• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Somme Grave/Memorial Pictures

Terry,what a lovely thing to do for other forum members.

I have visited all of the places on the photographs.Extremely sobering and humbling isn't it.

Here here Alf. Terry has been so kind to many on here including me by taking photo's of memorials at the Somme. He has a great article in this months Bummagem about street war memorials. thanks Terry

Are you sure? I have written nothing for the magazine for a long time.

Terry

Photos taken on Saturday 1 November, 2008. Private GEORGE MINCHIN, KIA 03/09/1916. 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. I have put a white pointer onto first picture to show which panel his name appears. The third photo has a black line where his name is engraved.

regards

Terry

Hello Terry you are such a star to help people the way you do. I love the pictures of the Theipval Memorial I remember the first time I saw it looming up between the trees. It is truly magnificent!
I think the article in Brummagem was done by Carl with your information He also mentions a book called Birmingham Pals is this yours? and is it still available. The article is on page 9 of November's issue here's a link.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19760

Yes, the book Birmingham Pals is my work and yes again it is still available. I would say Amazon.co.uk is the most economical way to get one or the Local Library.

Regards

Terry

Thank you SO MUCH for the photos of George Minchin's name on the Theipval Memorial, I really do appreciate you taking the time to do this for me. It really means a lot....

Regards,
Margaret.

I would like to share a few images of my own from the my trip to the Somme last weekend.

The first two are taken at Etaples Military Cemetery. The grave of my Great Uncle Charles Witsey, of Talfourd St, Small Heath, who died of wounds received on the Somme.

Pte Arthur G Earp who served with the Birmingham Territorials, the 1/5th Royal Warwicks. His brother lived in Friston Street, Ladywood. Arthur was Shot at Dawn for quitting his post. Buried in Bouzincourt Communal Cem. Ext.

The grave of Joseph Standing Buffalo who was the grandson of Chief Sitting Bull who was famous for the defeat of General Custer at the battle of the Little Big Horn. He is buried in Buquoy Road Cemetery, near Arras.

Yes, the book Birmingham Pals is my work and yes again it is still available. I would say Amazon.co.uk is the most economical way to get one or the Local Library.

Regards

Terry
Thanks Terry I will have a look at Amazon. Wendy.

That's so sad to read about Pte Arthur G Earp; also your Great Uncle Charles dying of his wounds. I saw the "My Family at War" program on BBC last night and the same thing happened to Eammon Holmes great uncle :(

I'm amazed to see Joseph Standing Buffalo here too!

Thanks for letting us see your photos Terry.

Wendy

Terry. What can I say, other than thank you very much, you are an absolute star. Thank you mate.

Barrie.

My great uncle Thomas Haylor is buried at Niederzwehren cemetery in Germany, he was only17 when he died on 2nd. August 1916, and I think he fought at the Somme, was injured there and taken prisoner by the Germans and transported back to Germany, is there a way I can find out exactly where he was injured, and where he died?. He was in the 1st./6th Bn.Warwicks No/ 4509. he joined up after hearing his brother had been killed close to Yrpres in 1915, and I presume lied about his age, he lived in Lily Rd. Yardley.

Hello Wendy. Thanks for your reply, I have been on thr CWGC site and have the details of where he is buried and the date he died, I would now like to find out where he was taken prisoner of war, and where he died and what of. but dont know how to go about finding that out. John 70.

His name appeared in the casualty list published in the B'ham Daily Post in August, 1916, as missing., Thus, I would say he was definately wounded in the attack on the 1st July, 1916, at the Heidenkopf Redoubt, and died of wounds as a POW.

Regards

Terry

Thankyou Terry for your information, I respect what you say with your knowledge of WW1. His elder brother died at Hooge in June 1915 and that by all accounts made him join up allthough he was only 17 when he died. Thanks again. John70

I feel privileged to have read the comments and personal remembrances on this thread. My great grandfather died at Ypres in 1915 and is buried at Chesters Farm cemetery. I teach English, with History as a second subject, and I hope you will be heartened to know, if you don't already, that the historical events and literature of WWI is not only taught but has a great impact on teenagers in our schools today. As for those who go on school trips to the battlefields - and many do - it affects them profoundly and stays with them...

Hi all, I agree with the above - many young people are interested in WW1 - my grandson who's only 9 has been interested for a couple of years and can't wait to do it as a topic at school.
Sheri

Researching - Blackham, Hayward,Bray, Nabbs,Taylor (B'ham),Shipley,Johnson

I feel privileged to have read the comments and personal remembrances on this thread. My great grandfather died at Ypres in 1915 and is buried at Chesters Farm cemetery. I teach English, with History as a second subject, and I hope you will be heartened to know, if you don't already, that the historical events and literature of WWI is not only taught but has a great impact on teenagers in our schools today. As for those who go on school trips to the battlefields - and many do - it affects them profoundly and stays with them...
I am very pleased to hear that, as you say, visiting the battlefields, and seeing all the wonderfully kept cemeterys there does have a very profound effect on you.

Hello John70

I have posted the extracts from the Birmingham Weekly Post to confirm that Private Thomas Haylor was taken a prisoner by the Germans on 1 July, 1916, during the attack upon the Heidenkopf Redoubt.

the first snippet of info was published on 2 September 1916. The second piece was published on 16 September, 1916. Its very sad to think that when the first bit of info regarding him being a POW was published, he had already died.

Terry

Hello John70

I have posted the extracts from the Birmingham Weekly Post to confirm that Private Thomas Haylor was taken a prisoner by the Germans on 1 July, 1916, during the attack upon the Heidenkopf Redoubt.

the first snippet of info was published on 2 September 1916. The second piece was published on 16 September, 1916. Its very sad to think that when the first bit of info regarding him being a POW was published, he had already died.

Terry
Thankyou so much Terry for this information, I had never seen a photo of Thomas before, and did not know where he went to in Germany after he was captured, very gratefull to you. Regards. John70.

Back