• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Slade Primary School

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
From British history online site

"THE SLADE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Erdington. Slade Rd. Council Sch. Buildings of G and I depts. opened 1904 by Warws. C.C. and used for 620 M, I until B dept., accom. 310, opened 1906. New B dept. accom. 324 opened 1910 and former building used for JM until 1915 when sch. reorganized for B, G, I. Reorganized 1931 for SB, JM, I. SB dept. became a separate sch. 1945. 2 classrooms in modern sch. used by primary sch. 1949–54, accom. for 2 classes provided 1952 in Stockland Green Methodist Sunday Sch.,(21) and 2 classrooms built 1954. Name changed 1954. Accom. 1961: 14 classrooms, 2 halls".

In 1969 the school did extremely well to be picked to compete against many secondary schools and other primary schools in the Young Scientists of the Year. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 13
Good day, My name is Richard Downing and I remember going to Slade road all boy's school for one year in 1955 and the music teacher was a Mr Nutt and he had been my moms teacher somewhere!!!
I lived very near the corner of Gipsy Lane in Farley Road and first started at Marsh Hill school then rode my bike to Slade road through Brookvale Park, then did three years at Stockland Green Mixed school riding my bike up Marsh hill and as a past time would rub a line in the mud off the back of the bus with my front tire, one time a teacher was standing on the platform as you could in those days, I got disciplined at school for that but it never stopped me, as I had a bad attitude toward school in those days.
I did finally smarten up and joined the Birmingham Mohawks from 1961 to 1965 first at Spring hill rink and then at Silver blades. I met my wife at Spring Hill rink and we are in our 57th year, I wonder if it is her who smartened me up?????

Just come across this thread. I also went to Slade Road school, starting in September 1936. In those days never had a nursery school or anywhere else for children to go before starting school. Even all these years later I still remember my first day. Never parted from Mom before that, so as I was handed over to Miss Jefferies, [yes, even remember her name] I screamed the place down. Stayed there until January 1945 when I started at Handsworth Technical school.
Two teachers stand out, a Mrs Jones, who when she called you out for some misdemeanour, you got showered as she spoke. Then Mr Sheldrake who made you put both hands flat on the desk and strike your knuckles with the edge of a wooden ruler. Enjoyed both schools

Just come across this thread. I also went to Slade Road school, starting in September 1936. In those days never had a nursery school or anywhere else for children to go before starting school. Even all these years later I still remember my first day. Never parted from Mom before that, so as I was handed over to Miss Jefferies, [yes, even remember her name] I screamed the place down. Stayed there until January 1945 when I started at Handsworth Technical school.
Two teachers stand out, a Mrs Jones, who when she called you out for some misdemeanour, you got showered as she spoke. Then Mr Sheldrake who made you put both hands flat on the desk and strike your knuckles with the edge of a wooden ruler. Enjoyed both schools
I remember Mrs Jones, a terrible teacher. When she had to leave the room she would say, "now children i want you all to be absolutely quiet till i get back & there will be a sweet for everyone that stays quiet " Of course when she returned she would say "hands up everyone that's been quiet" Everyone`s hand went up except mine, and she would hand the sweets out & then look at me & say "David have you been a naughty boy again" I despised that woman. On the other hand in the top school i had Mr Jones as teacher & he was brilliant. I was never in Mr Nutts class but i heard the pupils gave him a hard time. Left in 57.

I remember the building of Spaghetti Junction, it was part of my Saturday walk to Villa Park. I also went to Slade Road until 1968 (as did my Dad from the 30s until the early 40s) and I remember the head Mr Spinks, and Mr Conduct before him. The four children in posts 1 & 2 above, would probably have started in 63/4 and left in 1970.

Johnny082's reference to his first day in his post above, made me think back to my own in 1962. Miss West was my first teacher and I joined the class on my birthday (rather than in September, I think my parents must have believed that you didn't start school until you actually were 5;)). I recall that I really didn't think schooling was for me and I was persuaded by a combination of my Mom and Miss West, to see how it went in the morning, before making a decision. At dinner time, I made my way back up the Slade Road and told my parents that I had given it a try and had decided that I was right all along and that school wasn't for me. Needless to say, I was soon on my way back to school for the afternoon lessons:).

Back