• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shaw Hill school Anthony Road School

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This is titled Alum Rock Road School c1910, but the houses to the rear are those on Anthony Road. Viv.
169A6748-6EF6-4CBB-8814-C766C654685C.jpeg

Last edited:
I attended Shaw Hill School in the 1970's. It was/is located on Anthony Road, Alum Rock. It was mostly Victorian with a modern section above the boiler house inside the school grounds. (Bombed in the war). The outside was totally Victorian though. Shaw Hill School had an extensive playground with a row of trees against one wall and a set of open fronted bike sheds (Always empty), now taken up with modern outbuildings, I believe modern children are corralled. Our imaginations ran wild in such a large space!

The British History Inline site describes this school as:

“ANTHONY ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Saltley. Alum Rock Rd. Council Sch. opened 1901 by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 1,110 M, I, in classes of 50, instead of 60 as then usual. By 1915 said to be the most overcrowded sch. in Birm. Nansen Rd. Council Sch. was intended to remedy this. Reorganized 1931 for JM, I. Numbers fell steadily and depts. united 1939. I dept. damaged by enemy action 1940. Repaired by 1949. Accom. in St. Mary's and St. John's vestry provided 1953. Name changed 1954. Accom. 1955: 17 classrooms, annexe, hall”.

The school still seems to have many of its original buildings, except the chimney/air shaft (?) has gone. Maybe due to WW2 enemy action ?

Viv.

56D31866-E015-49DB-A72F-BF8D17637515.jpeg
AA40A8F1-B39E-4CEA-AF08-3E3976F07D90.jpeg

The British History Inline site describes this school as:

“ANTHONY ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Saltley. Alum Rock Rd. Council Sch. opened 1901 by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 1,110 M, I, in classes of 50, instead of 60 as then usual. By 1915 said to be the most overcrowded sch. in Birm. Nansen Rd. Council Sch. was intended to remedy this. Reorganized 1931 for JM, I. Numbers fell steadily and depts. united 1939. I dept. damaged by enemy action 1940. Repaired by 1949. Accom. in St. Mary's and St. John's vestry provided 1953. Name changed 1954. Accom. 1955: 17 classrooms, annexe, hall”.

The school still seems to have many of its original buildings, except the chimney/air shaft (?) has gone. Maybe due to WW2 enemy action ?

Viv.

View attachment 154432
View attachment 154433
I went to this school from 1945 to 1951. Head Teacher Mr Brock. Used to polish his desk on a Friday afternoon. They were good times. We went on a coach trip to London for the Big exhibition in 1951. We always had Bowens Coaches and their house I think is one of the ones at the back of this picture. I lived in Ludlow Road anf remember the hill up Alderson Road to Anthony Road. Our neighbors were Mr and Mrs George Thomas. and Mr and Mrs Brown. Used to love going to the Saturday flicks at The Grand or The Rock. Really lovely memories of Birmingham and try to visit as often as I can now.

I went to Anthony Road Primary school from 1945 to 1951. My brother was there during the war. I remember polishing Mr Brocks desk on a Friday afternoon. I played skittleball for the school team. Had a good time there. Teachers. Mrs Hewitt, Miss Mottram. Mr Butcher, Mr Bates. Passed 11 plus and went to Saltley Grammar School. Lived on Ludlow road. Remember Southalls hooter everyday at 12.00. Fond memories. Mary

Back