• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st.

:angel: Just type Gosta into the search (Blue band) at the top of the page and a heap of Threads and posts will come up .
Then browse through them and you will find maps, info' and pic's of the area. :cool:

sheep st

hi all every time i see the word sheep st it sends shivers down my spine that was where the school clinic was anyone remember it by the way whats happened to kandor god bless mary x

:angel: Once again if you type 'CLINIC' into the forum search a list of threads will appear including one about 'Having teeth out at the clinic'.

About Kandor ... He is having a break from the forum, he tends to do that from time to time.

Yes that's what I remember Sheep Street for...the house of horrors that was the dental clinic there. Modern dentistry has come a long way, thank goodness, since those days. I suppose that it took time to develop the benign places that we all visit today. I think this has been covered in another thread though.

clinic

hi have i done somethink wrong as i only asked if any of you remembered the clinic in sheep st i dont like the term once again as if you have told me before about it . mary

:angel: Mary sorry if you took my statement 'Once again' the wrong way. I was only trying to help and refering to an earlier post I made to Astonb4 # 26 /#27 about using the forum search engine where he would find heaps of info' on the area.

That post was just above your's # 28 So I thought that you might like to take the same helpful advice hence #29.

misunderstanding

sorry chris i am glad i never upset you my mistake take care mary

Kyrle Hall

used to go to the boys club at the hall many years ago. had a reputation of being haunted by the ghost of John kyrle who was alleged to have thrown himself off the roof. spooky place when no one else in there though.
The Police had a depot in Duke street for years too.

There was a Print Works along Sheep Street back in the 1950's and it could well have been a pub what I remember of it. I wonder what it was before a Print Works.

Re: sheep street clinic

Hi everyone
I used to live in sheep st from 1953-1960 and remember the clinic and Kyrle Hall very well

hi wright...would you have any pics of sheep st or buck st as i know of another member who has been searching for some....

cheers...

astoness:)

Me too, a lot of my rellies lived in Sheep St in the late 19thc. I should be really interested, even though the pics would obviously be more recent !

Hi Astoness.
I am very sorry I have no pics . We lived at no36 Sheep st next to the grocer shop owned by Mr and Mrs Jones. It was a 2 bedroom back to back house . It was very small inside with no bathroom and we had to share the toilet with other families and was located in the back yard, where there was also an air raid shelter. I went t Bishop Ryder school in Gem St.
Does anyone remember the Gaiety picture house in Dale End I spent nearly every Saturday morning there. ?

hi wright...no worries...i think its one of those streets where pics elude us...ive even searched the archives at the central library...i am sure something will turn up eventualy...

astoness:)

hi wright, i used to live in lawrence st till 1957, i rember mrs jones very well,
we used to get chasedfrom your yard by the chap at the bottom of the entery.
our back entery was facing your house in sheep st. i to went to bishop ryders till 1954, & used the clinic ,kyrle hall & the gaiety pics in colesill st every sat morning,
here,s a few pics i hope you like them terry.

Love the photo of Lawrence Street with Sheep Street. My 2 x gt.grandmother and family lived in Sheep Street in the 1870s and I have always wanted to know what it was like then. My grandma was born in Lawrence Street, I didn't realise it was so near to Sheep Street. Thanks for the photo.

Judy

This photo of Lily Place, Gem Street was taken in 1910. Its hard to believe now, that people were still living in these hovels. I wonder when they were finally demolished. I bet it wasn't before the 40's or 50's.

Phil

Attachments

• Gosta Green Lily PLace Gem St 1910 .jpg
    Gosta Green Lily PLace Gem St 1910 .jpg
    119 KB · Views: 52
Thanks TCWARDPLUMBERS
It was great to see the pics they bring back many memories
We were great friends with the family that lived right next door to the entry that lead to your house (the Cosgroves an Irish family) We were always in and out of each others houses. Do you remember the police station in Duke st?

wonderful photo phil of gem st even though they left a lot to be desired:rolleyes:all we need now is to try and find one of buck st..ive searched all over...no luck so far.....

lyn:):)

Thanks for sharing the photo of Sheep Street, in 1861 my g.g. grandfather John Raybould and family were living at 40 Sheep Street, he was the publican of the Dog & Duck. It would be wonderful if someone could post a photo of it.

hi wright, thank you for your repy, i remember the cosgroves very well ,i grew up with the elder ones,hers a couple more pic,s i think we just missed you house, terry

lynn i hope this one of sheep st helps you terry, its got kyrle hall & the clinic,
i think there was a pub on the site befor kyrle hall was built many years ago terry

hi terry...its robert who ive been looking out for.....he will be well pleased...is that a rellie of your standing in sheep st.....

cheers...

lyn:)

hi lynn, thanks for your reply, & great pic of rising sun, the ladie in the pic was an old freind who i met up with on the forum she lived in c terrace, she now lives in walesthanks to her for the pic terry

hi phil, another great pic from you -gem st thanks again terry

terry would you thank your friend for the pic...glad you like the rising sun one i was not sure if it had been posted before or not....

lyn:)

hi wright, thank you for your repy, i remember the cosgroves very well ,i grew up with the elder ones,hers a couple more pic,s i think we just missed you house, terry

lynn i hope this one of sheep st helps you terry, its got kyrle hall & the clinic,
i think there was a pub on the site befor kyrle hall was built many years ago terry

That's a smashing photo of Kyrle Hall, the best i've seen. I don't remember it but my parents used to go there in the late forties. It means a lot to me seeing this as i recently lost my Mom. Do you have any more of this area as i'm trying to build up a picture of it in my head as i'm a bit too young to remember it all. My Dad lived at 57 Lawrence St next to the shop on the corner of Gem Street. My Mom lived on Aston Rd near the Delicia.

Hi TCWARDPLUMBERS
I loved the photos .
So you knew the Cosgroves Paddy,Eileen and Kathy.
My best friend was Barbara who also had a twin called Bummer.
I also knew Michael Cowley who lived in the house behind the lady in the picture
I have been inside Kyrle Hall . I used to attend dancing class and we put on a show there. We were always looking through the doors to see what was going on
But we were always a bit frightened as we also thought it was haunted. We used to play around the back of Kyrle Hall.
My dad also used to work at Southalls which was opposite Kyrle Hall

Back