• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

South View, Aston

bestcover

proper brummie kid
Trying to identify where South View, Vicarage Rd, Aston would have been. Dad born there 1929 and trying to work out which school he would have gone to. Between 1935 and 1939, they moved to Audley Rd and looking for school records there too
Thanks

There's a map on that thread extracted below and originally posted by Mikejee. It shows South View - my blue mark, see below. South View was near the junction with Victoria Road.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240630_152233_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240630_152233_Samsung Internet.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 12
This must have been the nearest school. Extract from British History Online.

MANOR PARK COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Aston. Vicarage Rd. Bd. Sch. opened 1878 by Aston Sch. Bd. Accom. 720 G, I. Fees 1d.–3d. New I dept., accom. 510, opened 1880 and old one used for B. Enlarged 1881. New JM dept. in separate block opened 1894, accom. 311. Enlarged 1920. Former Alfred St. Bd. Sch., q.v., repaired and used 1922–32 for part of I dept. Altered and reorganized 1930 for SG, JM, I. Senior dept. became a separate sch. 1945 Accom. provided 1952 for 4 classes in Lichfield Rd. Methodist Church, and for a further class 1954. Former Alfred St. Bd. Sch. repaired and used for 3 classes from 1954. Name changed 1954. Accom. 1961: 10 classrooms, 2 halls

I think these terraced houses (my blue mark) are South View.. Photo posted by Astoness on the Vicarage Road thread.

View attachment 192787
Source: post #120 BHF thread: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/threads/vicarage-road.892/page-4
That's brilliant, thank you. I have blown the picture up and the words "south view" can be seen on the white plaque. Would these be back to backs with the 4 windows facing Vicarage Rd being 2 houses as otherwise these are very substantial properties

Yes you are there seeing the side of a row of back to backs, with the dividing wall between the two windows
So as the other side from where we are looking was not South View, is it likely that the 2nd house in (to the right of the plaque) was no.2 or wasnt numbering as simple as that? If it was, that was the house where my dad lived from 1929 to at least 1935.

bestcover, I was born in 1930 in Queens Rd (bottom of Vicarage Rd) and I went to the infants in Vicarage Rd, I think it was called Aston Manor Park in 1935 probably there with your Dad. (celebrated my 94th birthday last Friday !) Eric
Happy Birthday Eric!
Dad (Ken or Kenny) Knight) is sadly no longer with us but Mom was also 94 on Saturday!

Back