• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springfield cinema/ballroom/social club

Neil C

Hi there, first time post so I hope I am in the right section.

I've searched quite a while for info on the Springfield Ballroom. As far as I understand it was above the cinema at (911/912 Stratford Rd). I have also read of the Springfield Social Club which at first I thought was in the same building but now I believe may have been next door (?) at 226 Solihull Rd -now Grand Occasions banqueting centre.

Can anyone help or indeed if you have any memories of these places I'd love to hear those.

Many Thanks

Neil, I spent many happy evenings at the Springfield Ballroom during the late 50's. It was above the Conservative Club which, in turn, was next to the Springfield Cinema. It was small and intimate with a great band led by Basil Stutely with George Baker, Brian (forget his surname) Pete Essex, Ken Hickie, John Bishop and Bill Fletcher on piano. It was friendly and everybody got to know everyone else because it was a smallish ballroom. Wonderful times! I would also love to hear from anyone who has memories of the Springfield. Don't know of the Springfield Social Club. If I can help in any other way, please ask. Regards, Jay

Would this be the Springfield you Mention, Stratford Road - Solihull Road ?

Attachments

• The Springfield Picture Playhouse Stratford Road - Solihull Road..jpg
    The Springfield Picture Playhouse Stratford Road - Solihull Road..jpg
    117 KB · Views: 28
I lived behind the Springfield Cinema at 215 Knowle Road from 1943 to 1950 and during the war years the Ministry of Food commandeered the cinema, stripped out the seats, and used the building to store sugar. Of course, from time to time the place was broken into and the locals used to help themselves! At the end of the war, the sugar was removed and whenever the locks were damaged us kids used the place as an unofficial roller skating rink until the building was secured again. It did reopen as a cinema for a few years, but not until after we had moved to Kings Heath. The Cinema was originally opened in 1914, though I have been unable to ascertain anything about the opening "All In Vain". It is not listed on the Internet Movie Database and is unlikely to be a stage production as the stage was only 6 feet deep!

The houses behind the Ballroom,numbers 217 to 225 were demolished by a bomb and the site became our unofficial playground! During my tenure there the band was Henry Goodall. It was a bebop style band and my mother hated them because they had the windows open until 11:00pm and it was a fairly noisy band!

Pictures of the bomb damage are on another thread on this site - try searching on "Knowle Road". All the houses have since been replaced in a similar style - see Google Street View.

Maurice

Hi All, thanks for the great replies. Both the cinema and ballroom sound like really fantastic places.

Jay, sounds like you had some wonderfull times at the Springfield, so much better than many of my nights out in Birminghams night clubs of the 80s. I'm beginning to think that the conservative club, social club and ex military club were all at one time or another in the same location at 226 Solihull Road, below the ballroom. But I'd be happy to be corrected. You probably already know but the building is now a banqueting venue. There's a nice short history piece on their website https://www.grandoccasionsonline.com/#!about/c10fk and also on the contact pagea great picture of the renovated entrance.

Kopite, yes that is indeed the cinema, corner of Stratford Rd-Solihull Rd, the ballroom would be just of picture to the left. Would be great if anyone had any pictures of the ballroom, interior or exterior.

Maurice, wonderful vivid and fun memories of what must have been challenging times occasionally. Yes, I've seen that amazing bomb damage picture on this site, what a lucky escape number 215 had. I have been helping a little on the
myroute.org.uk project about the history of Stratford Road. We have found plenty of stories about the fantastic cinemas in the area, but I think an unofficial pop up roller rink is one of the best! Sorry I can't help on the opening film. Did you know the archive section in City of Birmingham library has a reference books with itemised newspaper clippings of Birminghams cinemas. I didn't go back as far 1914, but it may well be a place to find some info on the opening film.

Love to hear of any more memories anyone has.

Neil,

Glad to hear that you've already dug out some additional information on other threads. I often wonder whether that the Cox's Orange Pippin apple tree is still standing in the back garden of number 215 Knowle Road that my father planted whilst we lived there. It was certainly fruiting quite well before we left. I'm also pleased to see the website and that so many people have taken an interest in charting the history of the area. I had a very happy childhood there.

Maurice

Back