• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sow and Pigs Public House - West Bromwich

F

FattusMannus

Not entirely sure if this forum covers West Bromwich too, but does anyone have any info on the Sow and Pigs Public House?

My Family are listed on a census there in 1861 - not sure if they were actually publicans or just lived there?

Hitchmough's Black country pubs is normally quite good, but they seem to have a blank here, listing John Collins in 1845 and Joseph Thornett leaving in 1872.
however Harrisons 1861 directory lists Samuel Hall as landlord
Mike

Thanks Mike,

Are there any other details re: Samuel Hall or even when he started/finished?

Thanks
Andrew

No afraid not Andrew. I've reasonable coverage of birmingham directories, but that is the only one i have around that time for Staffs. It would be sometime between the dates that Hitchmough gives (1845 and 1872), and that's not much help.
Mike

The Sow and Pigs - would this be the pub just off HillTop, on the way towards Carters Green???

Yes, that's the pub! I was once infatuated with the daughter of the publican :hoteyes: Circa 1957-1967 (it was a long, and fruitless, infatuation!) :( .....the publican's surname was Horseley (or some similar spelling).

Back