• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith st..hockley

It is not clear the exact building which was no 1 . /it was either the blue or red building on the c1917 map below

map c1917 showing no 1 smith st  hockley.jpg

thanks for the map mike...i think that tiny section of smith st where no 1 was no longer exists due to gt hampton row taking a slight detour...just out of interest mike what was the name of the pub that was on the corner of smith st and harford st as seen on your map...

lyn

This is so interesting. I have just found out 3 different branches of my ancestors lived on Smith Street from the 1840's through to at least the 1900's, in numbers 29 (a sweetshop), 51 & 68 and 70 (a grocery shop). I've loved seeing the photos of where they would have walked.

This is so interesting. I have just found out 3 different branches of my ancestors lived on Smith Street from the 1840's through to at least the 1900's, in numbers 29 (a sweetshop), 51 & 68 and 70 (a grocery shop). I've loved seeing the photos of where they would have walked.
Any chance the shop was owned by a morris?

No, 29 was Thomas & Fanny Dryhurst, 51 & 68 were William Billington Perkins & Eliza Ann Perkins and 70 was George & Mary Ann Charie followed by their daughter Eliza Perkins.

No, 29 was Thomas & Fanny Dryhurst, 51 & 68 were William Billington Perkins & Eliza Ann Perkins and 70 was George & Mary Ann Charie followed by their daughter Eliza Perkins.
Thanks for answering. Was hoping the grocer was a george william morris. No harm, best of luck with your family history

Back