• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

South Yardley, Broadstone Rd (originally Pool Lane)

Robb

Hello, im looking for any information regarding the cottages that stood in Pool Lane prior to their demolition in 1939 when Broadstone Rd was built. I believe No. 1 Pool Lane was a Farm house called Ivydale which is labelled on old maps of Yardley.
I would love to see a picture if anyone has one.
Best regards Rob

Screenshot (82).png
Not a photograph, but I have tried to overlay 1900 map with 2000 map. Ivydale more on Meadway/Queen's Rd junction. Knew Broadstone Rd from "1950ish", occasional paperboy at Job's newsagents. Never before thought as to where Pool Way shopping centre got it's name. thanks for that.

Hi Devonjim
generally the old english word for road was weg;; meaning way, asin Holloway head, victor skip has resued for us two
Anglow- Saxon ways in yardley border
The first was Dargardingweg on the sheldon and yardley border,
It can e followed still as a patheway across Kent,s Moat park, before becoming POOLWAY and then Broadstone road
The second was Leommanninegwegg which skipp feels may be what is now of Stratford road
The term path was used for unmade roads that went across open country,
whilst in moderen times, a lane raises up visions of rural settings
how ever in earlier periods it was often used for narrow stret in a town
Astonian,,,,

Some aerial views of the area then and now.
Aerial view c1946 with Lea Hill Station on the left, The Lea in the the centre, and part of Broadstone Rd to the right.
All_LeaHall1946.jpg

Similar aerial view c2016 from iPad.
The_Lea_2016.jpg

Hello, im looking for any information regarding the cottages that stood in Pool Lane prior to their demolition in 1939 when Broadstone Rd was built. I believe No. 1 Pool Lane was a Farm house called Ivydale which is labelled on old maps of Yardley.
I would love to see a picture if anyone has one.
Best regards Rob

hi rob i dont know if this map site is of any use to you...i use it a lot as you travel all over the place seeing what is there now..i have left it showing ivydale all you have to do to see what is now on that ground is move the blue dot bottom left of the page and the old map will fade and what is there now will appear

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4775&lon=-1.7966&layers=176&b=6

Gosh, took me a while to get my bearings! Lived in this area some twenty years. Your two attachments were a few years before my time and then some fifty years afterwards.
Looked up the 1946 aerial shot, located where I lived (by the end of 1948) by then a massive housing estate, but in 1946 looked like the remains of an army camp, certainly lines of what look like nissan huts. Top right of the picture if you zoom right in. Any one know their history? Garretts Green tech came and went in the years between your two pictures! If you have access to the 1946 aerial shot I've flagged Hadland Rd.

Last edited:
They certainly look like Nissen Huts but the layout is not exactly neat !
Could it be a POW camp ?
There were quite a few POW camps in the Birmingham area.
Nissan Huts.jpg

Last edited:
I remember my late brother in law who had lived in Lea Hall saying that there had been an army camp during the war years in that vicinity. Maybe anti aircraft or barrage balloon, but only guessing.

For once I am certain! My family moved into a newly built house in Hadland Rd. on December 4th. 1948. Builders were still in evidence around the estate at that time. The school, Blakenhale Juniors, at the end of the road, was not built for some time after, I think I started going there in September 1950(maybe Sept 1949) and even then parts of the school were unfinished. The junior school hall wasn't used until Sept 1951.

Last edited:
It look's that way! I notice the person who wrote about the army camp back in 2011,Eddie14, is still posting. I wonder if your aerial view could prompt more memories?

Right, I have left my sick bed to put many stories right.
Just before the last war,1934 to be exact, my grandfather bought 5 new houses in Cooks lane just up from the White Heart where there were two farms on that corner of Cooks lane and Tilecross lane, to get there we used to leave Patrick Rd Yardley and walk down to the bottom of Cockshut Hill across Sheldon Heath lane and carry on to where the Remploy was. That was a farm before the war, down the side of the farm yard and across the field to the railway lines where there was a gate which got locked from Marston Green Station when a train was coming. Into Mackadown lane then on to Tilegross lane and up to Cooks Lane.
this became a regular jaunt for me and Gramp all through the war as well. Us kids used to stay over there at week ends as Yardley was getting bombed.
Now coming to the barracks alongside Garretts Green lane, it was not a army camp as such, there were anti aircraft guns situated on the area so there were only a small detachment of soldiers on camp living in the huts who manned the guns. As the war went on we were still walking to Cooks Lane because there was no other way to get there, Gramp's car was laid up so it was walk. Then we noticed the camp was changing, there were Mobile rocket firing salvo tubes mounted on very heavy army trucks coming onto the site and we knew when they were fired, the noise was a whoosh 16 time as the whole lot were fired, the first night they let rip they downed a twin engine German Bomber. you did not hear an explosion as you did from a gun just a very loud whoosh, a lot of people did not know where the noise was coming from.
I recognised what they were from pictures, that camp? was there well into the latter part of the war, then the developers got in and it is nothing like it was 75 years a go, when I think back I could stand on the top of Garretts Greenhill and see Coleshill way over the fields which seen to go on for ever.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Dave, great story and clears up the 'mystery' we have been puzzling over.
oldmohawk

I mentioned about a gate at the bottom of the field where Gramp and I used to cross at the back of the farm, I have just been going over the area on Google earth and I notice that there is a path at the side of Tarmac which goes down to the railway and there are three sets of steps up then over the railway and eventually lead out onto Mackadown lane. That was the original route we used to take, I suppose as the speed of trains increased, a gate was leading to disaster, so a foot bridge was built over the rails.

Dave

That was a fair old walk from Patrick Rd out to the White Hart! We used to spend hours playing in the fields between Garretts Green Lane and the railway and I must confess walking on the railway tracks via that gate you mention, at least the trains were very noisy in 1950's so you had time to scarper out of the way. There used to be a steam driven threshing machine at the farm near the bridge where the railway crossed Mackadown Lane and grass snakes could be found on the steep bank above The Radleys.

Phil, I have something for you, about the camp in garrets green lane I have spent a long time searching to try and get info that would put your mind at rest,
Go onto gun sites Yardley and then pick up post No 58, leslieG has posted about someone who worked on the 16 tube rocket firing tubes during the war, the answer is there.
devonjim you will be interested as well
Dave

Has anybody realised that are about three thread going at the same time concerning the gun sites, garrets green and the Poole way, all have similar interests. I am jumping from one to another to get info.
Dave

hi rob i dont know if this map site is of any use to you...i use it a lot as you travel all over the place seeing what is there now..i have left it showing ivydale all you have to do to see what is now on that ground is move the blue dot bottom left of the page and the old map will fade and what is there now will appear

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4775&lon=-1.7966&layers=176&b=6
Interesting that the word MOAT is on that map. I lived on Moat lane the first 23 years of my life

Right, I have left my sick bed to put many stories right.
Just before the last war,1934 to be exact, my grandfather bought 5 new houses in Cooks lane just up from the White Heart where there were two farms on that corner of Cooks lane and Tilecross lane, to get there we used to leave Patrick Rd Yardley and walk down to the bottom of Cockshut Hill across Sheldon Heath lane and carry on to where the Remploy was. That was a farm before the war, down the side of the farm yard and across the field to the railway lines where there was a gate which got locked from Marston Green Station when a train was coming. Into Mackadown lane then on to Tilegross lane and up to Cooks Lane.
this became a regular jaunt for me and Gramp all through the war as well. Us kids used to stay over there at week ends as Yardley was getting bombed.
Now coming to the barracks alongside Garretts Green lane, it was not a army camp as such, there were anti aircraft guns situated on the area so there were only a small detachment of soldiers on camp living in the huts who manned the guns. As the war went on we were still walking to Cooks Lane because there was no other way to get there, Gramp's car was laid up so it was walk. Then we noticed the camp was changing, there were Mobile rocket firing salvo tubes mounted on very heavy army trucks coming onto the site and we knew when they were fired, the noise was a whoosh 16 time as the whole lot were fired, the first night they let rip they downed a twin engine German Bomber. you did not hear an explosion as you did from a gun just a very loud whoosh, a lot of people did not know where the noise was coming from.
I recognised what they were from pictures, that camp? was there well into the latter part of the war, then the developers got in and it is nothing like it was 75 years a go, when I think back I could stand on the top of Garretts Greenhill and see Coleshill way over the fields which seen to go on for ever.
Dave. You have an amazing memory. Hope you are doing OK as well as can be expected. John

Hi
I have been investigating on Ancestry.com and I have a family Great Great Uncle living at "Ivydale" on the 1911 Census, named William Starkey. I think it must be the Farm house but if anyone has any information on him or the Farm house, please let me know.

Hi
I have been investigating on Ancestry.com and I have a family Great Great Uncle living at "Ivydale" on the 1911 Census, named William Starkey. I think it must be the Farm house but if anyone has any information on him or the Farm house, please let me know.
There is a map here with Ivydale marked

I lived in this area in 1940's. Even then Ivydale had been demolished. It had been on the area of Queens Rd, Broadstone Rd and Meadway.

Back