• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spring Hill Ice Rink

Came on looking for references to the old rink.

Last night I went skating for the first time in about 30 years. At nearly 64 I was very cautious and pretty useless. But then I'm thinking about the old days.

I started going to Spring Hill in about 1962, survived with awful hire boots for the first year or so, then bought the boots I wore last night. Fagan Pathfinder & CCM hockey boots, cost £10. My pride & joy :-).

Well last night both the boots and yours truly showed their age. The boots were almost useless and I was yearning to try the oh so much better hire skates that my daughter was wearing, next time I will. I have to get rid of the old classics now I think.

The good thing is that despite it being a quiet night at Solihull rink, the atmosphere was very much the same as in the old days at Spring Hill, the same sort of characters, the same split of capabilities, and the same fun and camaraderie. Really enjoyed being there, despite being a little long in the tooth.

Old Spring Hill was the place though, that and the rink in Nottingham which was very similar. Superb size and just great atmosphere. One of my memories is of the original Coca Cola machine when it was first installed. Glass bottles were dispensed. The game was to get one, take a few thirst quenching slugs then to go on the ice or around the perimeter shaking the bottle and squirting it at your mates or unsuspecting girls you fancied. Health and safety would have us hung drawn a quartered for that these days.

Oh, happy times.

hi Lewis
Click on the pic below and see those happy times...
oldmohawk

p
s. did you take any photos when you skated in the 60's ?

Hi Stephen - Yes we cling to happy youthful memories. Spring Hill was a somewhat shabby old rink but we didn't notice.
oldmohawk...:peaceful:

Sorry OldMo, I wish I had, but didn't. Some great pics in your set, thanks for that.

You know I thought what you call shabby is what made spring Hill for me. I remember going to Silver Blades when it was new, and hated it. The Nottingham Rink was very much like Spring Hill and was so full of life. But I guess you will know that one too.

Do you still skate?

Do you still skate?
No even though my old skates are still up in the loft.
One of our members 'The Baron' Keith recently skated in his back garden when he flooded his back lawn which froze during the winter of 2010 see his video in #297 in the other thread here and #371 here
I skated and raced at Silver Blades many times but never really took to it and preferred Solihull Ice Rink. I always liked Nottingham Rink.

oldmohawk

Back