;
surely the central libary should have records of st marks after it was demolished as i recall the old church in my days ; it was later turned into a whole sale cash and carry for a number of years then it was caled decco cash and carry paint and wall paper cash and carry ;
best wishes astonian;;

Hi
I have grandparents who were married at St. Mark's church in the parish of St. Mark, Birmingham on August 3rd 1902. At the time of their marriage, they lived at number 6 Monument Road. Presumably this is the same church as mentioned in previous replies, but does anyone know exactly where it was and do any photographs of it exist.

Hi. I have just gone through this thread again. The St. Marks Church to which you refer is I believe in Ladywood. If you Google St. Marks Church Ladywood, there are some images of the church and the surrounding area.

Back