• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Speed skating

Jehu

proper brummie kid
My name is Richard Downing and I races for the Birmingham Mohawk from 1961 to 1965 and worked for Crockett and Lowe 1960 to 1966 making wood and metal patterns for the car industry.

My name is Richard Downing and I races for the Birmingham Mohawk from 1961 to 1965 and worked for Crockett and Lowe 1960 to 1966 making wood and metal patterns for the car industry.
Welcome to the forum .... have a look in the threads below ... there are speed skating photos in them ...:)

Well Ladywoodite that name does sound familiar, but I would need a photo to be sure, as that was about 60 years ago !!
A person who I raced with ( old mohawk ) "Phil" put up some fantastic threads you should look at his pictures especially club photos and see if can spot him. All the very best.

That's who I thought it was to well done putting up the photo, and sorry he passed away.
But now you have raised another question, Phil "old Mohawk" do you remember the older man standing in front of the door, he and his friend (not in the picture) who was the world 10000 meter roller skating champion at the time. they both trained with us, but the friend took me out on the road some where in Birmingham and lent me his racing roller skates, that was amazing, he drove me down to the Richmond rink one time in his Audi, that was the first time I ever went over 100 mph.

I don't immediately recognise him but is that you on the right (one from the end) in the second row ?

Yes that is me and the one next to me on the end of the row is Colin Smith, and just behind me on the end of the third row is Brian and Eric Grinsell's (Spelling may be wrong) younger brother Bobby.
Thanks for the instructions on adding photos, I will see what can be done in the next couple of days.
I have my laptop set to UK weather, it says the Isle of Wright have winds over 120 mph !!!!!!
Keep safe Richard

Good day Phil
I will talk later all the best.

Attachments

• Pic 7.PNG
    Pic 7.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • Pic 6.PNG
    Pic 6.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • Pic 5.PNG
    Pic 5.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • Pic 4.PNG
    Pic 4.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • Pic 3.PNG
    Pic 3.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Pic 2.PNG
    Pic 2.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Pic 1.PNG
    Pic 1.PNG
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 19
Good day Phil
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but we just had 2 blizzards in 3 days.
The three pictures inside are at Nottingham's rink under the stands, and the picture in a starting position has Brian Grinsell with the starting pistol was just for the front of some Silver blades literature.
I see on UK weather you had an earthquake in Birmingham yesterday! what's going on?
All the best and keep safe.

Back