• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

shop in great francis street

Alexander Francis Smith

knowlegable brummie
i remember the sweet shop next to the snooker hall in great francis street, the air raid helter that me ans my mom used was underneath the snooker hall, on the opposite side of the road was the junction pub, my mom and dad did bar work there, they were dolly and vic smith, i had many off licence drinks in the outdoor, mom and dad were also in the darts teams as well, they were quite good as i recall,

i remember the sweet shop next to the snooker hall in great francis street, the air raid helter that me ans my mom used was underneath the snooker hall, on the opposite side of the road was the junction pub, my mom and dad did bar work there, they were dolly and vic smith, i had many off licence drinks in the outdoor, mom and dad were also in the darts teams as well, they were quite good as i recall,
Here you are Alex you,ll remember these the Post office was next to the sweet shop. I lived by the Adelaide down the Vauxhall Rd where abouts were you.Dek

hi dek, thankyou so much for the fantastic photos, really brought back memories, i lived at number 69 francis street, and i went to loxton st school, i also remember the italian who made icecream in vauxhall rd corner of erskine st, in the photo of the printers the street to the left is pitney st where i went to work at the brs depot as a van boy, the junction pub was where i would wait outside for my mother to bring me a vimto and a packet of smiths crisps, happy days, missing from the photo are the poles that used to hold the tram wires up of which i used to swing round, i was born in 1935 in sparkhill and came to live in francis street in 1938

Then you must have known the Gregory's that lived next to the snooker hall.

Phil
when we lived there it was the evans family next to the snooker hall, miss rowe was the sweet shop, the little shop next to our opening was owned by a woman named joan you would often see carrying accumalators wich i think she used to charge and above her shop was bud and peter wallace (peter was a dustman) and i think they still live in gt francis st in the new houses, on the other side of us was an old lady named mrs kendrick who i used to run errands for and as payment i always got a half spam sandwich, and then the barbers shop....Our house was number 10, we exchanged with the crowton family from overton place barrack st in about 1956, so we were there from 1956 to about 1968 all the best john coley

John what years were you at ST Vincents(Seniors) I was there 1955- 58 from the age of 12- 15 .I lived at the top of Erskine St. Dek

when we lived there it was the evans family next to the snooker hall, miss rowe was the sweet shop, the little shop next to our opening was owned by a woman named joan you would often see carrying accumalators wich i think she used to charge and above her shop was bud and peter wallace (peter was a dustman) and i think they still live in gt francis st in the new houses, on the other side of us was an old lady named mrs kendrick who i used to run errands for and as payment i always got a half spam sandwich, and then the barbers shop....Our house was number 10, we exchanged with the crowton family from overton place barrack st in about 1956, so we were there from 1956 to about 1968 all the best john coley

John

Forgive me its a long time ago now, you are right the family name was Evans. I don't know where I got Gregory from. I think the christian names for my mate and the two girls were right though. I'm not too sure now but I think Jean was the eldest, then Jimmy, then Margaret. I also went to St Vincents between roughly 54 and 57.

Phil

John what years were you at ST Vincents(Seniors) I was there 1955- 58 from the age of 12- 15 .I lived at the top of Erskine St. Dek
I was there 1955- 1966 sister attracta was the head mistress in 55, also had two brothers patrick and peter in higher years and a sister name margaret a year lower

dek you must have lived by gerald sharkey

I was there 1955- 1966 sister attracta was the head mistress in 55, also had two brothers patrick and peter in higher years and a sister name margaret a year lower

dek you must have lived by gerald sharkey
Yes I lived next door the Sharkeys at no1 next to the Adelaide we the Williams at no3 he was 2 years younger than me. Dek

Have been round with my neighbour Joan tonight reading through the old Birmingham books when she mentioned she came from Francis street. Her name then was Joan Bassett and she Married Jeff Smith. She wondered if anyone out there remembers her and her family?. It would make her day if they did!. Joan is now 83 years of age. Jean.

Jean

Would that be Francis St or Great Francis St or even Little Francis St, and what part of either street did she live?

Phil

Jean

Thats fine, I don't know the lady at least I don't think so, but people who don't know the area so well tend to mix those three roads up, I lived in Francis St myself.

Phil

Hi Alexander

I lived in the middle part of Francis St next to Hardings shop from 1954 to when they demolished the street in roughly 1962 or thereabouts. Where was it you lived.

Phil

Back