• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shops in Victoria Road, Aston

susiemoon

proper brummie kid
Do any of you remember Blakemens Corner shop and
Ali's Indian shop

Also the name of the Bakery next door to the fish and chips shop just before you get to the police station.

Fraid not Suzie but there was a buchers shop and I think it was called Williams's but not sure. Jean.

hi sue
the name of the fish and chipie just before the nick
was gibsons [ gibbies or gibbos we called them ]
i can recall the indian shop on the corner as well but i could not put a name to it but they was highly respectful people
only went in there once or twice for mother
and thats only because goldbergs was closed or they never had it there what she wanted i cannot remember the name of the news agents next to the chippie either thou i was in there every day spending my pennies ,nor the bakery used to get the big top hat cottage loaf from there and the lardercakes and cup cakes
they was the best , yumie ;;; do you remember buckinghams at the top by the traffic lights just passed the police station on the other side of the rd dr grayson was our doctor just down on on park rd inbetween the shops
but gibbing was the chippie next door to the poice station ;;
my grand parents owned a shop across the rd from the police station
my father ran it for grand father until he started to tell him how to run the shop so he told him have your shop back and run it your self
sohe got another member of the family to run it another aunt
have a nice day best wishes astonion ;;;

Wow....all this is bring back so much. The paper shop was run by Mr Walsh and he had a daughter call Cheri.

Greasley Norton the bakers on the corner of Upper Thomas St.The tripe shop across the road from the swimming baths,don't remember the name,but it was our friday night special,hodge and chitterlings.After going swimming,dependent on how much money I had it would be a faggot from the tripe shop...2d.or a bread cob from Greasley Nortons... a halfpenny.

hodge and chitterlings

Now that, people, is REAL food!

There was a chitterling shop on the corner of Bevington Road and Trinity Road, opposite the Rat Pan pub, and when I was very small, in the early 1950's, I remember seeing West Indians queueing up there. I can also remember my gran buying a pair of pig's trotters from that shop; they looked revolting but tasted absolutely delicious.

Off-thread a bit.

Mmmm, hungry now...

Big Gee

Back