• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sherborne Street, Ladywood

In the 1911 Census William Collins is listed as manager of a beerhouse at 81 King Edward's Road. In the 1891 census this is listed as the Woodman Inn

The snips are all no 1 Sherbourne Street but at no point did I find the name Sherbourne Tavern.
I posted them because you put no. 1 as the address.
I think there was a Sh.erbourne Hotel further down the street so will check names later - unless someone beats me to it.
Where did you see it called Sherbourne Tavern?
Thanks Janice - I have a copy of a postcard that was sent there. The address was The Sherborne Tavern, No 1 Sherborne Street

Looking at Kellys Ditectories
There is a William Collins listed as a beer retailer at 25 Cardigan Street in 1899 and 1900 editions
He is listed as at 1 Sherborne St in the 1903 , 1904 , 1908 and 1910 editions
In 1912 he is a beer retailer at 81 King Edwards Road
In 1913 edition he is no longer listed as a beer retailer
The year is the publication date and likely refers to the year before
Mike - that is brilliant - many thanks !!
He wasn't an especially nice bloke by all accounts. I think he drank too much of his own product and my grandfather was a life-long teetotaler as a result.
Is there anywhere I might get a picture of it do you think?

The Sherborne tavern was closed in 1909, at a ti,me that a number of pubs were being closed because of "redundancy. ie that the public were well served for drinking by other pubs in the vicinity

sherborne tavern. birm mail. 11.11.1909.jpg

I have found out today that my husbands maternal grandparents lived at 7 back of 12 Sherborne Street. Has anyone have any pictures, maps or information on the back to backs, family etc who may have known them? My started looking into his family history as he did not know anything about them.

Thank you so much for this. I have just found out my Great Grandfather, James Campbell, lived at 6 court, 2 House Sherborne Street, where he died of TB in 1908.

Wow what a history, have just stumbled on this forum whilst looking up an address in the family history (like most people here). I do go back further (1851 Census) where I have grt grt grandparents living in No4 Back House Sherbourne St, listed after No 16 Front House - so presume road was made up of lots of front houses with entrance next to them to a court (seems to repeat as it lists residents along the road. James Turner was the name, a coal dealer employing one man, living there with family for maybe 5 years. I too googled the street and discovered I was too late (vaguely remember at the start of my research the road still existing, 1990s maybe, but didn't visit!). Any local knowledge much appreciated as I do not come from the area. I will add that tonight I found a photo entitled "the rear of Sherbourne Rd 1963"...the same??? (search.birminghamimages.org.uk)

As far as I can see the numbering in sherborne St did not change. Therefore , although this is much later and there may have been some changes the house in red on the 1880s map below would have been no 16
map c1889 showing no 16 sherborne st.jpg

Last edited:
It is interesting that in the 1849 PO directory Sherborne Wharf nearby had listed only a chemicaL works and 9 coal dealers. No one of them then was James Turner, but I think this is where his business would have been.

Thanks for sharing the map. Can't quite make out red house, but can read that the courts appear to have been identified. Very useful, much appreciated

It is interesting that in the 1849 PO directory Sherborne Wharf nearby had listed only a chemicaL works and 9 coal dealers. No one of them then was James Turner, but I think this is where his business would have been.
The Map you posted highlights the industry around, making coal dealers a key source, good location to be in. I have not yet sourced the PO/Kellys Directories, the census date is 1851, Children born in Birmingham 1846 & 1850 but family moved by 1852 (He was originally from Ashover Derbs and end up in Lambeth Surrey). Maybe childrens birth details will give more information, my next "to-do" Thanks for your help

Sorry Rosie. I posted the area map without no 16 marked, and did not notice. Have now corrected that. The map does now show no 16

There is no relationship between court numbers and house numbering, other than the numbering within the court. It becomes a little complicated as often the courts have names, and which is used often varies.

My great great grandfather John G Harrison owned Grice & Harrison at the Hope Works at 145-146 Sherborne Street and they made cart axles and did some automotive engineering after that. The business was established in 1858, the family lived at the works in the 1871 census, but by 1881 when my great grandmother was born were living out near Edgbaston Reservoir. Does anyone have any picture of the works or know any of the history of the company?Grice & Harrison.jpg

I'm also interested in info about Grice & Harrisons Motor Engineering company. My grandfather worked there around 1920 as a turner for axles.
Thanks for the catalogue image snellingj!

Back