• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Chads Hospital, Hagley Road

may not be the same one but the only builders yard i can recall from around there was broughs...they were originally in farm st opposite the school and then moved to south road where i think they are still trading...

lyn

may not be the same one but the only builders yard i can recall from around there was broughs...they were originally in farm st opposite the school and then moved to south road where i think they are still trading...

lyn
I looked it up and your quite right they are indeed still trading, I get my company's mixed up with what they used to make/do. And Farm Street was spot on, are GP was there on the corner of Villa Street It was Broughs just as you said. I'm more interested in the houses that lay behind the
"The Hockley Bus Garage" I'd love to see pictures again, as nothing exits of Crescent Avenue.

hi kmacnab..i will do a search for you for crescent avenue but i know for sure that at the min i dont have any pics of it in my files...just in case you are interested my nan lived next door to the surgery you mentioned and thats one pic that evades me so far..i have posted pics of the the other three corners of villa st/farm st on the forum...they being the hockley provident dispensary..the white swan pub and on the other corner farm st school...

lyn

Last edited:
If I'm mistaken please correct me, I do remember the builders yard although the name escapes me. Where they put a subway on both sides of
Hockley Flyover, on the side coming out of the City Centre down Hockley Hill and onto the brook. On the out bound exit to Soho Road from the triple junction to "The Crescent" on your left, South Road in the Middle and Claremount Road to the right. Stood a large second hand dealers, on the opposite side of the:) crossings was "The Palladium Cinema" I got bit by a Friends puppy on the crossing, good job it was a Friend as my leg swelled up like a balloon. Tetanus injection.

Elvins had a large yard by the Palladium Cinema for a number of years. Dek

Excuse me asking, being new here I have no idea how to navigate so could you please direct me to those photos you mentioned Thank-You.

Click back to the search index you will see a staple symbol click on it an infantry of the photos will appear. Dek

Thank you yes of course it was Elvins, do you remember also the Second Hand Dealer on the opposite side of the Crossing. That took up the whole corner, years they differ with my memory's, but I worked in a Cardboard Box Factory in the 70s. On the Corner where all the buses used to stop for Hamstead and West Bromwich Ect. It had a different name of course during the 60s and the Second Hand Corner had Houses as far as I remember. I have a memory of pub being on the Brook with some very old buildings probably Georgian/Victorian. Not good with time periods then I was only 6 in 1960.

Sorry Kmacnab i was not from that area although quite a lot still stick in my memory from passing through on my journeyman travels as an electrician our offices were in Barr St.Dek

hi kmacnab...to see the pics i mentioned type in farm st in the search box top right of the page...go to page 5 and click on the farm st thread started by wendy...all the pics are there...

hope this helps...

lyn

My daughter was born there at 9,30 pm onthe 6th march 1975
and we lived around the corner from it on monument rd at cawdor crescent
and beside plough and harow rd edgebaston
and it closed down between 1981and 83 layed empty for years and then it became a big fancy office block astonian;;;

Small world Astonian, I lived in Balfour House for some years.

My dad had his Varicose veins sorted at St Chad's around 1967.

Looking at St Chads recently on Google. it looks as though it is still a NHS hospital. It was built in 1915 and was originally the Edgbaston Nursing home. My son was born in that hospital.

hi richard
i thought you may be intrested to know that balfour house and the surrounding of those other blocks and cawdor crescent have long gone as well in the last 12 months the total area is completely flattened ;
take care best wishes astonian
ps; my mom lived at number 16 balfour ;

Looking at St Chads recently on Google. it looks as though it is still a NHS hospital. It was built in 1915 and was originally the Edgbaston Nursing home. My son was born in that hospital.

Hi Maggs it still belongs to the NHS but I believe it is now offices only Dek

hi richard
i thought you may be intrested to know that balfour house and the surrounding of those other blocks and cawdor crescent have long gone as well in the last 12 months the total area is completely flattened ;
take care best wishes astonian
ps; my mom lived at number 16 balfour ;

A friend in brum told me of the demolition. Knocking down is all well and good but what is being built to replace the housing now gone? The three blocks including Balfour had three hundred homes; they were (back in the 60's) really nice flats. Just had a look at the area via Google Earth, the flats in Huntly road are still there. Went up Monument road, the Ivy Bush is still going (worked there for a bit when I was a lad) and the Lychee Garden is still trading, they used to do good food; a group of us used the place a lot and one mate did not like 'foreign' food and stuck with the 'He Man Grill'. Mount Pleasant WMC seems to still be going too.

PS I lived at No6.

Last edited:
This is St Chads today taken from Google Street View. Because trees have grown up in front of the old hospital I could not get a better pic. The nearest building was built after the hospital closed but you can see the old hospital building behind.
View attachment 71118

Hi Astoness.. sorry to bother you but I have just done a search on St Chad's Hospital as I've recently come across this building and was curious to find out more of it's history. I noticed that you put some photos on this site but am not able to open them. I wondered if you would be kind enough to send me these so I can have a look.

Kind Regards

Mandy

Thanks. No I'm not able to find them. They have been saved some how as thumbnails which I'm not able to open. So any help would be much appreciated.

Here are the ones I saved

St_chads_hospital_Casual2520Wards.jpg

St_chads_hospital_Main2520Range252C2520Centre.jpg

St_chads_hospital_Main2520Range2520W2520End.jpg

St_chads_hospital_N2520Range2520facing2520W.jpg

The last photo shows the main building which now looks much smarter since it was done up and is flanked by new buildings each side in a matching style. Now used as NHS offices.

thanks for reposting those pics mike i think they were the ones i put one and i cant find them now...

cheers

lyn

I remember ST Chads very well, my Mom told me once I am sure that the "Nuns", started the hospital originally, and is once private, and was taken over by NHS in 1949?. Paul

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]H[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]i[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]P[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]aul[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]yesthere was loads of stor[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]ie[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]son here some many years ago along with alot of diffferent picturesand the stor[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]ie[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]sbehind it we lived around the corner from there in 1975 and mydaughter was born there as well it was a very nicehospital [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]unfortunately[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]some people or persons unknown hacked the forum and e[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]v[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]erythink was lost [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]bestwishes [/FONT]

A[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]stonian[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back