• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Foundry

smashing pic of foundry lane cottages bernie...i am taking it that they are no longer there even though they hardly look as though they are falling down....

lyn

HI JFC
I Also worked at averys in the sixties i was in the electro plating deparment and i also worked in the painting of the jockey scales
that was thanks to my uncle bill smart whom worked there for years he got me a job in there at averys we worked in the same department
when i joined the averys you had to see the nurse for a meical ; and she took my blod pressure during the part of the check
the silly nurse had put the band around my arm to tight and started to pump the pressure but she had put it that tight when it was raising i i passed
and they had to send for my uncle bill to the surgey but i came around and went back to my department they kept an eye on me
but i was okay then there was short time working so i left and went to work at bristol street motors and after a while i went into see the manager
for a pay rise the other blokes working there all laughed at me so i went into the shop floor manager whom was fred wakelin
exmotor bike champion whom was the owners at the time manager for the entire bristol street motor company owned by the cresswell bothers
before coming a ford dealership the two brothers was don and harry cressman two grt blokes
but any way i went in and asked them for a pay rise the shop floor guys was all watching the office door for me to come out and when i did i was smileing
and they called me over and said what did he say and laughed i said yes he gave me a pay rise of 3d they could not beleive it
i was chuffed ;but amonth or two later i wanted to join the army and asked himfor a reference to join the army and they said yes they gave me one and
off i went and joined up when i got my first lave i went back to them to see the old gang as well incidently there yard and compound was just around the corner from averys by the soho hotel pub if you can recall the the rail way arches by the the 95 bus terminus i was up there
thats where they brought the cars for storage and serviced them when they came down from fords but when i came back there was all security on the gates i had to go through them to get into the yard and work places and the security officer said you must be that lad that joined the army he
said i have heard about you when you woked here and hw you march in for a pay rise any way he let through and they was all glad to see me at least ;
my uncle bill was the care taker at lodge rd church with my aunt maud whom lived there oppersite the mental hospital
i had a gret time at averys they was a good firm to work for ; best wishes Astonian

Ithought they were listed Lyn but I don't know if they are still there , there was a blue plaque commemorating William Murdoch's brief spell there

Some of the cottages are still there Lyn. We were taken round them by the museum curator (see start of this thread) and they were in very pooor condition then. Some had been used for storage of papers etc, some unsafe to go in.

HI JFC

i left and went to work at bristol street motors and after a while i went into see the manager
for a pay rise the other blokes working there all laughed at me so i went into the shop floor manager whom was fred wakelin
exmotor bike champion whom was the owners at the time manager for the entire bristol street motor company owned by the cresswell bothers
before coming a ford dealership the two brothers was don and harry cressman two grt blokes
but any way i went in and asked them for a pay rise the shop floor guys was all watching the office door for me to come out and when i did i was smileing
and they called me over and said what did he say and laughed i said yes he gave me a pay rise of 3d they could not beleive it
i was chuffed ;but amonth or two later i wanted to join the army and asked himfor a reference to join the army and they said yes they gave me one and
off i went and joined up when i got my first lave i went back to them to see the old gang as well incidently there yard and compound was just around the corner from averys by the soho hotel pub if you can recall the the rail way arches by the the 95 bus terminus i was up there
thats where they brought the cars for storage and serviced them when they came down from fords ; best wishes Astonian
Hello Astonian. I remember going to Avery's in 1962 on a trip from school to see the latest weighing machines. I worked at Bristol St Motors in 1966. This was on the old soap works, under the arches. I worked in the P.D.I shop as an auto-electrician. I remember Fred Wakelin. Happy days.

HI BOB ;
Was you there before 66 did you meet freds brother inlaw he lived on dudley rd him and his mrs used to rumn a little tiny shop
on dudley rd just before the college arms and next to the little pub ;where the owners daughter marred connie out of the batchelors group
she was a stage dancer at blackpool where they met she brought him home to the pub
and my dear old mother was a big fan of the boys and the morning after they came home to the pub for the week end conie brought mother a cup of tea into the lounge where she was cleaning ; it knocked her off her feet she never washed her face for a week where he kissed her face
i think he was an electrician; and he also done the undersealing under the cars before they was being shipped down to bristol stret from there
would you recall the two londoner brothers from london whom done the car cleaning and old joe the foreman and the guy whom became there chuaffer
for the cressmans he later moved down the bristol street and drove them around on there bussiness
i cannot think of his name but his previous occupation was a chauffer for rich people and he came as a car cleaner but got the job as there chauffer
for the brothers nice to know you worked there bob; best wishes Astonian

Some of the cottages are still there Lyn. We were taken round them by the museum curator (see start of this thread) and they were in very pooor condition then. Some had been used for storage of papers etc, some unsafe to go in.

Think this 1830 engraving shows the cottages. It's a rear view of the foundry from Nineveh Road by Calvert and Radclyffe and was an illustration for their 'Picturesque views and descriptions of towns, castles, mansions ... Etc' The housing/cottages are to the front of the picture. The view is made more picturesque by the addition of woods, which were not, in reality, this dense. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368729004.290038.jpg

At one time Charles and my self worked in Production Engineering Dept.Charles was the Rate-fixer for B dept and had
his office there.I was based on the top floor of the office block.I was doing costing for new and old machines and often
went down to see Charles for advise on assembly times.he was a great help and always had a smile on his face
What a nice gent
Regards
John Hughes

Think this 1830 engraving shows the cottages. It's a rear view of the foundry from Nineveh Road by Calvert and Radclyffe and was an illustration for their 'Picturesque views and descriptions of towns, castles, mansions ... Etc' The housing/cottages are to the front of the picture. The view is made more picturesque by the addition of woods, which were not, in reality, this dense. Viv.View attachment 86452
I think we're getting a bit confused here between Soho Works, which was in Handsworth, and Soho Foundry in Smethwick where three of my sisters worked at different times in the 60s. I remember the two younger ones being reprimanded for being "improperly dressed" because they wore fashionable clothes (must say the younger of the two pushed it a bit by wearing one black stocking and one white though). My eldest sister, Madge, worked in Transport/Despatch (was it?) for years,until she took early retirement to look after Mom, if anyone knew her.

Thanks Oisin, was a bit confused about which 'Soho'. The 'Works' was also referred to as The Mint. Would have been much easier to differentiate between them if they'd kept that title but I suppose they changed to the 'Works' title when their activity expanded and changed. Viv.

Thanks Oisin, was a bit confused about which 'Soho'. The 'Works' was also referred to as The Mint. Would have been much easier to differentiate between them if they'd kept that title but I suppose they changed to the 'Works' title when their activity expanded and changed. Viv.

I have always thought that the main works were called Soho Manufactury which included several buildings including the Mint and the Latchet Works (which were part of the Time Team programme) and the factory in Smethwick was Soho Foundry.

Incidentally the Gates which have stood at Soho Foundry for about 70 years have been returned to Liverpool where they rightly belong. As thses were listed building you can imagine the negotiations and approvals which had to take place. see https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2011/03/16/historic-gates-returning-to-home-city/#ixzz1Gm7jqaMK

Time to revive this thread of Astonite's. Here we have Egington's 1773 view of Soho Manufactory and Swinney's 1774 north-east view of The Soho. Interesting to see that the aristocracy chose to visit the Manufactory as a part of their leisurely entertainment. We can see their coaches drawing up to the main entrance in both views .....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368916514.927220.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1368916545.940290.jpg

But what I really like is this plan of The Mint by George Demidowicz of 1805 showing the acknowledgement of the growing number of visitors with the availability of a 'Tearoom' (and a menagerie?!).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368916875.583804.jpg

Boulton also landscaped the surrounding area so that visitors might take a leisurely stroll around the grounds. Wasn't this a wonderful period? The Enlightenment, great advancements in technology and it all happening on Birmingham turf. Viv.

Two John Phillip views of 1796. This simple sketch is the view across the mill pond. We can see the worker's entrance in the wall with the clock above the arch by which workers could check the time. The second is a view across Soho Pool towards the engine works You can see the bridge over Hockley Brook to the left. How striking that the Manufactory/Mint/Works looked more like a stately home than a typical factory we imagine today. There's even fruit trees growing on the boundary wall. I suppose during this period there was little else to compare it with as most engineering activity was going on in small, cramped workshops. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368976068.126620.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1368976106.784423.jpg

I've stood outside Avery's main gates many a time and never seen those Liverpool ones. I can only guess they're used somewhere inside.

Hello jfc
I have only just come across your thread,I also go to the Avery Pensioners Club
Is your father Jimmy Chant by any chance?
Regards
John Hughes

The gates were situated well inside the complex,just behind a small car park by the canteen and not serving any great
use.as far as I can remember they were painted black all over nothing like they are now in Liverpool.
Regards
JH

Okay, so I know what I wanted to know about the gates I'll move onto the sports ground. Does anyone know what's planned for it? Here is a photo of my sisters and me watching the Punch and Judy show at the annual sports day back in the 50s...

We used to play tennis all the time at Sandon Road sports ground they had 2 excellent shayle courts, 2 very good hard courts and even would you believe .... a grass court.

I remember Avery's sports ground at Sandon Road. As a boy I often walked in and watched the cricket. I think the ground is still derelict. Old versions of the A-Z have always shown proposed roads across the site and gaps are still there between the houses in City Road for these roads to be built.

I've noticed those gaps when walking in City Road. As there doesn't appear to be corresponding gaps in Poplar Avenue I wonder if it was intended for there to be one crescent road?

I've noticed those gaps when walking in City Road. As there doesn't appear to be corresponding gaps in Poplar Avenue I wonder if it was intended for there to be one crescent road?

I assume that this would be so. The interesting thing is that this plan must have been contemporary with the date of the building of the houses in City Road yet they were never built and since the playing field became disused no one seems to have taken up the idea again.

The reason that there has been no building on this sports ground is that the council will not allow it.
There as been many attempts to gain planning permission and all have failed
Who ever owns this site would make a killing if permission was ever given
Regards
JH

Hi anybody remember Ann Coley of the stationary dept. or her mother Lydia Coley. Who be interested to hear from you. Ann and her mom lived in Murdock road. The milkman was Ray who used to go into the café next to the Soho tavern pub. Rayb

Murdock was right oppposite my old Rd - Babington. So very handy for walking to Soho. Im sure my Dad or Mum would have known them.

Back